Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: To kill, or not.  (Read 5399 times)

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
To kill, or not.
« on: June 09, 2007, 08:26:16 PM »

I have a jack rabbit problem. I have around 25 Jack rabbits that live at my house, + a lot of cotton tails. I love watching them but my little dog. A dash rodent goes out to do her business and comes back in, with a host of fleas. We have tried the flea collar, the spray, the shampoo, Every time she comes back infested, The rabbits have their little dust bath spots that are a nest of fleas. I have tried spraying the dust bath spots, I have not tried flea shots for the dog.If the collar and the spray have no effect its time to try something different. Getting rid of the dog is not a option. and killing the rabbits, is a thing that I don't want to do. Any ideas, and even smart Cranberries comments will be looked at.   

txgaboy

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Texas/Georgia Boy Austin, Texas
Re: To kill, or not.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 08:30:35 PM »

;D :)  Maybe getting bigger dogs for outside and maybe some really big cats!!!  The cottontails would be good to eat! That's all the smart Cranberries answers I can think of right now. Sometimes I need a little time!
LOL Good Luck!
Most all straight Southern white males
spend there entire lives trying to avoid
being pissants. - Lewis Grizzard

'05 1300 VTX retro (red) Sold
'07 GOLDWING  (Metallic Dark Blue)

PGR Rider; when I can
US Army, 1969 - 1982

sgtstever

• Master Tejano Rider
  • BOHICA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:35:01 PM »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, rabbit stew! O0
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:54:59 PM »

Don't get me started....remember, I grew up in the country. ;)

What's that flea stuff that you put on their coat behind the neck?
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

sgtstever

• Master Tejano Rider
  • BOHICA
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 09:08:50 PM »

Um, flea stuff.......... ::)
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »

LEAD BULLET- Rabbits and the dog , then the whole problem is solved. O0
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 01:29:26 AM »

LEAD BULLET- Rabbits and the dog , then the whole problem is solved. O0
Dayum! O0 I knew we were going there! Oh wait. It's just a weenie Dog!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:35:45 AM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 01:36:52 AM »

You can blame the rabbits if you want, but that ain't it. I don't have any around here and this is the worst year I can remember for fleas and ticks.  >:( >:(  I have always, many years anyway, used Frontline Flea and Tick protectant brand products that we've always had good luck with. I blamed my wife at first because she bought some off brand flea stuff that claimed it was as good, well guess what? I have returned to Frontline, dipped and sprayed the dogs numerous times, sprayed the yard, done almost everything I can do, I just can't seem to beat'um this year due to all the rain I suppose. I guess it's like the Mosquitoes, just something we going to have to live with this year.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 04:20:03 AM »

I agree, this year is one of the worst yet for fleas.  I have a solution though.  Go to a feed store and look for a chemical called "permethrin".  It kills fleas, mites, lice, and flies as well as thier eggs.  Mix a 1/2 oz to 3 gallons.  I think it does about 1000sq ft. /per 3 gal. For outside use, you can mix it much stronger.  You can also dilute it to a dip for dogs, chickens, sheep, goats, cows, etc.  Sells for about 7 bucks. 

There is also a shampoo with permethrin called bio spot (I think) which also has an anti ich chem.  This stuff works well.   Sells for 14 bucks.

Both of those have whats called an IGR  (insect groth regulator) Meaning it kills eggs and makes the adults unfertal.

I say dowse the whole lot of them.

*caution*  This is some damn powerfull stuff.  DO NOT use around cats, it kinda makes them die. 

*Closet Darksider*

rattler

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 04:54:41 AM »

go to your vet and get  advantage or frontline. It works well on my dogs in Kaufman county

hooter

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 06:36:57 AM »

I agree, this year is one of the worst yet for fleas.  I have a solution though.  Go to a feed store and look for a chemical called "permethrin".  It kills fleas, mites, lice, and flies as well as thier eggs.  Mix a 1/2 oz to 3 gallons.  I think it does about 1000sq ft. /per 3 gal. For outside use, you can mix it much stronger.  You can also dilute it to a dip for dogs, chickens, sheep, goats, cows, etc.  Sells for about 7 bucks. 

There is also a shampoo with permethrin called bio spot (I think) which also has an anti ich chem.  This stuff works well.   Sells for 14 bucks.

Both of those have whats called an IGR  (insect groth regulator) Meaning it kills eggs and makes the adults unfertal.

I say dowse the whole lot of them.

*caution*  This is some damn powerfull stuff.  DO NOT use around cats, it kinda makes them die. 

Thanks Twisted,
I'll check this permethrin stuff out. You said mix 1/2 oz to 3 gal of water and stronger for outside. You telling me I can use this inside? I'll go this morning to TSC and check to see what they've got. Thanks
 As far as the puddy tat caution goes, thanks but my Catahoula-Lab cross kinda takes care of that population around here. The Catahoula is a cow dog and that part of my dog likes to round the cats up, the Lab takes'um swimming.

hooter

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 06:47:45 AM »

go to your vet and get  advantage or frontline. It works well on my dogs in Kaufman county

Frontline is what I use again. Went to another brand for about a month and back to Frontline. Thanks for the input and Welcome to the board. You've got a few of riders over in your area so post out in the general discussion area that your new and they'll chime up. AL

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 03:11:27 PM »

I'm not shooting the rabbits, 1st they are no good to eat this time of year, 2nd I thought it was a problem only here at the house. When I first moved out here we had 4 or 5 local jack rabbits, but we also had a local den of cyoties I have not seen or heard them for two years. I  no longer guard the dash rodent with a shotgun at night when she wants out. I do have two bigger dogs a mutt and a blood hound, but they stay in their pen, for the most part. The blood hound catches a sent and getting him back home involves a lot of effort and much cursing. The neighbors have a three legged dog who runs free. Much like the dash rodent he barks and acts bad but both have learned the hard way not to catch one. I have watched that go down, Though the three legged dog is slightly bigger than a jack rabbit its Cranberries was most soundly whooped in the fight. My dash rodent will from time to time catch a cotton tail, and bring her prise to the back porch to show off. She is the head of ranch security, and doing her duty any time the kids are playing outside. She has alerted me to many snakes and one prarrie dog looking to set up shop. This coming winter jack rabbit stew, and chilly, may be on the menu. I just have way to many flea packing jack rabbits around my house. At any time now, I can count at least 20, and thats most likely less than a 4th of those here. I'm not a big time hunter, Fact is the only thing I go out hunting for are hogs. The fleas will be dealt with some how, if it involves three baths a day for the dash rodent. She won't like it. 

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 03:31:23 PM »

Biospot. Works well.

iluvink

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 07:00:11 PM »

I'll had another $.02..

The fleas the dog picks up may have nothing to do with the rabbits.  Believe it or not, fleas can be animal specific.   There are dog, cat, and human fleas.  NOT to say that in desperate times, they'll find other hosts, but most will stick with their favs.  I guess what I am trying to say is that the rabbits may not be the source, so killing them may not help.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 07:01:44 PM by iluvink »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal