Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Accident  (Read 4107 times)

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
Accident
« on: November 13, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »

Last night I got hit by a car that was coming out of a parking lot. (2002 1800R) The guy was not paying attention at all. I swerved and he hit my highway bar and slid down and crushed the passenger floorboard into the rear shock and damaged the exhaust along the way. Because I reacted quickly, I was able to not go down. He barely missed my leg. The Harris County Deputy gave the guy a ticket for causing the accident. (failure to yield right of way or something like that.) He has good insurance.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I have the insurance adjuster coming over to the house to look at the bike, then I am to take it to get an estimate. Is there anything I should or should not do during this process? Any dealers that are better than others in the Houston area for this kind of work?

2. I have right side damage to the highway bar (Cobra), highway peg (Kury), exhaust, (Roadhouse) passenger floorboard (Cobra) and passenger floorboard mount, saddle bag (Hondaline), rear shock and the clutch cover is scratched up. Also the top mounting point for the highway bar is bent. I believe the passenger floorboard mount is a bolt-on item but I do not know about the top mounting point for the highway bar. If they decide this is fixable, will they allow me to replace the parts myself?

Here are some pics.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/wwaggett/?action=view&current=21afa8a7.pbw

Any help is appreciated. Warren

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: Accident
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »

PM sent
02 1800C

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:08:37 PM »

Glad you're okay!  I figured frame damage before I saw the pics.  Good luck through the claims process, it can be a headache.   :-\

07VTXPredator

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:31:38 PM »

From my experience, most insurance companies cut you a check for whatever the initial appraisal is.  However, by doing the work yourself...if, as you are working, you find more damage that was related to the accident, then you are SOL on the cost of those parts whereas if you take it to an approved repair shop/dealer then the shop will put in a secondary claim with the insurance and the insurance will issue a second check to cover whatever additional costs there are.

Sorry to hear about your bike, but at least YOU weren't injured.  Hope you get it all sorted out relatively quickly.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Pug

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »

Listen to Hip...he sees things from both sides of the badge. And don't sign anything quickly with the adjuster. Get more than one bid on putting everything back into "as new" condition.

Best of luck (and you've got some -- glad you weren't hurt).

O0
2006 1800R Spec2 Lightly Farkled -- RIP: ST1300 ABS / BMW R1100RT / 2008 GL1800 / 2006 VTX 1300S / 1997 Aspencade 1500

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »

Sorry that happened to you. Glad you're fine. Take your time and get it done right.
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Kentagious

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:52:02 PM »

Glad your ok O0 Hope all goes ok fixing it.
I guess it don't seem wrong if it ain't being done to you.
2015 Victory Cross Country Tour
04' VTX 1300 S

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 07:01:21 AM »

Whew... you were certainly not riding faster than your angel was flying!
My now long gone VTX...

JustinVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 08:21:20 AM »

If your bike is paid off, the insurance company will cut you a check directly.  If not, it will be jointly issued to you and the repair facility of your choice.  But be carefull, and don't sign off after the first check.  I had to argue with the insurance company and ended up with 3 more checks sent out to me.  Their first estimate was $1200.00, and the final amount was over $5000.00.  Do Not let them screw you over, because that is their intent.  They want a quick settlement with a low payout.  Do not sign off on the settlemeny claim until YOU are satisfied with the repairs.  Trust me, as I have been working on my bike since my July accident, and I still don't have it back to the way it was.

Good luck,
Jim

Justin VTX

DagoRed

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 08:26:16 AM »

Good reaction and glad to hear you were not hurt. O0

KEBS

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Spring, Texas
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »

Very glad you were not hurt.  I took my bike to their preferred dealer and every part they put on has a lifetime warranty because it was preferred.   Had I taken it to my own dealer or done the work myself it would have only been good for a year.  Also, payment wise I never had any problems, my insurance company waited until everything was said and done then sent a check to the dealership for me to sign.  They then went after the other guys insurance for the 15,000 max it paid out since it wasn't enough to fix my bike.
Becca
2002 Silver VTX 1800C - no more it's gone gone
2007 FXSTSSE (HD Soft Tail Springer Screaming Eagle 110)
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

http://www.myspace.com/spankmesweet

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 01:15:56 PM »

Thank you all for the replies.

Becca, the insurance co. is USAA and they do not insure bikes. My only problem with Progressive (my insurance co.) is that I only have $1000.00 in accessory coverage. 95% of the damage I have is in the accessories. What I hope is that USAA will cut me a check for the amount the dealership would charge to repair/replace/install the damaged parts. Then I can do the work myself, or atleast decide what I want to do and have the dealership do the rest.

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 01:30:58 PM »

Glad your ok and nothing serious with yourself and the bike can be repaired
Alvin,Texas

BobB

• Old Timer
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »

There are a couple of things to consider:

1.  Is the bike paid for?  If it is they will cut a check tou you.  If not to you and who is doing the repair work.

2.  If it is clear that the other guy is at fault, then you have an option to get a couple of bids, or at least one by a dealer and get them to make it out to you.  The concern is hidden damage so don't agree to close the case until you know for sure what needs to be done.

When I had mine the other guy's insurance did it any way I wanted, they were concerned is would sue.

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 02:47:08 PM »

I just talked to the USAA rep. and she told me that USAA will go by their adjusters estimate and not the dealers... I think that is totally wrong!!   >:( I am going to take it to the dealer and get an estimate and fight for every penny. I can't believe that USAA (does not insure bikes) would have an adjuster qualified to do that kind of an estimate without putting the bike on a rack and getting a good 360 degree look at it like the dealers would.  :( :(

My bike is paid for, so I don't have to worry about another party being involved.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal