Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Securing Saddlebags?  (Read 1292 times)

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
Securing Saddlebags?
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:36:47 PM »

I just bought River Road's Zip-Off Extra-Large Slant Saddlebags.  http://www.riverroadgear.com/rrweb.nsf/Products/3549C096CB6E13CB862570670072D46E?opendocument

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips about securing them.  I have Cobra supports, and tried the straps that came with the bags, but they kind of pull the bags into an awkward position.  I have them on the bike, ran under the passenger seat, and it seat seems to hold them well, so do I even need to worry about securing them?  And what about protecting them from the exhaust pipe?

Thanks!

RobDogg

• Old Timer
  • Sanger, TX (North Denton)
Re: Securing Saddlebags?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »

What you might run into is the wind turning them into wings.  I once had a set that would 'flail' out if I didn't have them tied. I tied them to the shocks and that did ok.  If you have them under the seat then you're probably ok for them staying put unless you load one side really heavy, but you'll want to keep them from flapping.  As for the exhaust, just make sure you have them up high enough and that they won't slide one way or the other under the pillion seat.

Another option is to consider EZ brackets. That's what I have and they are awesome.
RobDogg

"No Child Should Live In Fear"
link--> B.A.C.A - Bikers Against Child Abuse

'03 1800C - Customized by me, for me, the way I want it.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 10:36:34 AM »

I sure do like that white bike you have there RobDogg!

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:20:56 PM »

Yeah, I've been getting drool on my keyboard looking at Rob's ride, too!  Not that mine is a slouch....I just like that white!!!

Back to the subject at hand, I have the Willie and Max soft slant bags on mine with the Cobra mounts.  My solution is a tad unorthodox, but, it worked.  I bought four, rubber lined metal tie downs of the proper size to fit the Cobra supports.  I put them over the lower, horizontal part of the supports....two on each side, close to the ends of the horizontal part, with the "leg" of the tie down pointing up.  (I don't know what the proper name of the 'tie downs' would be, but, it is a metal strap material with a rubber lining.  If viewed from the side, it resembles a "P" shape....the rounded part has the rubber liner and the 'leg' has a hole for a screw or bolt.  You can find them in the electrical area of Home Depot or the like).

After placing the tie downs on the supports, I marked a spot on the saddle bag where it lined up with the hole in the tie down.  I then used a 1" washer on each side of the saddle bag material and used a short, rounded head bolt to hold them on.  I put a small amount of silicone sealer under each side of the washers that contacted the bag....this sealed the hole and provided better support.

They have been on there for almost four years, no sagging, no problems and the one on the right has never touched the pipe and it HAS been loaded!  I tried to attach a sketch, but, it said the upload folder was full........sorry.  :(
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:08:25 AM »

Excellent, I am going to a friend's shop to work on his bike today, I think I will give that a shot...

RobDogg

• Old Timer
  • Sanger, TX (North Denton)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 09:22:46 AM »

Thanks for the compliments on the bike guys, one of these days I'll bless you with it's presence at some event ;-)  No drooling on the leather please  O0

Those clamps are an excellent idea if not perfect.  They're the same clamps that are on the brake lines down near the front caliper so I know exactly to what you refer.  Awesome and cheap!!
RobDogg

"No Child Should Live In Fear"
link--> B.A.C.A - Bikers Against Child Abuse

'03 1800C - Customized by me, for me, the way I want it.

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 09:50:15 PM »

Got 'em on and secured with the clamps...  worked great!  Thanks for the advice...

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 09:53:19 AM »

Glad the clamps worked out for you.  I did forget to mention that I used some blue loctite on the nuts (after losing one).  I figured the little bit of silicone sealer that made its' way to the bolt threads would have kept it in placek, but, nay.

The clamps have done a wonderful job of helping the soft bags maintain their shape.  I have seen a lot of them begin to 'sag' after hanging for a while, but, the ones on my ride still look good.  Were I not a poor man, I would have gone with the hard bags....maybe after I hit the lotto or in the next life,  O0
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal