Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: miss  (Read 2541 times)

terrible TC

miss
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:59:02 PM »

My X developed a miss last night. I was riding home from denton. I had just stopped for gas and all of a sudden I started losing power, it stopped after a few seconds, but did it a couple of more times the rest of the trip. I rode 60 miles this mornin to work no problems, but on the way home this evening it did it again, and for a time was running like it was on one cylinder, it stopped before I got to the next exit. and of course did it one more time after I passed the exit. then al of a sudden it was back to normal. no probems for the next 50 miles. I havent done anything to the engine or anything but fill it with gas. I ran that tank dry and filled back up tonight, im thinking either a fouled plug or maybe I got ahold of some bad gas. Anyone got an idea here?

oh yeah its an 2002 1800R
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 11:00:45 PM by terrible TC »

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
Re: miss
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 11:02:09 PM »

try your battery cables if loose this may be your problem

check your gas cap seal also

put some Sea Foam in the tank also
all these additives in the gas sometimes cause problems if not being riden a lot
link on sea foam
http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=3729.0
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 04:08:30 PM by skipppy75 »

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:38:03 AM »

try your battery cables if loose this may be your problem

put some Sea Foam in the tank also
all these additives in the gas sometimes cause problems if not being riden a lot
link on sea foam
http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=3729.0

Yep, sounds like a ground problem.   O0

txvtxrider

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:04:34 AM »

same thing happened to me a few months back, tighten up your battery cables

slowbluesriff

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:30:09 AM »

ground fix....

found this on national board
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190419&highlight=ground+fix
should be easy fix...
dave
03 1800c
Bald Cranberries tires and low on gas!
" I am glad my weiner is where i can reach it, and not between my shoulderblades"

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:31:51 PM »

definetly sounds like the grounding issue. check out this site, it's from the national board. LOTS of good info in here. http://tech.vtxoa.com/  click on 1800, then electrical and wiring, then on ground fix. follow the directions. this should take care of anymore electrical problems you may encounter. as a side note, you do not have to remove the tank to fix the coil ground issue. it is easier, but not necessary. any ?'s shoot me a PM. good luck and ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

terrible TC

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 10:04:47 PM »

well it worked....kinda. The ground wire on the battery was loose, and now tightened. Seemed to go away, but it came back, albeit, not nearly as severe. Im gonna check out the links above and see what else is up there, and Ill keep ya ll posted. I appreciate all the response.

terrible TC

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 01:01:05 AM »

checked out those links, Ill have to get to that this weekend. Little too involved operation to do out in the yard at night. Ill take it in to my step dads shop and get to scrapin and tightening. thansk for the help.  O0

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:37:17 AM »

When I got my bike the battery had been over tightend. So I had to tap it out and go with a bigger screw. That is the only thing I found to do with mine.
Good luck
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

terrible TC

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 11:02:47 AM »

well it looks as if Im gonna have to work on it today. its missing the entire time now, Im 60 miles from work and 40 miles from my truck, sure smells like a day off. cant get over 50mph and it just sounds B A D. this sucks.

another question, could it be possible that while all this was goin on Before I tightened the battery ground, that I fouled one or more spark plugs? Im not a mechanic, so I really have no clue, just throwing that out there. seems like during all this, it had bound to have some effect on something else.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:08:33 AM by terrible TC »

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 02:03:40 PM »

check the plugs see what they look like. But I would bet it is a ground issue.
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

terrible TC

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 06:32:14 PM »

well I pulled the plugs, 3 looked good but one is fouled pretty good, rear right cylinder to be exact. I cleaned it up and put it back in, and of course that did no good, limped to the local autozone for new plugs and they were out of 4419's and 4418's. Ive done a few searches, what are other plugs for the 1800R?  :-\

its runnign awful. I can get around in town, but 5th gear is hopeless. Major backfire when i decel, bad things man, bad things.

how bad am I hurting the engine limpin around town in short 2-5 mile hops>?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 06:39:33 PM by terrible TC »

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 09:41:03 PM »

i'd say that you're not hurting the engine, just fouling plugs. just try and get to fixing the grounds as soon as possible. everything should be fine after that. good luck.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

slowbluesriff

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 09:59:08 PM »

i'd say that you're not hurting the engine, just fouling plugs. just try and get to fixing the grounds as soon as possible. everything should be fine after that. good luck.

+1 ASAP
03 1800c
Bald Cranberries tires and low on gas!
" I am glad my weiner is where i can reach it, and not between my shoulderblades"

terrible TC

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 11:00:59 PM »

well, guess my saturday is planned, at least part of it, Ill take the tank off then, good thing is that the tank is close to empty already, bad news is that it took less than 70 miles this tank for the low fuel light to come on. I changed plugs today to the 4419. took it for about a 10 mile run out to where I could get to highway speed, and no change.  also put some seafoam in it. Actually when I got about 2 blocks from the house it showed some signs of life, not much, but too little too late, its parked til saturday.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal