Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chest Pains When You Exercise?  (Read 1777 times)

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
Chest Pains When You Exercise?
« on: April 07, 2007, 06:58:12 AM »

Early this week I noticed every time I started walking fast, my chest began to ache.  I wasn't out of breath but the pain was pretty bad.  Wednesday morning I drove to the emergency room at the nearby hospital and the ekg looked perfectly fine - just like it always had before at regular checkups.  However, the blood tests showed a heart enzyme that was slightly elevated.  The doctor said it might be nothing but they wanted to do more tests so they admitted me to the hospital.  Thursday they performed an angiogram and found an artery that was over 90% blocked.  No wonder I had chest pains when I exerted myself.  I came home last night with a stent in the blockage that restored blood flow and I'm going to be fine.  The lesson: don't ignore that chest pain.  Multiple doctors had listened to my heart and studied several ekg's and found nothing and yet I was only one little added stress from a full blown heart attack.  Oh, they said the chest pains were a heart attack - just a very small one.  Some of those pains were pretty damn bad; I'd hate to endure the pain of a full blown attack.
When the cardiologist checked on my the day after the procedure he said, "You're a very lucky man." 
I agree.
Don't ignore a chest pain.  Better safe than sorry.
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring

vtxcrzr

• Old Timer
  • New Braunfels, TX Black 1800C
Re: Chest Pains When You Exercise?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 07:09:33 AM »

You are a lucky man.  Glad this story had a happy ending.   :)

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:43:24 AM »

Glad to hear you are OK.......... :)
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:06:18 AM »

good to here your ok, always got to pay attention to the body. my mother in law just went through this. she had to have 3 stints put in.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 01:20:50 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience and the information.
YOU CAN ONLY BE YOUNG ONCE, BUT YOU CAN BE IMMATURE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE..

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »

A lesson we all need to pay attention to. Thanks for reminding us and thank God you are ok.

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 06:57:41 PM »

Glad your ok Doc!

pacrat

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress,Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 07:26:11 PM »

Dan, listen to your body, even if you know it's just gas!!!  Glad it worked out this time.  While you're settling down from this , try to figure out what to use the stent for on the wing.  Bound to be a use for it somewhere!! lol  By the way, the trike is coming sooner that we thought.
Louis

solitary-man

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 04:47:54 AM »

Glad to hear that you are alright. I used to get chest pains, but Baywatch went off the air. Guess this will be a special Easter for you.  O0

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »

I know how you feel.... I spent Christmas eve 1998 haveing triple bypass.... I did not have a heart attack.  I had three at 90% all the markers, but passed a stress test. It showed on the thalumn(sp) part of the test..... Then the angiogram, a blind man could see the blockage... I was a very LUCKY man also..... I sure hope they come up with a better way to fix it before I need it again.... I got the ZIPPER!!! :'( :'( :'(   O0 O0 O0 O0 ;D ;D ;D ;D Glad WE ARE STILL HERE!!!!!!
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 05:02:47 PM »

I know how you feel.... I spent Christmas eve 1998 haveing triple bypass.... I did not have a heart attack.  I had three at 90% all the markers, but passed a stress test. It showed on the thalumn(sp) part of the test..... Then the angiogram, a blind man could see the blockage... I was a very LUCKY man also..... I sure hope they come up with a better way to fix it before I need it again.... I got the ZIPPER!!! :'( :'( :'(   O0 O0 O0 O0 ;D ;D ;D ;D Glad WE ARE STILL HERE!!!!!!

I had just finished eating an apple when I found your post; a little bit of irony there if you like that kind of thing.  I'm glad you had a good outcome.  Imagine where we would be if this happened 20 years ago.  We do live in amazing times.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 05:04:28 PM by Snake Doc »
2006 Goldwing Nav

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 05:38:37 PM »

My mom is 96, my dad died at 52 when I was 17.  I was on the same track as him.... Yes, thank God for times!!!! O0 O0 O0 O0
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

pacrat

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress,Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 07:01:53 PM »

Just checking in on ya.  Everything ok?  My next scan is Friday.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »

Just checking in on ya.  Everything ok?  My next scan is Friday.

Yea keep us posted on your condition.

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 05:26:46 AM »

The story continues: On Monday, 4th day after the angioplasty, my right leg began to hurt like hell. After the procedure they had a hard time stopping the bleeding when they removed the catheter from my femoral artery.  So they warned my I would have extensive bruising and pain for a while so I toughed it out for a few days.  Yesterday I called the doctor's office to see if they would take a look at my leg and they referred me to the hospital to have a doppler ultrasound of the artery.  Sure enough they found a pseudo-aneurism which was leaking arterial blood that was pooling all over the inner tissues of my leg and torso.  They had warned me that this was a possible side effect of the angiogram but the chances were " 1 in a hundred."  Now the amazing part.  I thought a surgeion would have to go in, isolate the area and suture it closed.  Good news; an interventional radiologist was able to guide a long needle to the area and apply a substance at the source of the leak that clotted the blood and apparently fixed the problem.  (This works 99 times out of 100; but let's not go there.)  I go back this morning for another ultrasound to verify that the aneurism is truly sealed off.  Now as soon as the swelling in my groin and thigh subsides I'll be able to throw my leg over my bike and get some riding in.  One last note.  My employer, USAA, is reserving a parking space for me at the entrance to my building to minimize walking for the next few weeks.  What a great place to work.
2006 Goldwing Nav
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal