Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Then and Now:  (Read 1464 times)

BobB

• Old Timer
  • Cypress, TX
Then and Now:
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:17:55 AM »

1967 vs. 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1967 - Vice principal comes over to look at Jack's shotgun. He goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack .
2007 - School goes into lock down, and FBI is called. Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1967 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail; nobody is arrested; nobody is expelled.
2007 - Police called. SWAT team arrives. Johnny and Mark are arrested and charged with assault Both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.
1967 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the principal. He returns to class, sits still, and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is diagnosed with ADD and given huge doses of ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a learning disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1967 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is placed in foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself, and their dad goes to prison. Billy 's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1967 - Mark shares aspirin with principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police called. Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. Car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.
1967 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007 - Pedro 's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro 's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given a diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
1967 - Ants die.
2007 - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Homeland Security, and FBI called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates parents; siblings are removed from home; computers confiscated. Johnny 's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Heather . Heather hugs him to comfort him.
1967 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2007 - Heather is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in state prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
Re: Then and Now:
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:09:37 AM »

That's awesome!   ;D ;D  O0

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:58:47 PM »

Isn't it sad to say, that's the way situations like that are handled.

What's the big deal about Dr. Phil? He just uses "common sense" examples from the way he was raised. He writes books, gets a talk show, and makes millions of $$$.
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Tarkington Prairie (45 miles ne of houston)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 01:20:27 PM »

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1967 - Vice principal comes over to look at Jack's shotgun. He goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack .
2007 - School goes into lock down, and FBI is called. Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

one of my friends in high school woke up one morning and his truck wouldnt start, was just dead.  so, he gets in his dads truck and goes to school.  just so happens that on that day the police bring in dogs to do random searches.  they find 2 boxes of 22 rounds in his dads truck.  no gun or anything, just the rounds... they arrest chet.  this guy is never in trouble for anything.  he ends up not allowed back in school and is instead sent to AEP, which is just a small building on school grounds reserved for people that are always in trouble for fighting or drugs or whatever.  he ends up having to spend the entire last half of his senior year there and is not allowed to walk at graduation....

that same day they search another car.  they find a sawed off baseball bat that the girls dad had put in her car for her protection.  shes originally suspended for 3 days, but her dad is on the school board so shes back in school the next day.....

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:46:14 PM »

I was not driving in 67, but by 74, when I was 15, my truck had a rack on the back window. Rifle on top, shot gun on bottom, The pistol in a pouch in the seat cover behind the floor shifter. Ash tray full of doobies and roatches 5th under the seat, cooler with cold beer in bed along with scattered empty beer cans. All in the school parking lot and it was normal for my small school.   

Kentagious

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 03:50:08 PM »

What if we just let them grow up? Hum ???
I guess it don't seem wrong if it ain't being done to you.
2015 Victory Cross Country Tour
04' VTX 1300 S

iluvink

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 09:00:39 PM »

I agree that there were a lot of things better about the 'Good Ol' Days', but not everything...

Scenario: Johnny was born deaf, and his parents can't afford to send him to a private school for the Deaf.

1967 - Johnny's parents appeal to the Principal, Superintendant, and School Board. Parents are advised that the District can't afford, and doesn't have the resourses to give Johnny that same education as hearing children.  Johnny is placed in Special Ed with other students who have an assortment of learning disablilities, bearly gets what would be called an education.  He then spends his life doing either low paying jobs, or on government assistance.

2007 - Johnny is given the same education as the hearing students via a district supplied interpreter, goes to a good state college, also with a state supplied interpreter.  He now has a good paying career, with a bright future.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 06:22:15 AM »

one of my friends in high school woke up one morning and his truck wouldnt start, was just dead.  so, he gets in his dads truck and goes to school.  just so happens that on that day the police bring in dogs to do random searches.  they find 2 boxes of 22 rounds in his dads truck.  no gun or anything, just the rounds... they arrest chet.  this guy is never in trouble for anything.  he ends up not allowed back in school and is instead sent to AEP, which is just a small building on school grounds reserved for people that are always in trouble for fighting or drugs or whatever.  he ends up having to spend the entire last half of his senior year there and is not allowed to walk at graduation....

that same day they search another car.  they find a sawed off baseball bat that the girls dad had put in her car for her protection.  shes originally suspended for 3 days, but her dad is on the school board so shes back in school the next day.....

That happened to my daughter. She was a senior and there was a semister left till guaduation. I've got an old pickup that is used only around locally to feed my cows, work fences, haul hay, etc. and she took it to school one day that they did one of these ILLEGAL GASTAPO actions and the dogs found an old unopened beer that had been in the back for so long under some empty feed sacks that the paint was almost completely worn off the can. She was supended from school for a week. I was furious to say the least.The principal and I did have a few choice colorful words that morning. Well a few months later, again my daughter had to take another one of my trucks to school and I went over it with a fine toothed comb looking for anything that would be concidered contraband and away she went. Later that afternoon as she was sitting in class, she said she was look out the window, that over looks the student parking lot, the dog police pulled up and went straight to my truck, got the dog out and started him sniffing. They came to her class room and got her and the keys and made her unlock the door so they could search inside. Well guess what, they found a single 12 guage shotgun shell under the seat. With two months left of school she was supended for the rest of the year which ment no graduation. Again, the principal, and now the school board president had some colorful words. To make a long story short, she was allowed to stay in school in one of those in house suspension classes for 6 weeks which ment graduation was still on. Now for the rest of the story - My daughter was a good kid and to her credits - she was the president of the National Honor Society, Cheerleader, track, baseball, basketball, UIL debate team leader, and Valedictorian of her class (at that time). She was stripped of the National Honor presidency and still made Salutatorian missing Valedictorian only .0023 grade percentile.
There's no way I'd want to be a kid in school nowadays! I'm afraid I wouldn't be there very long.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 09:58:01 PM »

Then and now is causing me some trouble. I have my 15 year old nepheu staying with me to help out with the kids,His duties amount to being awake and able to get my 2 llittle ones out of the house, or call 911 during the breef times that myself or my wife are not there, different shifts. He is 6'2" or so, 300lb + so it is hard for me to keep in mind that I am dealing with a child. We pay him 100$ a week + room and board and all meals, This boy eats, The boy dipped, when he took on the job. He later went home while we went on vacation, He started smokeing again, Each day when I got home from work He was bumbing smokes, I am a smoker and know I should have never given him even one.
Today, when I got home, he was ready for his weekend. He had made arangements to spend the night with a friend. He wanted me to take him to his friend's house. I smelled a rat, I loaded them in the car then went back in the house and checked my cigarett carton. 3 packs were missing. I knew where they went, In his back pack.
I asked him point blank, DID YOU STEAL MY CIGARETTS??? The boy lied. I knew better.
I got very angry, and thought about makeing him dump his back pack. But then what, I know the Cigs were there. I can't kick his Cranberries he is 15. I thought about finding a cop on the way, to takeing him to his friends house and having him check out the back pack.
I am going to deal with this, just not while angry. I won't tolorate a thief in my house.
Problem is, I am the last chance this boy has, before bad things start to happen to him. I do care about him. He made the mistake of thinking that I'm as stupid as his dopped up dad. Who never notices 3 packs gone from his carton.
He is good with the kids, for the most part. He is 15 going on, what now? He is family, I am the unkle Tom. I will live over having 3 packs of cigs stolen.
My big question is how do I come down on the boy, like a ton of bricks, without crossing that line. His dad would love nothing better than to sue me. Had he been my own, he would have been stomped. 
This kid has lived with me on and off since he was 4. I hate it, but thats what I'm draling with.
I stole cigs from my dad, knowing well, the price of getting caught. I can't let it slide, and I could turn my back on the boy, but there are so many bad people out there looking for the likes of him. He is big, He is young and stupid, I will deal with it, some how.
Yesterday can bite you in the butt hard.     

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Tarkington Prairie (45 miles ne of houston)
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 10:38:20 PM »

Then and now is causing me some trouble. I have my 15 year old nepheu staying with me to help out with the kids,His duties amount to being awake and able to get my 2 llittle ones out of the house, or call 911 during the breef times that myself or my wife are not there, different shifts. He is 6'2" or so, 300lb + so it is hard for me to keep in mind that I am dealing with a child. We pay him 100$ a week + room and board and all meals, This boy eats, The boy dipped, when he took on the job. He later went home while we went on vacation, He started smokeing again, Each day when I got home from work He was bumbing smokes, I am a smoker and know I should have never given him even one.
Today, when I got home, he was ready for his weekend. He had made arangements to spend the night with a friend. He wanted me to take him to his friend's house. I smelled a rat, I loaded them in the car then went back in the house and checked my cigarett carton. 3 packs were missing. I knew where they went, In his back pack.
I asked him point blank, DID YOU STEAL MY CIGARETTS??? The boy lied. I knew better.
I got very angry, and thought about makeing him dump his back pack. But then what, I know the Cigs were there. I can't kick his Cranberries he is 15. I thought about finding a cop on the way, to takeing him to his friends house and having him check out the back pack.
I am going to deal with this, just not while angry. I won't tolorate a thief in my house.
Problem is, I am the last chance this boy has, before bad things start to happen to him. I do care about him. He made the mistake of thinking that I'm as stupid as his dopped up dad. Who never notices 3 packs gone from his carton.
He is good with the kids, for the most part. He is 15 going on, what now? He is family, I am the unkle Tom. I will live over having 3 packs of cigs stolen.
My big question is how do I come down on the boy, like a ton of bricks, without crossing that line. His dad would love nothing better than to sue me. Had he been my own, he would have been stomped. 
This kid has lived with me on and off since he was 4. I hate it, but thats what I'm draling with.
I stole cigs from my dad, knowing well, the price of getting caught. I can't let it slide, and I could turn my back on the boy, but there are so many bad people out there looking for the likes of him. He is big, He is young and stupid, I will deal with it, some how.
Yesterday can bite you in the butt hard.     

i used to steal em from my parents when i was 13.  took em a full year to realize they were having to buy and extra carton a week.  i came home from school one day and snagged a pack and headed to my neighbors.  almost out of the yard, my dad called me over.  he asked me what i got out of the cabinet, and i told him and aspirin.  hes said, is that all?, i say yes sir.  he looked straight at me and said, are you lying to me?.....  yes sir.....  alright, lets go....

got an Cranberries whipping and grounding for it, but it would have been so much worse if i had kept the lie and he had to empty my pockets.....

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 05:03:42 PM »

I got caught once by my parents smoking in our garage.  When they asked me if I was smoking I told them I just lit a cigarette, but I didn't inhale.   ;D :D 

...and that happend waaaay before the late 90's.   O0

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 08:15:25 PM »

I dealt with it. The more he lied, the louder I got. I chewed his Cranberries in a harsh way until I got angry with his lies. then I quit and walked off. 30min later he came and confessed. That was enough. I told him I will never give him a cig again, because I was wrong to do so in the first place. The look on his face was priceless when I told him if we had passed a cop the way I would have had the cop dump the back pack.   

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal