Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saddlebags  (Read 1815 times)

sem_bunda

Saddlebags
« on: September 07, 2007, 02:23:40 PM »

Looking for Xers opinion on non-leather bolt-on bags.  I would like to get saddlebags and do not like throw-over/zip-on bags.  Any suggestions on bags that are great or ones to avoid with the 1300S?

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: Saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 02:31:26 PM »

If you can afford them BossBags are generally acknowledged to be the best. Leatherlykes are really nice, and not as expensive. Another option would be virtually any bags you like, leather or synthetic, mated to EasyBrackets.
02 1800C

Maw Maw

• Old Timer
  • Liberty Hill, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »

I have the Leatherlyke bags and trunk.  I love them and can get a bunch of stuff in them.
Pat
2004 VTX 1300

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 04:51:43 PM »

I can tell you that you will be much happier in the long run if you go ahead and get the best from the get go. I have pissed off so much money on cheaper bags instead of spending the 5 to 600 from the start and I am still not happy. I could have two sets of good bags for all the cheap ones I have purchased.

smooth x

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Centerville, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 06:45:39 PM »

I have the boss bags and they work great. They are very expensive but well worth the money!

MODS Who has those things???? Ride it like you Stole it......

rbljack

• Tejano
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 01:56:11 AM »

I also heard good things about the boss bags....the only negative was/is the price. I found a set used and they are being shipped to my house by tuesday. I'll throw a post on here once I have them in hand. Although I prefer the look of the X without saddlebags, we kinda need em for all the crap we will be packing for the Ruidoso Rally on next weekend. later O0
2002 VTX 1800 C model, Illusion Blue

Bomber

• Old Timer
  • 03' 1800R slightly modded......
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 01:57:20 AM »

I like my harley bagz! Would probably work on a 1300.

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »

I've got the leatherlykes.  They are made about 20 minutes from my house (Bulverde, TX - I live in Blanco, TX).  I was able to call them and in 3 days go pick them up.  The down side to ordering and getting them here in Texas is you have to pay taxes.  Ordering from other states (on the internet) you don't have to pay taxes, but might have to pay shipping.  Anyway, they are simple to put on, if I remember right, you have to order the appropriate mounting brackets for the bike you are putting them on.  They lock and are easy to take off and put back on.  For the $$ they are good and I'm sure there are others.  I, like some others, have wasted some good $$ on the throw over kind.  If you want some of those give me a holler and I'll give you a pair.  They are just sitting around collecting dust and I will NEVER put them back on my bike....

brentos

• Old Timer
  • Austin, Texas
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 05:26:55 PM »

If you have a couple grand laying around or can find some used ones on the interweb (they cost half that when I got mine or I could not have afforded them), I like my Corbin Beetle Bags but they are a polarizing style.
Brent Johnston - '05 1300S beetle bags, switchblade 2-up, Corbin dual tour, Roadhouse slip-ons, Fatty Beach Bars, etc.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 05:32:25 PM »

i agree with what tom said. i've got the leatherlyke bags as well. easy on and off, plus the mounting brackets aren't too bad looking with the bags off. i've had mine for well over a year and have no complaints.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

smooth x

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Centerville, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 06:35:07 PM »

Me likes..... Where did you get this set-up.....

MODS Who has those things???? Ride it like you Stole it......

Bomber

• Old Timer
  • 03' 1800R slightly modded......
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:38:51 PM »

Me likes..... Where did you get this set-up.....

Came from a chap on the north side of Sault St Marie, MI.  He machined/fabricated all  the mounts for the fairing, bags, and trunk to build up the bike.  Got the fairing, bags, and trunk from junk yards.  Put in six speakers where the instruments resided on the Glide.  I couldn't believe it when I saw it on Ebay.  Sometimes you DON'T get ripped off on Ebay Motors!  I was one of the lucky ones!  He trailered it to Madison, WI (he was picking up Yamaha's touring/cruiser to customize) and I drove it to Dallas from there.  That was late last Oct.  The high that day was 26f.  Low hit about 10f.  Was happy to have the fairing, five layers of warm stuff and an apple warmer!  Once I figured my knees wouldn't frostbite I cruised till ten pm that night.  Oop's, ramblin again.....

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 03:29:20 PM »

I've got the 34 Boss Bags.  I know you mentioned non-leather, but the boss bags have a hard shell with real leather over it.  I've put them through some rough weather and they can take a beating.  I've gone 20lbs over the recommended weight in each and they held up just as well.

They are pricey, but worth it imo.  Especially, since they literally pop off with a coupling and only leave small nipples on the bike once you take the bags off.
Chunk the llama.

gbo

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »

I bought some of these the other day. So far they have held up great, and the price was right.

http://stores.ebay.com/MUTAZU-MOTORCYCLE-ACCESSORIES-INC

All of these bags have universal mounts and were easy to install.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal