Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ez sidemount plate...  (Read 674 times)

slowbluesriff

• Old Timer
ez sidemount plate...
« on: May 23, 2007, 07:52:59 AM »

I had some questions on mine...out of necessity i built mine, really cheap and easy. here are some instructions:

First the bracket: started with 2" flatstrap 1/8" thick cut to the lenght of the plate. then a second piece cut approx 4"long. These two pieces are going to need to be welded together.(if you don't have a welder stop by a muffler shop they have the strap and the welder...about 10 bucks) This bracket will bolt up to the lower shock mount. you can simply determine where you want your plate by holding it up and figuring where you want the 4" long "mount" strap to be welded. I put mine near the top so the plate is lowest showing the shocks and wheel area and kinda out of the way. it should look like the first pic. Next grind smooth clean up the edges and round over the end of the "mount" end. After she's all cleaned up drill out a hole in side to mount to the shock and 2 holes to bolt up the plate. should look something like this....

this pic shows how the strap will look in relation to the plate.

this pic shows the bracket behind the plate.

the last pic shows a plate frame on top then sandwiched together with mounting hardware of your choice.

after all that remove your lower shock bolt and bolt thru the bracket....easy mount.

sidenote: i removed the helmet lock on the side and used my factory tag light to bolt to the helmet lock bracket for light.

03 1800c
Bald Cranberries tires and low on gas!
" I am glad my weiner is where i can reach it, and not between my shoulderblades"

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
Re: ez sidemount plate...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 04:13:11 PM »

nice job  O0
I did basically the same without welding I will be posting it on CRAP and will link it here.
If anyone goes to the Houston M&G I will be there and be glad to show you how  I did it.

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

galpd320

Re: ez sidemount plate...
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »

I just made one myself. Made it without welding as well using sheet metal and a jigsaw. Waiting for the black paint to dry now. I would rather have had it chromed, but didn't have time. Mine places the plate vertical along the shock going up from the final drive housing instead of beside it. I wanted it to tuck in closer to the bike. I just couldn't stand to pay almost $200 for something my cheap a$$ looking license plate was going to cover up anyway.  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal