Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: new "soon-to-be" rider...looking for input  (Read 3555 times)

tejasx

Re: new "soon-to-be" rider...looking for input
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 05:52:42 AM »

I have taken the advanced MSF course three times thru Brookhaven College.  There are a couple of courses that teach at the American Honda Facility, it is a great place.  Nice facility and a great course already marked out.  You can go to the Texas DPS website to find who teaches where. 

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 03:18:08 PM »

Thanks y'all!

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 03:30:22 PM »

just because you have ridden your buddies bike a few times around the block does not make you a good rider, or more importantly a safe one. The RSC will help you to improve your skills but you need time and a smart riding buddy to help you out along the way. none the less you are a grown man and I welcome you to the board. Please ride safe. O0

Trust me...I'm all about being safe. That's the only way to survive the traffic here in Dallas.  ;D  I'm not interested in being some hot shot. I just want something that can carry by big butt down the highway with respectable power. Anyways, thanks for the welcome and the input. OH...and by the way...nice tits!   :D :D :D
gotta love the tits

"It can be an old biker chick, you know, they're gonna hang down to here. 'Wanna see me naked?'...        ...Yeah, I do!" - Ron White

ruger9mm

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 12:09:29 AM »

I agree with you, definitely nothing smaller than a 1300.  I am new to the forum and returned to riding in April after a 16 year layoff.   I have a neighbor who rides a 1300R and he is 6 feet tall about 275 and thinks his is fine.  Everyone you encounter will have an opinion on size, style, and make.
The 1300R was my first choice but I did look at other makes and I spent probably 2 months researching my options.
My last bike was a 750 but I knew I definitely wanted a cruiser and I eventually made my deal on the 1300.

Good luck
William
06 1300 Retro

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Tarkington Prairie (45 miles ne of houston)
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 12:23:42 AM »

1300r was/is my first bike.  im about 6'4".  went to get a 750 but just seemed too small.  i learned to ride ride a 1300, shouldnt be any trouble for anyone else to.  i did drop mine, a few times, but never anything hurt seriously other than pride.

just make sure you dont drop it in front of 50 other riders.....  youll never live it down....  :-\  ;D

Dusty

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 04:53:07 AM »

Get what's comfortable or your gonna spend a ton of money trying to make it comfortable. I went in for a wing and bought an 1800 thinking I was saving money....I should have bought the wing because I have spent that ton.
I love my bike and believe in Honda technology but they don't rig these bikes out like some other brands do. If you aren't into doing your own mods, you may want to look at something else with the bells and whistles already installed. Unless money is not an issue.
More than likely you are going to hate the stock seat. You may want to add a windshield. These two items alone will be close to $1,000. Then there's saddle bags and possibly forward controls since you are 6'5".
Also, if you can wait a few more months, prices will be coming down because for most of the country the riding season will be ending. Shop around and I don't mean just locally. I bought my bike in 9/03 and paid $12,500 (didn't shop) three months later Honda was letting them go for $8,900 and up. Enough savings to fly out of state and ride it home. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Honda either and I see more and more for sale with low miles and a price tag in the $7,500 range. With some goodies installed.

By all means take the safety coarse. I also recommend the DVD "Ride like a Pro" by Jerry Palladino. http://www.ridelikeapro.com/RLAP4.asp
I think the first one was best, not so much acting in it as there is in the later ones.

Welcome to the X Riders!  O0

Bill

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 11:14:56 AM »

Go with the the 1800 if you want just make sure you put engine guards on it. They are worth every penny ask any one who has ever been down with them on. They save you (because your leg doensn't get pinned under the bike) and the bike from a lot of damage. If you don't like the look you can always take them off down the road. Just recently someone went down and the bike sliod down the road a few hundred feet and the damage was so minimal that he didn't even make an insurance claim. The engine guards were toast, but he has new ones now.

sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

smooth x

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Centerville, Ohio
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »

Go with the the 1800 if you want just make sure you put engine guards on it. They are worth every penny ask any one who has ever been down with them on. They save you (because your leg doensn't get pinned under the bike) and the bike from a lot of damage. If you don't like the look you can always take them off down the road. Just recently someone went down and the bike sliod down the road a few hundred feet and the damage was so minimal that he didn't even make an insurance claim. The engine guards were toast, but he has new ones now.

sherri

dITTO

MODS Who has those things???? Ride it like you Stole it......

Raydar

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 08:07:49 AM »

Take the safety course and then buy the bike you want.  If you accidently lay it down, it can always be fixed.
2005R, silver, windshield, bags, sissy bar, engine guards, highway pegs, pullback risers

XRaymondX

• Old Timer
  • Bullard, TX
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 10:46:52 AM »

My first bike was my 1800.

I dropped it the second weekend I had it.  Didn't do any damage.  I also dropped it the next weekend.  No damage.  Gravel sucks!

I had the course scheduled in June, but bought the bike in May, before I could get into the course. 

After I took the MSF course, I haven't dropped it again.

Funny how they teach you the basic things that make you stop making the stupid mistakes. (front brake while turning is a nono, especially in gravel.)

Get what you want.  The Star Stratoliner is a cool bike.  My brother has a '05 Harley Springer, and it is awesome.  He hasn't had problems out of his. 

There are alot of great bikes from several great companies out there right now.  Don't limit yourself.  Shop around.

Raymond
'02 VraTX 1800C - Retro Apocalyptic, "Road Warrior", Rat Bike.  Did it myself and love it. 

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »

There are alot of great bikes from several great companies out there right now.  Don't limit yourself.  Shop around.

Raymond

I've looked at several different makes and models, but I'm really impressed with Honda's styling/engine size/price combinations...not to mention that every Honda engine I've owned has gone to hell and back. I'm sold on that reliability.

slowbluesriff

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 11:22:19 AM »

Ease up on the critiquing... all that slander about riding your buddies bike don't make you a rider bullshit. Everyone of us started somewhere and apparently some of you had some a-hole point out that your not a hot shot rider at first...the important thing is  he is wanting to get better , and if he is confident he will learn, when your piss scared and uncomfortable is when you make the most mistakes. So quit trying to say how great of a rider you are and how much experience you have over the guy. There are 2 kinds of riders, those that have been down and those that are gonna go down. I say Kudos for the new hobby B-Rad
03 1800c
Bald Cranberries tires and low on gas!
" I am glad my weiner is where i can reach it, and not between my shoulderblades"

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 06:54:16 PM »

just buy the damn bike already and post up pictures, so we can ridicule you. No matter what you get you will be ridiculed, it is part of the initiation. hope to see you on the road. O0

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 07:24:12 PM »

Thanks for making me feel so welcome!  ::)  ;D

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 07:25:02 PM »

Thanks for making me feel so welcome!  ::)  ;D