Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If it weren't stupid it wouldn't be funny  (Read 594 times)

hangman

• Old Timer
If it weren't stupid it wouldn't be funny
« on: May 01, 2007, 12:03:16 PM »

I read a post on here a while bick.  One of us had been doing some wheel work and then jumped on his bike and went through a stop sign for lack of brakes.  One of the wiser more experienced riders reminded him that you have to pump those calipers back down against the rotor for them to engage. 

If no one else has told you - Thanks for that heads up.

Case in point:  We have a guy where I work that swapped his old bike for a Deep Blue Streetglide about a year ago.  I just got word he laid his bike down to the tune of $2,000 (which really doesnt' seem like much with the cost of parts and paint) and a banged up shoulder.

His drive way drops sharply down to the street.  After removing the wheels to change tires he got every thing buttoned up then jumped on it and started backing out the drive to test them out. . .

You guessed it - no brakes. . .   

Unfortunately the last time I heard "don't put your foot down" was about a year prior to my little episode of stupidity.  It took me a long time before I could admit in public what I had done. 

I was following a Goldwing and a BMW - set the curve up wrong and got down on  my highwaybar.  Instead of reacting I zoned out and stuck my foot down to try to hold up a 750+lb bike with 200+lb rider and baggage.  Six months in various type casts and then rehab. . .

This beers for you Forest - Momma is right "Stupid is as stupid does."   :D

Have a laugh on me guys. ;)

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
Re: If it weren't stupid it wouldn't be funny
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »

No laugh here, hangman. One's mind & body will do reactionary things, unless continually trained.   
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

hangman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 01:58:34 PM »

No laugh here, hangman. One's mind & body will do reactionary things, unless continually trained.   

Thanks, but to be honest - Even I can laugh at myself now.  Course I come from a long line of morbid country folk that will laugh at a fellow for shooing a nail into his leg and then ask if it hurt. . . ;D or shooting a nail through his finger or even cutting the tip of a finger off with a skill saw. . . (The last one wasn't me  O0)

More than any thing is it hacked me off I lost three really nice trips that year.

Oh! by the way - I don't stick my foot down or use nail guns any more.   8)

Boogie

• Master Tejano Rider
  • GULF OF MEXICO
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 06:53:16 PM »

Putting your foot down stem's back to when you were a child on your
bicycle. No Brakes drop the feet and hold on to the handlebars.
                      Native Texan, I ride a steel horse

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal