Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pipes  (Read 1688 times)

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Tarkington Prairie (45 miles ne of houston)
pipes
« on: October 04, 2007, 06:03:45 AM »

im about to get a set of HK3's used.  they come with the mounting brackets and all.  im wondering, what else will i need?  do i need to get new gaskets or anything else?  im going to try to avoid rejetting if at all possible, but i guess ill see how that goes.....

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: pipes
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:13:13 AM »

New gaskets for sure O0
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

rbrown

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:48:32 AM »

You'll also need a good pry tool to get the old gaskets out. It won't even look like you have any but they're in there. I actually used a hawk blade box cutter so I could get in behind the gasket and pry it out. It took a while but I eventually got it. It's also important to use some anti seize on the threads when you're putting your new pipes on. You may also want to use some good lubricant on your threads and let them soak for a while before attempting to break the acorn nuts. I think there have been a number of people that have twisted off the bolts because the acorn nuts were frozen on there. Once you put your new pipes on then tightening them evenly and torqued to specs is critical. Ride for about 50 miles and torqued them again to make sure they haven't loosened up a little.

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:09:08 AM »

You'll also need a good pry tool to get the old gaskets out. It won't even look like you have any but they're in there. I actually used a hawk blade box cutter so I could get in behind the gasket and pry it out. It took a while but I eventually got it. It's also important to use some anti seize on the threads when you're putting your new pipes on. You may also want to use some good lubricant on your threads and let them soak for a while before attempting to break the acorn nuts. I think there have been a number of people that have twisted off the bolts because the acorn nuts were frozen on there. Once you put your new pipes on then tightening them evenly and torqued to specs is critical. Ride for about 50 miles and torqued them again to make sure they haven't loosened up a little.

good advice, much appreciated  O0

rbrown

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:12:25 AM »

Glad to help. The hardest part of the whole job is getting the old gaskets out.

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 07:15:39 AM »

are the torque specs in the manual?

rbrown

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 07:21:14 AM »

They are. It's 17 ft. lbs. Go to the thread that I put on there for 1300's under Garage and then click the CA VTX link. There's a link for torque specs. 54 ft. lbs. for the exhaust bracket that attaches to the frame.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:54:18 AM by rbrown »

justin69

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "NO PAIN, NO STAIN!!!" Ft. worth
    • http://myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »

Glad to help. The hardest part of the whole job is getting the old gaskets out.

that aint no lie :P

OCIFFER, I SweAr To DRunK I'M NoT GoD!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider

rbrown

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 07:24:04 PM »

I swore the first time that there weren't any crush gaskets in mine because they were almost seamless to the manifold but they were there. I think half the problem is just having the right tool to pry them out that won't bend under the pressure.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal