Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: backfiring  (Read 2316 times)

txvtxrider

backfiring
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:51:53 AM »

I was just wondering if a lot of backfiring was common after having the clayton mod done.  I've had this mod done for about 4 months or so and up to about a week or so, the bike hardly ever backfired.  I was out yesterday, and everytime I left off the throttle or would downshift, the backfiring would happen.  Does anyone have a fix for this?

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
Re: backfiring
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 06:32:33 AM »

Time to Desmog, David!   O0

txvtxrider

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:48:57 AM »

What is that?  I'm b ignorant and unknowing of all this stuff?  Hope it is something simple.

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:30:20 AM »

Next time you ride, close your throttle completely off at decel (don't just let it go, but turn it closed). See if this doesn't get rid of some, if not all of the popping.

If you can make the BBT next week, you can have access to a whole lot of VTX knowledge and mods.  O0

txvtxrider

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 07:47:56 AM »

Should I just do this once or do you think that I may need to try it a few times and see if it goes away.  It was popping quite a bit, so was just wondering how often I should do that.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 07:48:02 AM »

Goto the http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ site, look down the left side to the tech /mods area, first is the pair valve/desmog link. click on it.
I would more think that since it just started happening now, check your pipes where they enter the motor, see if you have an exhaust leak there...if not, check the muffler, crossover (IF YOU HAVE ONE) connections for a leak/ place for air to get sucked back in as this will cause excessive backfiring. HMMMM have you had your pipes off lately???
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

txvtxrider

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 07:52:53 AM »

I hadn't taken my pipes off at all...was considering taking them off if it meant I didnt have to hear that popping anymore.

txvtxrider

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 08:03:27 AM »

Way too complicated for me...I am not a mechanic or even one who likes to tinker with stuff.  Guess I may be taking it to the stealership to get this fixed.

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 08:36:38 AM »

Take it in for the popping no prob...but most probably they will probably refuse to desmog it unless the warranty is out... even then, bypassing emission controls might be a "law" they wouldn't touch anyway.

Check for leaks on your exhaust anyway.. a nut can loosen up, bolts break...etc. To me it sounds like a exhaust leak sucking air....Better that than a carb/injector prob. Not sure which you have.
     420! Yeah, baby!

txvtxrider

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »

Do you think that I could take my bike to a muffler shop and they could look at it and fix it?

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 02:18:45 PM »

check the header bolts for torque. then take off the pair valve (desmog). it should only void your warranty if that is what caused whatever to fail. never heard of anyone actually having a problem with it.

txvtxrider

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:26:37 PM »

Could I bribe anyone to come over and help me take a look at the bike?  I would appreciate any help available.

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 02:34:05 PM »

Whatcha' gonna be doin' this Friday? I may be out ridin' your way, piddlin.
     420! Yeah, baby!

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 02:59:13 PM »

Could I bribe anyone to come over and help me take a look at the bike?  I would appreciate any help available.

You can always come to my place.  I am in Allen.

txvtxrider

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 05:52:45 AM »

I am going to switch out the spark plugs on it this afternoon after I get home...snake what time do you think that you might be out my way?  Southern I may end up running it up your way if I cant hook up with snake for some reason and the new plugs dont work out.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal