Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drilling Pipes  (Read 2942 times)

Reggie

Drilling Pipes
« on: May 26, 2006, 08:45:52 AM »

Hey folks I'm new to the site and learing how to use it. anyway I just purchase my 1300R about two months ago and working on modifying a little at a time, I heard about the Clayton Mod and a little afraid of drilling in the pipes and it doesn't work. I live in Pfugerville and need a hand with this task, so if anyone is free and live around Pflugerviller, RoundRock area please let me know so we can get together.

jwalker

Re: Drilling Pipes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 12:40:31 PM »

Reggie,
remove the tips from your stock exhaust. Look directly into the tail pipe and you can drill 1, 2 or 3 holes 1/2" in diameter around the tail pipe. You can start with 1/4" holes until you reach the sound you like. I have an 1800R and have drilled three 5/8" diameter holes in each pipe and really like the sound.

hillcountryrider

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 02:31:54 PM »

Hey folks I'm new to the site and learing how to use it. anyway I just purchase my 1300R about two months ago and working on modifying a little at a time, I heard about the Clayton Mod and a little afraid of drilling in the pipes and it doesn't work. I live in Pfugerville and need a hand with this task, so if anyone is free and live around Pflugerviller, RoundRock area please let me know so we can get together.

You need to look back a page or two for a topic post on this subject............. this comes up frequently .... the modification is commonly known as the Calyton Mod ........ basically it is drilling seven holes into the back plate of your baffles/mufflers ......many on the vtxoa site have done this and give good reviews......... I am going to do it to my 1300R this weekend.... GOOD LUCK

hillcountryrider

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 02:37:44 PM »

Actualy I think that you would have better luck looking at the national site   :)

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/index.php

OR BETTER YET........... get it from the man himself at this web site   :) :)

http://www.geocities.com/nc_brew/claytonspipes.htm
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 02:40:31 PM by hillcountryrider »

Reggie

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 07:44:05 PM »

8) 8) Hey there folks I've been reading alot about the Clayton Mod and yes I was very nervous about drilling my pipes also because I just bought my bike three months ago and putting all my play to customize it. so tonight I used a 1/2 bit and drill 7 holes and the sound was louder but not loud Cranberries I want it to be but I happy with the way it sounds. I understand to some folks are a afraid to try it too and I'm sure the warranty will be void on the pipes only. my next attempt is to buy the t-bars from the 1300C and install them on my 1300R along with new grips and mirrors, I think this will be something I would be happy with. another to keep in mind before attempting to drill your pipes if you are afraid is the have money to buy new ones if you don't like it but I'm sure you want be disappointed. I hope to attend to ROT Rally for the first time, best of luck to you all.

Reggie

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:00:51 PM »

A question after drilling pipes that I'm concern about. Are there any adjustments needed to the bike? also another thing I've done to the bike was installed a different cover over my air filter that has a opening for more air can you tell be if this will help my bike run better or worse.

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 09:13:31 PM »

Reggie, the best thing to do to get better air flow in to the carb, is to change the stock air filter for a K&N air filter. For the pipes, if you are really want a rumble, IMHO you need to change them for K&N pipes. For more tech stuff check out this web page

http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?

2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 09:41:35 PM »

hey reggie welcome to the board. try to get in touch with TXGABOY. he's done the mod quite some time ago and has helped a few others. he can probably answer any questions you have. good luck and ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal