Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need a teacher!  (Read 2243 times)

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
Need a teacher!
« on: July 05, 2007, 03:13:53 PM »

Is there anyone out there near the Grapevine area that would be willing to teach me how to do the basic maintenance on my bike?  I'd be willing to pay for the lessons if it's not too much.  Oil changes (which I think is pretty easy, just haven't done it on this one yet), what to look for to keep her running smooth, change air filter, change rear drive fluid, basic electrical stuff for adding lights, etc.  And I have NO IDEA what a torque wrench is or how to use one!

Anybody willing to do this?   :-\  I don't have a garage or that many tools, so it'd have to be somewhere other than my place.  I have basic tools.  Just don't want to drop it off to a mechanic and hope he does what he says.
“You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas”
~ Davy Crockett
2006 VTX 1300R candy black cherry

bombero8

• Trailer Queen
  • Fort Worth
Re: Need a teacher!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 03:30:32 PM »

I think it's great you are interested in maintaining your own bike. One of the first things I would suggest is to get a Honda repair manual specific to your bike year model, and then dive in! ;) I certainly wouldn't mind helping you out with some of the maintenance basics, I'm not a pro at wrenching but have found getting started is the hardest part. I live near N.E. Mall so just let me know if your interested.
'05 1800F

Who needs crack when you can get chrome!
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/bombero8/?sc=1&addtype=local

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:31:44 PM »

I think it's great you are interested in maintaining your own bike. One of the first things I would suggest is to get a Honda repair manual specific to your bike year model, and then dive in! ;) I certainly wouldn't mind helping you out with some of the maintenance basics, I'm not a pro at wrenching but have found getting started is the hardest part. I live near N.E. Mall so just let me know if your interested.

That's kinda what I'm thinking.  Most of the maint should be pretty easy/follow the book.  I'm just chicken busting in to it by myself the first time!  Do you have a jack/stand and all that goo stuff?
~ Davy Crockett

bombero8

• Trailer Queen
  • Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:37:03 PM »

Yeah I've got the Craftsmen motorcycle jack and the Pepsx stand (which all of us should have, it's rock solid) and a whole tool box chocked full of tools. I usually post over on the national board (same handle) and visit here periodically. Lots of good people and good info on both boards.
'05 1800F

H-TownX

• Tejano
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »

+1 on getting the shop manual, its a must if you have a bike

N5TWL

• Master Tejano Rider
  • If it hurts when you do that don't do that!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »

Cool intake, I live nead NE Mall as well. I need to order manual, any way other than thru Honda?
MPM
2011 Harley Street Glide, Sedona Orange, Ken Smith pinstriping.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 12:35:37 PM »

Cool intake, I live nead NE Mall as well. I need to order manual, any way other than thru Honda?
MPM
I see them listed on E bay quite often and I think you can get one from www.Hondalinedirect.com  maybe!!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

bombero8

• Trailer Queen
  • Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 01:45:37 PM »

I got my manual from another vtx member who sold his bike. Every once in awhile I see them listed on the vtx classified board, might have better luck on e-bay or just order one from HDL like vtxchad suggested.
'05 1800F

vernjoe

• Old Timer
  • Friendswood, Tx
    • Faythjo Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 11:24:05 PM »

To those of you looking for manuals, it would be worth a try to just go to your local honda dealer and ask if they have an old manual lying around.  They might just give it to you or at least sell it for a cheaper price.   O0
'02 C with a few extras

H-TownX

• Tejano
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 08:20:10 AM »

be careful ordering the shop manual on the national board, a member here ordered a shop manual or what he thought was a shop manual (I am not one to tell names... Supra1), told me what a great deal he got on the manual, $10.00, what he received was the bike guide book that comes in the tool compartment,  ;D I thought it was fuuny.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 11:36:36 AM by H-TownX »

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 08:25:56 AM »

be careful ordering the shop manual on the national board, a member here ordered a shop manual or what he thought was a shop manual , told me what a great deal he got on the manual, $10.00, what he received was the bike guide book that comes in the tool compartment,  ;D I thought it was fuuny, I am not one to tell names... Supra1

Well crap, I was gonna do that this morning!  So what's the deal, Hal can't be trusted?
~ Davy Crockett

H-TownX

• Tejano
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »

sorry VTXGRL, let me clarify the purchase was from a fellow board member, you will be fine ordering form HDL.

Pug

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 06:43:20 PM »

pm sent  ;D
2006 1800R Spec2 Lightly Farkled -- RIP: ST1300 ABS / BMW R1100RT / 2008 GL1800 / 2006 VTX 1300S / 1997 Aspencade 1500

rbrown

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 07:40:33 AM »

I ordered my manual from HDL and everything was as it should be. The manual, jack and Pepsx stand are a must.

tejasx

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 03:47:55 AM »

If you are a member of HRCA, you can access the manual online for free.  The overall benefits outweigh the cost of the membership.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal