Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck shifter  (Read 1910 times)

vivisue

Stuck shifter
« on: April 20, 2007, 07:07:38 PM »

A couple of months ago my shifter started getting stuck in 2nd and wouldn't shift to third until I had given it about 3-10 tries.  Then it did it a little from 3rd to 4th and a couple of times between 4th and 5th.  This went on for a couple of days while on a ride from Southlake to Mena, AR and back.  Hubby got on while I rode his Wing and the same things were happening to him.  We went through a town, and he had to slip the clutch in 3rd pretty good after having to come almost to a complete stop at a stop light.

The shifter hasn't "stuck" again since.  Any ideas as to why this happened?

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: Stuck shifter
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:28:20 PM »

It's a mystery to me, but I'm not good with transmissions.
02 1800C

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 08:42:33 PM »

my buddy has an hd that has had the same problem.
i took off the shifter and greased everything that moved and he hasn't had the problem since.(all splines and rod ends)

i hope this is at least a starting point for ya
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."
"I am the BAD thing that happens to GOOD people!"

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:01:14 PM »

i took off the shifter and greased everything that moved and he hasn't had the problem since.(all splines and rod ends)

I've read something before about this problem and had saved the articial about it and can't find it now but, basically what it said was to take it apart, lub it up and that will cure the prob.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:15:45 AM »

did you put energy conserving oil in it by accident? it happened to Brock and his ended up not moving pretty much at all.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 10:47:45 AM »

I've read something before about this problem and had saved the articial about it and can't find it now but, basically what it said was to take it apart, lub it up and that will cure the prob.

Yep, get the oil out...  May even need a little of that special goo that some use. 

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »

i've read about this problem many times on the national board. just need to pull apart the shifter linkage clean it up and oil it. this usually takes care of the problem. good luck. 
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

vivisue

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 08:46:26 PM »

Thanks, guys.  Nope, no energy conserving oil.  Sounds like it just needs a little extra lube.   Did a run to East Texas yesterday.  Still no more problems.

Stealer's mechanic tried to tell me that synthetic oil will lock them up like that.  But he only said that after he found out I wasn't running Honda oil.  I guess all those thousands of bikes that run synthetic and never had this problem are just "lucky".  Needless to say, I won't be going back to that dealer any time soon for any kind of service.  I'll be taking mine to Rockwall Honda.

Thanks for all the replies!
Suzanne

Yep, get the oil out...  May even need a little of that special goo that some use. 

Bomber

• Old Timer
  • 03' 1800R slightly modded......
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 01:09:40 AM »

It happens to mine in cold wx.  The shifter binds up and the lever won't return to the center of it's throw.  I can catch it with my foot and reset the pedal.  But now that the bike's down for maintenance I'm gettin the  grease can out.

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:34:24 AM »

It amazes me that people can still tell you that synthetic oil will kill your bike.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 09:05:45 AM »

It amazes me that people can still tell you that synthetic oil will kill your bike.

Synthetic oil is the Devil!   :o ;D ;D ;D ;D 

I have been running Mobil 1 since 2002 in my C and no problems so far.   8)

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 09:28:32 PM »

I'd put a 'spirit bell' on and hope for the best before I blamed it on synthetic oil, that's B.S.!  I've been running Royal Purple since the beast was broke in and never had anything but a smooth shift.....go with what the other folks said to do.  O0
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

vivisue

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 09:40:19 PM »

Ha!  As a matter of fact, I've got a bell and I'm quite sure that is the very reason that this is the one and ONLY problem I've ever had with my X. 

What I meant to say in that last post was that I asked the service manager "So, you're telling me that all those bikes - Goldwings especially - that put 100,000+ miles on their bikes and run synthetic are just lucky?", and he shrugs his shoulders and says, "yeah, they are".  I said, "you're kidding me, right?", and just walked away.

The older I get, the more people I meet that have truly just BS'd their way through life - they do this to feel self-important, and the only reason that happens is because no one ever calls them on it.  Well, I don't believe in perpetuating the grand illusions they have of themselves.   ::)

Thanks for all your advice and supporting syn!

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 07:00:51 AM »

"if ya can't dazzle them with definition...baffle them with bull AppleSauce"    O0 :D ;D O0

that's my motto!
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."
"I am the BAD thing that happens to GOOD people!"

slowbluesriff

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 11:24:06 PM »

03 1800c
Bald Cranberries tires and low on gas!
" I am glad my weiner is where i can reach it, and not between my shoulderblades"

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal