Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Texas DOT to Install Federally Funded Highway Speed Cameras  (Read 4628 times)

Pug

• Old Timer
Texas DOT to Install Federally Funded Highway Speed Cameras
« on: October 07, 2007, 05:58:56 PM »

Texas DOT to Install Federally Funded Highway Speed Cameras  :'(
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1800.asp

Despite the opposition of the state legislature, the Texas Department of Transportation proposes a federally funded speed camera test.

Despite the near-unanimous opposition in the state legislature to the use of speed cameras, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is moving forward on a proposal to deploy photo radar on state highways using federal gas tax funds. Legislation awaiting Governor Rick Perry's signature prohibited only municipalities -- like Marble Falls and Rhome -- from installing automated speeding ticket systems. It was silent on the possibility of a state-run system (read legislation).

TxDOT began searching in April for a vendor that, using federal funds, would allow the agency "to assess and evaluate all elements of an automated speed notification system." Once selected, the vendor would operate an average time speed camera test for at least six months on Interstate 10 near El Paso and State Highway 6 near College Station.

Time-distance ticketing systems use multiple cameras spaced far apart on a freeway. Each car is photographed once as it enters the first section of road. Miles later a second photograph is taken that allows the vehicle's average speed to be calculated from the time it took to travel between the two locations. In use in Britain under the trade name SPECS, these cameras are commonly referred to as "yellow vultures" and are among the most lucrative in the country.

In its request for proposals, TxDOT cited success of speed cameras in the UK and Washington, DC. The UK government generated £120 million (US $240 million) in revenue in 2003 while the Washington, DC red light and speed camera program has issued $217 million in tickets since 1999. TxDOT's vendor will send notices -- warnings at first -- to motorists driving just 5 MPH over the limit with an accuracy level of +/- 2 MPH, meaning those driving just 3 MPH over the limit could receive a photograph and letter in the mail.

The River Cities Daily Tribune, which first reported the story last week, noted that TxDOT also ordered Marble Falls to remove its speed camera van from state highways in April citing safety concerns.

"How hypocritical is that?" Marble Falls Mayor Raymond Whitman told the Daily Tribune. "I have a bit of a problem with it, not because they're using the camera, but because if it's unsafe for us to use, how can it be safe for the state to do it?"
2006 1800R Spec2 Lightly Farkled -- RIP: ST1300 ABS / BMW R1100RT / 2008 GL1800 / 2006 VTX 1300S / 1997 Aspencade 1500

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
Re: Texas DOT to Install Federally Funded Highway Speed Cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 06:40:47 PM »

>:( >:( >:(

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Tarkington Prairie (45 miles ne of houston)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:46:45 PM »

guess i should go ahead and start saving for those tickets then.....

justin69

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "NO PAIN, NO STAIN!!!" Ft. worth
    • http://myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 08:17:24 PM »

guess i should go ahead and start saving for those tickets then.....

+1 >:(

OCIFFER, I SweAr To DRunK I'M NoT GoD!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider

jackandangie

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »

Back in the late 60's or early 70's these things were starting to be all the rage. Then, they disappeared because a person successfully fought and won a case and they were declared unconstitutional because you were not allowed to face your accuser. I wonder how long it will be before somebody cites the decision and they all have to be taken down. I wish I knew the case.

Jack

Pug

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »

That's the kicker. With the new digital technology, the foto with the digital radar speed super-imposed has already been proven in the courts in Texas. You'd think those yahoos in Austin had better things to do with their time...  >:(
2006 1800R Spec2 Lightly Farkled -- RIP: ST1300 ABS / BMW R1100RT / 2008 GL1800 / 2006 VTX 1300S / 1997 Aspencade 1500

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 10:29:19 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder how long it will take here in texas before "the boys" start sighting in their deer rifles on the cameras......
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Kentagious

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 05:24:05 AM »

When the red light cameras came out, I had a feeling a speed camera was next. Our government has a way of always expanding. Example: didn't DUI start at .10 but now is .08. When I hear new protests now about government taking away rights, I listen alittle different.
I guess it don't seem wrong if it ain't being done to you.
2015 Victory Cross Country Tour
04' VTX 1300 S

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 05:26:07 AM »

Hmmm, I wonder how long it will take here in texas before "the boys" start sighting in their deer rifles on the cameras......
hee hee

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 08:19:30 AM »

This was the case with "Orbis", which were cameras situated on Pioneer 303 in Arlington back in the 70's. They were large and put out in the open, making them easy targets for motorists. Most of then ended up shot to pieces.

I would imagine that they would be smaller and put in "harder to hit" places today.
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 09:25:47 AM »

Back in the late 60's or early 70's these things were starting to be all the rage. Then, they disappeared because a person successfully fought and won a case and they were declared unconstitutional because you were not allowed to face your accuser. I wonder how long it will be before somebody cites the decision and they all have to be taken down. I wish I knew the case.

Jack

This may be why they send three pictures. My sister got one of those stoplight tickets and they showed her comming to the light, at the light and about 20 ft past it....all showing speed in the corner of the pic.

Aparently now you can get a mailed ticket if you don't make a complete stop while turning on a red light.

*Closet Darksider*

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Tarkington Prairie (45 miles ne of houston)
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »

Jack

This may be why they send three pictures. My sister got one of those stoplight tickets and they showed her comming to the light, at the light and about 20 ft past it....all showing speed in the corner of the pic.

Aparently now you can get a mailed ticket if you don't make a complete stop while turning on a red light.

ya, it was on the new for the past few weeks that they were going to start doing that.....

jackandangie

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

Another complaint is that yellow light times have decreased. NHSTA recommends that yellow lights last at least 8 seconds. Around here, 4 seconds is long. At some intersections the yellow lights are so short that if the light changed at the same time as you hit the intersection, it would be red before you reached the other side... a total impossibility to stop at. A friend of mine got a ticket by cameras watching the train tracks for going around the barrier arms. In the picture the arms are still upright. He went down and took a video that showed the flashing red lights came on the instant the camera flashed and the same time the arm started to move. I believe with some careful measurements a lot of redlight tickets could be beaten just by proving that it would be impossible to stop given the parameters.

Jack

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 04:27:33 PM »

Another complaint is that yellow light times have decreased. NHSTA recommends that yellow lights last at least 8 seconds. Around here, 4 seconds is long. At some intersections the yellow lights are so short that if the light changed at the same time as you hit the intersection, it would be red before you reached the other side... a total impossibility to stop at. A friend of mine got a ticket by cameras watching the train tracks for going around the barrier arms. In the picture the arms are still upright. He went down and took a video that showed the flashing red lights came on the instant the camera flashed and the same time the arm started to move. I believe with some careful measurements a lot of redlight tickets could be beaten just by proving that it would be impossible to stop given the parameters.

Jack
good idea, but I am just way to lazy. Ill just eat crow and pay it.
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal