Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bike Won't Move  (Read 4262 times)

vernjoe

• Old Timer
  • Friendswood, Tx
    • Faythjo Productions
Bike Won't Move
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »

02 1800 C that will not move. 

I turned into the neighborhood and gunned the bike and nothing, nodda, zilch.  Coasted for a few minutes shifting through the gears and still nothing.  Came to a complete stop and went through the gears again and still nothing in any gear.  Turned bike off and restarted and still nodda.  Ended up pushing it home and putting bike up on the bike stand starting it and the back tire would at least move.  Would roll in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear but speedo would not go above 30 mph (not sure how this works).  Bike appeared to be moving on the bike stand so I put it back on the ground and nothing. 

I am posting this and then going to read through the manual to see if anything would apply to this situation.  Wanted to post this on the boards to see if anyone had any ideas of what the problem might be.

Another thing that happens also is that while on the bike stand the bike wont start unless the clutch lever is pulled in and I don't remember if this is a safety feature or not being that I try to avoid that situation.

Thanks for any help that you are going to offer.
'02 C with a few extras

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
Re: Bike Won't Move
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »

sound like the clutch mat have let go, if it would pull a little on the jack stand, but not with a load, need to pull the clutch cover and see if anything  falls out, if it isn't clunking and making noises hopefully it isn't the tranny :-\ :(
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 05:20:06 PM »

Any noises in the rear end?   ???

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:30:34 PM »

Jambed pressure plate?
Displaced Texan.

vernjoe

• Old Timer
  • Friendswood, Tx
    • Faythjo Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 09:06:21 PM »

I heard no noise then nor now coming from the rear end or the clutch area.  Going to remove the final drive tomorrow and check the shaft gears.  If not that then I guess I'll start taking the clutch apart checking it.  Went ahead and ordered the clutch spring bolts just in case I end up that far and God now i hope not.
'02 C with a few extras

H-TownX

• Tejano
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:18:29 PM »

If it aint one thing it is something else, I changed my clutch to the Barnett, I have the stock springs and plates with not a lot of miles on them.  Let me know if you need them. If you decide to change the clutch out use Bares instructions as a guide, very helpful. You may want to try this as a possible soultion!!!!     http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=4658.0
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:21:49 PM by H-TownX »

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:23:14 PM »

kickstand switch malfunction? try messing with the wires that go to the housing. are the speedo wires connected well? mine started doing crazy things then they sorta fell apart. lots of other smarter-than-me people on here. hope it gets worked out fast.

HD-DEMON

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 10:01:01 PM »

the same thing happend to the guy that bought my old VTX... he had to replace the drive shaft, the splines on the final drive end were damaged.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »

the same thing happend to the guy that bought my old VTX... he had to replace the drive shaft, the splines on the final drive end were damaged.

That's what I was figuring but I'd kinda expect some type of noise in the rear.   ???

vernjoe

• Old Timer
  • Friendswood, Tx
    • Faythjo Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 07:27:08 AM »

Well took the rear end off this am and found pieces of something in the swingarm tube.  The shaft looked to be in good shape so I'm suspecting that the u-joint is shattered. 

Gotta remove the swingarm to be sure.
'02 C with a few extras

Quick-Silver

• Old Timer
  • Canyon Lake, Tx
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 07:28:28 AM »

Just trailer it to a Honda dealer and let them fix it.  Think of the time you are going to waste and everything else you will tear up trying to figure out what is wrong with it.  Get it to a dealer, let them fix it and then get out & ride. O0
Jerry Maler
07 Honda GL1800 Goldwing - Silver

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 09:33:19 AM »

There are a number of us that saw the chunk of rubber or wood or whatever that came off the truck just in front of you.  When you hit it, the thing quit working.  No known reason but clearly an accident covered by your insurance. ;) ;) :-X
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

HD-DEMON

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »

If is the axel and the dealer fixes it for you... it will run you around $800.00 that's how much it was to replace the shaft on the 1300

vernjoe

• Old Timer
  • Friendswood, Tx
    • Faythjo Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 11:34:54 AM »

got the swingarm off and found out that the pieces that were shattered were from the seals and bearings in the actual side of the swingarm.  there were little chunks of the bearing and magnets from it in the u joint, but the u joint actually looked fine.  Not sure if this would cause my problem or not (hoping so) so i'm going to replace the bearings in the swingarm and then check it out.  if this does not do it then its off to the clutch.

Jerry, to me this is actually another fun part of having the bike.  I'm by no means a wrench but I have learned alot (tore up alot also) from working on my own bike and I'm probably better than 40% of the wrenches at honda.
'02 C with a few extras

Boomer

• Old Timer
  • Ramstein area in Germany
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »

Vern,

Hang in there....if the swing arm's not the prob, my first thought was wiring problems with that kickstand switch that will kill the engine as soon as you put the stand down....

Boomer
'03 1800R, just shiny stuff
"You always want to start out fast, cause you never know when someone might want to race you."  6-year-old future VTXer
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal