Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: stebel horn install  (Read 5321 times)

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
stebel horn install
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:04:24 PM »

Has anyone mounted a stebel?  I really want to do this and I'm not electronically inclined....
My now long gone VTX...

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
Re: stebel horn install
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 12:29:49 PM »

Has anyone mounted a stebel?  I really want to do this and I'm not electronically inclined....

No - but I heard BigPro mounted a sheep one time! ;D
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

rbrown

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 07:36:57 PM »

I installed my Stebel. Can I help?

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 07:55:52 PM »

I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:56:40 PM »

No - but I heard BigPro mounted a sheep one time! ;D

thats just too damn funny pete!  O0 ;D ;D ;D
but i heard it was more than once.

www.pepsX.com

rbrown

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »

Here's another good link http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192162&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=stebel&start=25. I actually mounted mine under my tank and you can't even see it but you sure can hear it. 8)

Here's a link to a picture of my install under the tank. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=197446&highlight=stebel
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:06:49 PM by rbrown »

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 08:23:14 AM »

Here's another good link http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192162&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=stebel&start=25. I actually mounted mine under my tank and you can't even see it but you sure can hear it. 8)

Here's a link to a picture of my install under the tank. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=197446&highlight=stebel

thats a good link.
one of these days ill take the time to take my tank off and make a "under the tank bracket" so people will have another option. the zip ties will work good and last a long time, but i prefer a bolt on mount. i need to find a bike with a stock airbox to fit the horn and bracket to.

www.pepsX.com

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:53:12 AM »

We (crazyredneck and I) mounted mine to the frame under the tank. Had to modify the stock air box so it would fit.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »

Yeah, I've printed it out and read it...  LOL  And I'm STILL chicken-stuff to try it "alone."
My now long gone VTX...

rbrown

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 02:39:28 PM »

PepsX, I agree it would have been better to use a bracket around the frame. I think you have a good bracket, as well, and I have your stand, which is awesome. If you make one for under the tank then I'll definitely buy one. I guess I was concerned about drilling holes in the frame even though I know it's done all the time.

Morgan, if you need help installing it then I'll be glad to help. It's really not that hard but does take a little time.

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 06:07:40 AM »

PepsX, I agree it would have been better to use a bracket around the frame. I think you have a good bracket, as well, and I have your stand, which is awesome. If you make one for under the tank then I'll definitely buy one. I guess I was concerned about drilling holes in the frame even though I know it's done all the time.

Morgan, if you need help installing it then I'll be glad to help. It's really not that hard but does take a little time.

why would you worry about drilling two small holes in the square tube frame? thoes two 1/16" holes are not going to weaken it a bit. rust maybe? you can use locktite on the bolts and that will also seal the raw metal.
now if you were going to drill some 1/2 holes all the way through the tube, then i MIGHT be concerned.

www.pepsX.com

rbrown

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 06:45:19 AM »

You're right. Two small holes wouldn't be that big of deal. I guess reading about the horn failure due to turning the horn the wrong way was another reason I decided to locate it under the tank. I guess it really just comes down to personal choice where to locate it. One thing is clear though - the Stebel horn is a lot better than the stock horn. I'm thinking about adding a second one where my stock horn is. O0

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 08:23:33 AM »

You're right. Two small holes wouldn't be that big of deal. I guess reading about the horn failure due to turning the horn the wrong way was another reason I decided to locate it under the tank. I guess it really just comes down to personal choice where to locate it. One thing is clear though - the Stebel horn is a lot better than the stock horn. I'm thinking about adding a second one where my stock horn is. O0

be careful with that. the horn will ding your front fender when you go over a speedbump! the fork travel is more than you think.

and I love the stebel horn....it can make a cat fly.

www.pepsX.com

rbrown

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 08:50:34 AM »

Thanks. I didn't know that. It will definitely wake them up. Two would be better so maybe under the battery using your bracket. O0

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 09:14:45 AM »

If you have a retro, there is a great expanse of unused space in the pointed rear fender behind the rear tire...just a shield to block the water directly off it and you're ready to scare some cats! eeeeRRR, sorry Tom! ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal