Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: amsoil...my 5 mile impressions  (Read 1946 times)

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
amsoil...my 5 mile impressions
« on: October 22, 2007, 05:53:34 AM »

So I changed my oil Sunday morning, switched over to Amsoil, OEM filter.  Everything went smooth as silk.  Warmed 'er up on the stand, took it down, threw on my helmet and went for a shake-down cruise.  My first first first impression of the oil was that the bike seemed to crank not as hard when I hit the starter.  I'm not 100% positive that's not because it was 5 minutes of running warm, so I'll withhold that judgment ENTIRELY until the next time I start 'er up.  I didn't ride today, just wasn't feeling like getting wet, and more importantly, I hate letting it sit and get rained on.  I really need a cover. 

Second judgment is that it sure does shift better.  The shifting is just smoother and less clunky.  There's still a clunk, but it's a lot less discernible. 

I don't have much else to say.  I didn't get to ride around the rest of the day nor today, but I doubt either of those issues would change.  LOL  So I'm thinking it's a good deal.
My now long gone VTX...

JustinVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: amsoil...my 5 mile impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:27:53 AM »

When I went to synthetic, I noticed that it shifted a lot smoother too.  I didn't notice the ease of cranking, but I never pay attention unless it does not start, and that has never been a problem either.

Justin VTX

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:03:17 AM »

I have really pitch-sensitive hearing, so I just happened to have heard it.  How long do you go between synth oil changes?
My now long gone VTX...

JustinVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »

5K on the last one

Justin VTX

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:59:41 AM »

So I rode a lot more on the Amsoil this morning.  It was pretty chilly to start up, and I really felt that it started better and warmed up better than the dino I'd been running.  I'm very pleased with the performance of the oil so far...enough that I'll get the stupid dealer thing and buy it by the 4 gallon allotment.  I have friends who have bikes, so maybe I'll arrange a group buy.
My now long gone VTX...

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:54:58 AM »

If you had an oil temperature gauge you'd notice that your synthetic oil runs a few degrees cooler than the old stuff, too.
02 1800C

DK98K

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »

How does the oil perform compared to the Pro Honda HP4 Syn 10w40 w/o Moly? I run a Mobil M1-110 filter and this oil. I have looked into Royal Purple but was told at the dealer this was no good for my VTX 1800R. I am just lost how about that. :-\

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »

Your dealer lied.
02 1800C

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »

Rotella does the same thing for half the money.  :o

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 04:20:09 PM »

Shell Rotella isn't a full synth, is it?
My now long gone VTX...

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »

Seems like I remember someone saying the honda pro synth wasn't all synth either, but a blend with dino. Not sure though. Brain's gettin' weak ::) :o ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

DK98K

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 07:13:20 PM »

That's correct on the Pro Honda HP4 it is only a Semi-syn. oil. Has anyone used the Mobil 1 4T 10w40 motorcycle oil? I may go with the Royal Purple Max Cycle 10w40 if it's not going to void my warranty. I knew the dealer was pulling my leg on this. ;)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 12:13:40 AM »

The Mobil One and the Royal Purple are both good oils. I believe the RP has a higher moly ratio, but it is not enough to be a problem. I used to use RP and Heirloom has been using it for several years now -- no problems reported. FWIW I have settled on Amsoil as my lubricant of choice. If something happens that I cannot get Amsoil I will go back to the RP.
02 1800C

Dusty

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 04:56:22 AM »

Many many moons ago Tapper wrote this article about oils. If you have never read it and are interested here's the link.

http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?sid=230561&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=39&id=32&artlang=en

I also found this thread that addresses the oil issue.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5883&highlight=oil+4000

It's humorous to me how heated the conversation can get about oil sometimes.

This post pretty much sums it up for me and the oil issue:

Quote by ILuv_UMan

Tapper wrote:
Luvuman: I agree Rotella is about as good as regular Dino oil gets. The TBN (Total Base Number) basically measures the amount of detergent in the oil (which, as you say, keeps the oil from becoming too acidic). Acidic oil will mainly attack gaskets and seals, first, and tends to diminish the viscosity of the oil in a fairly short time.

As to VI's, nearly all manufacturers use the same compound to jack up the viscosity - very little difference there between oils. What makes Rotella good, is the robust additive package it employs.

If I couldn't afford synthetic, I'd be using Rotella.

Tapper:

I can afford synthetic. In fact in Winter I use Synthetic Rotella 5-40 ($12+ for 5 quarts). However I also live in Utah, where for almost the last month of winter, the temperature hasn't been above freezing even during the daytime. In the summer I go to the higher viscosity 15-40 Shell Rotella (only $6+ for 5 quarts).

I learned a long time ago, to not throw money away on what I perceive as overkill.

Today's oils are far superior to anything that has ever been on the market.

I'm not racing in the Indy500 nor Daytona.

If you really think the oil most synthetic people put in is 2 to 5 times (cost is 2 to 5 times more) superior to the oil I use, I hate to tell you your sadly mistaken.

But, you certainly have the right to put whatever oil, filters and premium fuel and whatever else you want to spend for your scoot.

DK98K

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 01:23:59 AM »

This article was really helpful thanks. O0

Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal