Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To have or not to have brakes??  (Read 3032 times)

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
To have or not to have brakes??
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:08:34 AM »

Well last Saturday Hangman and myself tried to bleed his brakes on his 1800R and got the front brakes working pretty good but the floorboard one is still not in the best of shape you might say. Had a workshop manual and red the directions more than once and still didn't work right. Soo if there might be someone that is free for a couple of hours next Sunday afternoon for some brake work on X it would be greatly appreciated. And I myself would like to know what the BLEEP we were doing wrong!!!  Thanks 8)  Oh!! Hangman is in Rowlett!! ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 06:11:37 AM by VTXChad »
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Re: To have or not to have brakes??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:55:19 AM »

Have you tried to open up the bleeder and just let it free flow for a min. Then Try Bleeding it normally?
If that dose not work take the bleeder out and put your thumb over the hole and try and burp it. Then let it free flow and it should bleed like normal once your done.
If that dose not work PM me and I will give you my number to see if I can help.
Thanks
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

hangman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »

We're actually getting clear fluid out of the rear caliper and Right side (sitting on the bike) Left side (standing in front facing the bike) Starboard side - which ever the hell way your facing. . .  The port side is giving me a stream of bubbles.  I worked some more on it after Chad left and even jury rigged a vacuum bleeder.  The stream of bubbles were getting fewer but it still seems to be a heck of a lot of air is such a little amount of space.

By the way Chad - Lisa is getting fed up and is starting to insist I take it to the dealership even if we get it fixed just so they can check it. 

For $70 I would agree but it's got me so d@$*& pi$$ that I can't accomplish some thing that simple I can't see straight.  Never had this problem with the auto's.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:43:37 AM »

Are you guys bleeding it in order??? 

hangman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:58:43 AM »

Are you guys bleeding it in order??? 

Treat me like a total idiot and tell me which order we should be going in. 

We've been doing it Front Port Caliper first, Then Front Starboard then Rear.

Pardon the nautical terminalogy - I was big into sailing before getting the bike.  I'm so dam confused now between the manual, Bareass's write up and facing/slash sitting  - that's the only way I'll really know which side is which.   :-\

RobDogg

• Old Timer
  • Sanger, TX (North Denton)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »

Put some teflon tape on the bleeder screw threads. I'll bet your pulling air in through the threads.

You're doing it in the right order.  A vac pump or speed bleeders would simplify the process greatly. I have speed bleeders on my bike and I use a vac pump to bleed with.
RobDogg

"No Child Should Live In Fear"
link--> B.A.C.A - Bikers Against Child Abuse

'03 1800C - Customized by me, for me, the way I want it.

hangman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 12:35:45 PM »

Put some teflon tape on the bleeder screw threads. I'll bet your pulling air in through the threads.

You're doing it in the right order.  A vac pump or speed bleeders would simplify the process greatly. I have speed bleeders on my bike and I use a vac pump to bleed with.

Well - I originally ordered 4 speed bleeders - one for each caliper and the clutch.  I used on on the upper right side one on the rear.  I'll just plug the other two in the left upper and lower and see if that solves the problem.

Second thought - the front brakes are bled and working fine - I'm not going to jack with those for now.  Maybe I'll complete the rear system with the speed bleeders and see what shakes out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

RobDogg

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 01:01:13 PM »

I'm going to throw out the obvious too while I'm at it.....  O0

Remember that there are 2 bleed screws per from caliper for a total of 5 on the brake system (and one more for the clutch which has to be a short one).

The upper-most on the front calipers is for the outer two pistons actuated by the front brake lever.

The middle most bleeder is for the center piston which is actuated by the rear brake pedal.  You have to bleed each front brake caliper twice. Once for the front system, and once for the rear system. Each time using the corresponding bleeder screw.

Your post about order 4 bleeders instead of 6 prompted me to mention this...  O0
RobDogg

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »

Thanks!! ::)
Member since 2004

Dusty

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 03:27:56 PM »

Hell hangman, if you want to stop, just put your foot down!  ::) ::) :D ;D ;D O0

hangman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »

Hell hangman, if you want to stop, just put your foot down!  ::) ::) :D ;D ;D O0

??? ??? ???Been there done that - Ain't goin back. . .  ;D ;D ;D

RobDogg

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »

Thanks!! ::)

I know! I said it was the obvious!! But you know that it's sometimes the most simple things that get overlooked.  Just like when you get those questions as to why the bike won't start and it's because the kill switch is in the off position. We've all been there once or twice, figgered I'd just throw it out there just in case  :D :D 8)
RobDogg

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »

Hey Hangman where in Rowlett do you live? I live in Rowlett off Dal-Rock. You shouldn't be trusting a backwoods East Texas boy to help with your bike!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 05:05:57 PM »

Well THANKS JIMMY!!  lol He just lives down the road from ya!! You goin over to fix his brakes??  ;D ;D
Member since 2004

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 08:18:06 PM »

Well THANKS JIMMY!!  lol He just lives down the road from ya!! You goin over to fix his brakes??  ;D ;D

No Way! I'm from East Texas also!
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal