Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter Problem Fix  (Read 1132 times)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Starter Problem Fix
« on: March 24, 2007, 07:32:02 PM »

Recently I started having some starting problems. It would occasionally start to turn over, then quit. At first I thought it was my nearly five year old battery showing its age. I figured it was about time to replace it anyway, so I did so.

No joy.

I took apart the starter switch, expecting to see arc burns or something similar. It looked good, so I cleaned and lubed it and put it back together.

No joy.

Next I pulled the solenoid (I believe Honda calls it the starter relay), cleaned and lubed it after testing it (it tested fine), and put it back in.

No joy.

I checked the connections from the solenoid to the starter; that boot at the starter terminal is a booger to get at without ruining it. The connections were fine.

No joy.

Last night I rode it to the side job and I finally figured out the problem: The switch, ostensibly due to wear, now slides far enough that the contacts on the slide travel past the opposite contacts if I push the button all the way to the stop.

So, if your starter catches and abruptly disengages as you press the switch, then catches again briefly as you release the switch, you probably have the same problem. You just need to disassemble the switch and apply something to eliminate the overtravel. Hope this helps someone.
02 1800C

SeaRider

• Old Timer
  • College Station, TX
Re: Starter Problem Fix
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 09:52:55 PM »

Hey Jim, at least you finally got a new battery out of all that work! ;) O0
2008 Goldwing Level 4 - Dark Red Metallic
2005 VTX 1800F Spec 1 - Silver Tribal
RIDE SAFE  -  RIDE FREE!!

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »

I've noticed mine doing that and it's only a year old.  I'll check it out.  Thanks.

*Closet Darksider*

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »

Hey Hipshot,
     You may recall the problem I had with my starter switch at about 1 year old.  The contacts in the moveable portion, that should have been 'floating' on a spring, were embedded in the plastic during manufacture.  After some use, they were not making good contact and began to arc and burn, accelerating their demise.
     I was fortunate enough to get the 'stealer' to agree that it was a manufacturing defect (even though I was a month out of warranty) and they got another for me at no cost.....except, I had to let them install it for a half hour charge, $35.  You can't buy the switch by itself, you have to buy the entire throttle block with harness....$85.  Needles to say, I was prepared to manufacture my own switch block and floating contacts!
     Anyway, my point in posting.....I have found most starters can be brought back to 'like new' by simply cleaning the carbon from between the commutator strips.  This does entail removing the starter and taking it apart.  The only tricky thing is reassembly, holding the brushes back while putting the winding back in place.  Oh yeah, when taking it apart, be sure to have your hand wrapped around the end with the brushes, or do it inside a plastic bag.....this will prevent you from having to search your garage for the little springs that will go flying to who knows where.  Be sure to lightly lubricate bearing surfaces and apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the 'O' rings before reassembly.
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal