Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meaning of Flag Draped Coffin  (Read 5273 times)

forevrtxan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • (Leander) Austin, Texas
Meaning of Flag Draped Coffin
« on: April 13, 2007, 08:44:10 AM »

I hope you take the time to read this..... To understand what the flag draped coffin really means..... Here is how to understand the flag that laid upon it and is surrendered to so many widows and widowers.

Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?

Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the United States of America Flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original 13 colonies, but we learn something new every day!

The 1st fold of the flag is a symbol of life.

The 2nd fold is a symbol of the belief in eternal life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing the ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with their heart that They pledge allegiance to the flag of the United! States Of America, and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that they protect their country and their flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of their republic.

The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of their country since they were first born.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding them of their nations motto, "In God We Trust."

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for them the rights, privileges and freedoms they enjoy today.

There are some traditions and ways of doing things that have deep meaning.

In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you will know why.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:45:47 AM by forevrtxan »
David

'05 1800R2 (with sidestand down)

Old enuff to know better....but young enuff to still do it!!!!!!

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway~~John Wayne

All the way up in there!!!! (Quote from VTreX at BBTIII)

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Meaning of Flag Draped Coffin
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 08:51:12 AM »

I knew the 21 gun salute part but didn't know the flag folds.
Thanks, good post  O0 O0 O0
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:35:47 AM »

thanks, i didnt know any of that
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

Gothicguy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:17:26 PM »

I like your meaning, but according to Snopes.com the true meaning is much more practical.
http://www.snopes.com/military/flagfold.htm

Gothicguy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:18:26 PM »

figowitz

• Tejano
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »

*I like your meaning, but according to Snopes.com the true meaning is much more practical.*

And just WHAT makes this Snopes.com any more accurate than the original post???  Did G*d Himself decree Snopes.com to be the end-all to everything???

I'll stick with something a little more sensitive, sentimental, and patriotic than what Mr. Practical Snopes has to offer ...

hooter

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:29:33 AM »

Welp let's put it this way:

Message alleges that there is meaning to each fold of the American flag, for example, at a military funeral when the flag is presented to the family of the person who died.  Most of them are of spiritual and religious significance. 

The meaning of the folding of the American flag that is described in this eRumor is not without importance, but it is not official and not required.

Public Law 94-344, known as the Federal Flag Code, is the law of the land regarding the handling and displaying of the American flag.  It does not include anything regarding the significance or meaning of folding the flag.  It was first adopted by Congress in 1923 and revised numerous times. 

According to the American Legion, the code does not call for a ceremonial folding of the flag and the folding procedure is also  traditional.  Same for the meanings of the folds. Nobody seems to know when or where it originated or who wrote it.  There is speculation that it may have come from a chaplain who attached the mostly Judeo-Christian religious meanings to the folds, perhaps for a burial ceremony.

Official or not, the statement has gained status as the traditional meaning of the folds and is found in many governmental and military manuals.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/f/foldsoftheflag.htm
Al
ps I still say thanks for the post (David ?) forevrtxan, it's informitive and a good'un

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 11:32:34 AM by hooter »

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 11:59:24 AM »

I don't really care what snopes sez, according to them it looks like one of Martha Stewarts ancestors could have invented the fold. Ever seen her make a bed? OMG give me a gun.  I like the meaning that Forevrtexan gave when ever and where ever  it came from makes no difference to me, I think it is good even if it was adapted later. 

There are many things that start off one way and people adapt a paticular way or tradition to something more relevent to modern times. Take Halloween for instance or a simple meaning of a word like bad. Remember when bad was bad then bad was good like cool, but it could still mean bad too.

just my .02

sherri  

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:43:37 PM »

Sherri, would that be like the word EVIL? ;D ;D
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 02:44:43 PM »

Sherri, would that be like the word EVIL? ;D ;D

Exactly :D

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:05:03 AM »

I don't really care what snopes sez, according to them it looks like one of Martha Stewarts ancestors could have invented the fold. Ever seen her make a bed? OMG give me a gun.  I like the meaning that Forevrtexan gave when ever and where ever  it came from makes no difference to me, I think it is good even if it was adapted later. 

There are many things that start off one way and people adapt a paticular way or tradition to something more relevent to modern times. Take Halloween for instance or a simple meaning of a word like bad. Remember when bad was bad then bad was good like cool, but it could still mean bad too.

just my .02

sherri  

so sherri, are you bad or bad?  ;) ;D

thats just sick!  O0
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

forevrtxan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • (Leander) Austin, Texas
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 07:30:32 AM »

ps I still say thanks for the post (David ?) forevrtxan, it's informitive and a good'un

just my .02

sherri  

Thanks guys!!!! Didn't know it was gonna raise such a hulla-ballo. Just thought it was patriotic. Thanks for the cudos!!!!  O0

David
David

'05 1800R2 (with sidestand down)

Old enuff to know better....but young enuff to still do it!!!!!!

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway~~John Wayne

All the way up in there!!!! (Quote from VTreX at BBTIII)

hooter

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 09:28:41 AM »

just my .02

sherri  

Thanks guys!!!! Didn't know it was gonna raise such a hulla-ballo. Just thought it was patriotic. Thanks for the cudos!!!!  O0

David

You got it my brother O0 O0 See ya at the BBT 8) 8) 8) I'll be the one in the Black vest ;D ;D ;D ;D :D O0
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 10:03:24 AM by hooter »

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 09:58:01 AM »

just my .02

sherri  

so sherri, are you bad or bad?  ;) ;D

thats just sick!  O0

was bad now just evil  ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal