Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what the hell is that part called?  (Read 2329 times)

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
what the hell is that part called?
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:08:56 PM »

can anyone tell me what the part is that sits on top of the forward head. It looks to me like a diaphram valve. (but if I knew what the hell I was talking about I would not be on here asking questions) It has three hoses coming off of it and the two on either side of it go into the heads and on my bike (bought used) the third one that comes out of the middle is capped off. I ran fine and then I took the cap off (dont fix it if it aint broke) and now it runs a little rough. What is it and what is it for? thanks for any help

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
Re: what the hell is that part called?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:13:35 PM »

That is your pair valve assembly.  Yank all that crap off and getcha some block off plates on there.   O0

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:32:10 PM »

ok now what does that mean? A buddy of mine told me to put a small k&n replica on the capped off hose and that it would run better. true or false or will it effect it at all?

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 06:39:20 PM »

http://homepage.mac.com/roogie/pairvalve/PhotoAlbum31.html

Pair valve removal/Block off plates/De-smog.  Helps on 90-95% of decel backfire/popping.  No noticeable performance increase that I am aware of though.

also helps clean up the look on the top of the engine

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

Claw

• Old Timer
  • Baytown
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 06:42:41 PM »

www.bareasschoppers.com Click on PAIR removal (Desmog) on the left side.
03 1800C
05 GL1800

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 07:02:18 PM »

my bike pops/backfires like craaaaaaaazy on decel. Could that have something to do with a cracked pipe just in front of the echo tip? and would removing the valve increase or decrease the popping? sorry I am so ignorant about such things. I will check out the links provided now. thanks again

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »

Looks like someone who had the bike before you just plugged the hose that was connected to your air cleaner.   Your bike will more than likely backfire and pop on decel without slamming the throttle closed everytime.

The remedy is to take off all that emissions crapola that I posted up top.  You need to order a set of block off plates from hondadirectline.com   They run about $15 or so.  Follow the directions on Bare's website on how to DESMOG

www.bareasschoppers.com

As mentioned by Skippy, that should clear up about 95% of the popping on decel and definitely clean up the top of your engine.   It's a relatively cheap and easy fix.  Let me know if you need any help.   O0

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 09:14:59 PM »

i would definitely cap that line again immediately, by uncapping and running the motor your putting unfiltered air into your exhaust along with anything else that could possibly get sucked up into that hose. not real bad but not good either. more importantly though, check and make sure your airbox is capped. the hose were talking about is normally attached to the back of your airbox. if the airbox is not capped your putting unfiltered air into the combustion chamber-BAD,VERY BAD! basically what this system does is put clean air into your exhaust to give better emissions. this causes popping and backfiring becauses the fresh air promotes the continued burning of exhaust gasses even after leaving the combustion chamber and entering the exhaust system. that popping and backfiring your hearing is the end result of the cylinder firing. get rid of the source of the fresh air and you basically stop the continued burning of exhaust gasses, stopping the dreaded popping and backfiring. this is called the "desmog" i'm sure everyone has read about at least a million times. O0  not sure of your location but if you need any help and your anywhere near austin, let me know. good luck and ride safe. O0
just noticed your other post about the cracked pipe. that wouldn't effect the sound much if at all. it's far enough away from the head to allow air to get to the burning exhaust gasses. i wouldn't worry about that to much. good luck.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 09:22:15 PM by Crewsn »
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

X-aholic

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BOOKEM
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:24:05 PM »

southernXer and crewsn, mucho thanks guys. I live close to Ft. Worth and I will definitly get on that. If I need any further assistance I will let you know. Again amillion thanks guys.  And southernXer do you do emergency help if I totally F up the job? I know Allen isnt that far from me. hu

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 11:37:15 AM »

DAYUM Crewsn, that is about the best description of the whole pair valve, reason for/reason for removal I have seen anywhere! We're proud of ya! ;D Short, sweet, concise.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

das212

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 01:51:45 PM »

i read somewhere on a forum on how to block it, so i went to walmart bought some marbles and put em in all 3 lines... worked like magic... no more popping... i needed to leave the pair valve on because still under warranty and stealer said it would void it if i took it off...

RobDogg

• Old Timer
  • Sanger, TX (North Denton)
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:28:36 AM »

i read somewhere on a forum on how to block it, so i went to walmart bought some marbles and put em in all 3 lines... worked like magic... no more popping... i needed to leave the pair valve on because still under warranty and stealer said it would void it if i took it off...

Dealer is full of crap. I took mine off 23000 miles ago. Had plenty of warranty work done since then. Removing the PAIR can't damage the engine (unless you just pull the hoses and don't cap the plates on top of the heads)
RobDogg

"No Child Should Live In Fear"
link--> B.A.C.A - Bikers Against Child Abuse

'03 1800C - Customized by me, for me, the way I want it.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »

No problem with the dealer and mine being off.   ::)

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »

Hope you don't lose your marbles!! :D
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »

And southernXer do you do emergency help if I totally F up the job? I know Allen isnt that far from me. hu

It's not that big of a job to do but I'd be glad to help anyway I can.  My plate is a little full right now due to my new job but if I can swing it I'd be glad to help.   O0
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal