Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new "soon-to-be" rider...looking for input  (Read 3557 times)

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
new "soon-to-be" rider...looking for input
« on: August 31, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »

Hey y'all! Brand new to the site. Looking forward to getting to know you guys a little better.

I've never really considered myself a motorcycle type person, until here recently. A buddy of mine got an 1800R and now I'm hooked!!! It's the only thing I can think about. I've been reading a lot online and on this forum and I've really learned a lot here in the past two months. I'm planning to get my first bike at the beginning of next year. I've been looking at the 1300C, but I've heard people say "Don't get the bike you want as your first bike because you'll lay it down" or "start with something small until you get used to riding; then upgrade". I feel confident in my ability to ride (I've riden my buddy's 1800 several times) and with being a bigger guy (6'5" - 250lbs) I don't think I want anything smaller than a 1300cc. I'm really wanting to do some highway trips and don't want to go through the hassle of buying a bike to "learn" on and then have to sell it and buy the bike I want. What do you guys think?

Also, I'm planning to take a rider's course between now and the time I get my bike. I've looked at http://www.aplusrider.com in Mesquite. Any other suggestions of good courses?

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
Re: new "soon-to-be" rider...looking for input
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 11:30:19 AM »

just because you have ridden your buddies bike a few times around the block does not make you a good rider, or more importantly a safe one. The RSC will help you to improve your skills but you need time and a smart riding buddy to help you out along the way. none the less you are a grown man and I welcome you to the board. Please ride safe. O0

drewsy1

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 11:38:13 AM »

I too am new and have never ridden a bike before. Well a scooter but that doesn't count. I am going to take the class with a buddy of mine and I think it will help. On getting your bike I say go for it you can always fix the paint and get new fenders. If it is what you want you can always replace things. So do what you want and enjoy it. Thats my Oppinion.

smooth x

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Centerville, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 11:40:22 AM »

I think that you should go ahead and get what you want when you decide to ride. You can always learn on it as long as you feel comfortable with the weight.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 11:42:28 AM by smooth x »

MODS Who has those things???? Ride it like you Stole it......

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »

Hey y'all! Brand new to the site. Looking forward to getting to know you guys a little better.

I've never really considered myself a motorcycle type person, until here recently. A buddy of mine got an 1800R and now I'm hooked!!! It's the only thing I can think about. I've been reading a lot online and on this forum and I've really learned a lot here in the past two months. I'm planning to get my first bike at the beginning of next year. I've been looking at the 1300C, but I've heard people say "Don't get the bike you want as your first bike because you'll lay it down" or "start with something small until you get used to riding; then upgrade". I feel confident in my ability to ride (I've riden my buddy's 1800 several times) and with being a bigger guy (6'5" - 250lbs) I don't think I want anything smaller than a 1300cc. I'm really wanting to do some highway trips and don't want to go through the hassle of buying a bike to "learn" on and then have to sell it and buy the bike I want. What do you guys think?

Also, I'm planning to take a rider's course between now and the time I get my bike. I've looked at http://www.aplusrider.com in Mesquite. Any other suggestions of good courses?

I have to agree with the others, I knew how to ride from motocross days, but not on the street at all, I hadn't ridden even a dirtbike in 5 or so years and started on a V-star 1100, and had no problems, I am not suggesting a yamaha at all (sorry feejer guys), its no wing, no prayer...

Ride Red...

I too am new and have never ridden a bike before. Well a scooter but that doesn't count. I am going to take the class with a buddy of mine and I think it will help. On getting your bike I say go for it you can always fix the paint and get new fenders. If it is what you want you can always replace things. So do what you want and enjoy it. Thats my Oppinion.

As for you, scooters do count,  ;) ;D ::) :-X check out the Vespas Rule thread:http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=4946.0

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 11:54:17 AM »

just because you have ridden your buddies bike a few times around the block does not make you a good rider, or more importantly a safe one. The RSC will help you to improve your skills but you need time and a smart riding buddy to help you out along the way. none the less you are a grown man and I welcome you to the board. Please ride safe. O0

Trust me...I'm all about being safe. That's the only way to survive the traffic here in Dallas.  ;D  I'm not interested in being some hot shot. I just want something that can carry by big butt down the highway with respectable power. Anyways, thanks for the welcome and the input. OH...and by the way...nice tits!   :D :D :D

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »

I like to bust on my buddy X-aholic, but he said it pretty darn well.  Nobody here is your mother, so if you want to make the call, cool, and welcome.  Now if you want advice, feel free to ask... you'll get as many opinions as we all have butt-holes.  LOL  and they may all stink just as bad.  CAN someone get that bike as their first and learn to ride successfully without dying or wrecking?  Heck yeah.  Is it the EASIEST to do so?  No.  Is it the hardest?  HECK no. 

But you're on the right track to be certain...take the course first.  If your buddy lets you keep riding his, that's mighty nice of him.  I'd never let an inexperienced and unlicensed person ride my bike.  Well I would, but only if they gave me a cash deposit to hold while they were riding it.

Get licensed, don't drink and ride, wear good gear, take 'er easy while you're learning, ENJOY!

There are a lot of X-Riders in DFW.  We love getting together to hang out or ride. 
My now long gone VTX...

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:00:26 PM »

There are a lot of X-Riders in DFW.  We love getting together to hang out or ride. 

I'm all about hangin' with the guys and drinking a cold one. Count me in! Of course, I'll have to wait 'til next year to ride, but am looking forward to it.

N5TWL

• Master Tejano Rider
  • If it hurts when you do that don't do that!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 12:37:06 PM »

It's not those few rides you've made on a buddies bike that count when you are first starting out, it's that one little flinch that you make in that surprize moment in traffic that you find out you'd be better off for a while with a lighter and more nimble bike. I know that we all want to jump on that 1800 and go but better to live thru your first tense moment than not.
Second....TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE!
Good luck and ride safe,
Monte
2011 Harley Street Glide, Sedona Orange, Ken Smith pinstriping.

brentos

• Old Timer
  • Austin, Texas
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »

At 6'5" 250, I would go for whatever size bike fits you the best. Sit on a bunch of them and then try and imagine if you are comfortable enough to be in that position for a couple of hours at a time. They have some good deals on 1800's here in Austin right now. Just over $10K at Woods Fun Center.

In other words get what you want not what someone else thinks you should get.

Good Luck
Brent Johnston - '05 1300S beetle bags, switchblade 2-up, Corbin dual tour, Roadhouse slip-ons, Fatty Beach Bars, etc.

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »

Trust me...I'm all about being safe. That's the only way to survive the traffic here in Dallas.  ;D  I'm not interested in being some hot shot. I just want something that can carry by big butt down the highway with respectable power. Anyways, thanks for the welcome and the input. OH...and by the way...nice tits!   :D :D :D
gotta love the tits

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 08:54:42 PM »

Don't settle! If the 1800 doesn't feel to big to you,get it. O0 Bigger is Better! Welcome to the board  O0 O0 O0
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 09:06:23 PM »

Don't settle! If the 1800 doesn't feel to big to you,get it. O0 Bigger is Better! Welcome to the board  O0 O0 O0

+1   This can't be said enough.  If you want the 1800, get it.  More power, better brakes.   O0

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »

+1   This can't be said enough.  If you want the 1800, get it.  More power, better brakes.   O0

They are right, and it is always nice to be able to brag about the 1800 to others...  I try to do it at least once a day, just to remind me how much of a man I am. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qh1j3v1aJTU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Qh1j3v1aJTU</a>

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 11:02:34 PM »

Welocome to you both.
I had a 750 for a while then moved to the 1300C and wished I bought the 1800C.
Now that my 1300 is gone I bought that 1800 I always wanted.

Go with what you want.  You can always fix the damaged parts or sell your bike later and get what you really want. :D

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal