Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: keepin it covered  (Read 1202 times)

gruntsky

keepin it covered
« on: March 16, 2007, 09:10:57 AM »

howdy,

I was wandering if anyone had suggestion on how to properly clean and store a bike.  I live in an apartment and don't have access to a garage, so I'm scared that my bike is going to start rusting.  I usually keep it clean and covered (with a motorcycle cover I bought at Wal-mart),  and I am in the process of trying to find a storage building for it.  Any suggestions on rust prevention or storage buildings in the pasadena area would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

gruntsky

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
Re: keepin it covered
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 09:20:03 AM »

howdy,

I was wandering if anyone had suggestion on how to properly clean and store a bike.  I live in an apartment and don't have access to a garage, so I'm scared that my bike is going to start rusting.  I usually keep it clean and covered (with a motorcycle cover I bought at Wal-mart),  and I am in the process of trying to find a storage building for it.  Any suggestions on rust prevention or storage buildings in the pasadena area would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

gruntsky

Get a house with a garage.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:39:15 AM »

Are you talking about storage any length of time or just regular overnight storage?

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:01:23 AM »

Most storage places won't let you store anything like that because of the flamables. If they do, the insurance rates they charge are usually twice to three times as much as the per month rental rate.  :-\ :-\ That's just what I found.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 10:04:27 AM »

Sounds like me.  I keep mine under covered parking, under a lockable motorcycle cover w/ good venting (CoverMax), locked forks, discs, cable locks to the covered parking pole, and a couple of other locks.  Trying to buy a house w/ a garage in the next year (as suggested above), but I keep it in a friends garage most of the time.  But if it's at my casa at any given night, it's locked the hell up as best as possible.  It takes a while for me to get it all 'undone' when I have it at my house, but between insurance coverage, locks, and garaging as much as possible at a bud's house, that's all I've got for now.

“You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas”
~ Davy Crockett
2006 VTX 1300R candy black cherry

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 11:45:35 AM »

Sounds like me.  I keep mine under covered parking, under a lockable motorcycle cover w/ good venting (CoverMax), locked forks, discs, cable locks to the covered parking pole, and a couple of other locks.  Trying to buy a house w/ a garage in the next year (as suggested above), but I keep it in a friends garage most of the time.  But if it's at my casa at any given night, it's locked the hell up as best as possible.  It takes a while for me to get it all 'undone' when I have it at my house, but between insurance coverage, locks, and garaging as much as possible at a bud's house, that's all I've got for now.

Dang - the scrap metal price for all the locks and chains should cover the down payment.

What is your parking situation at work?  I know a couple of folks that store thier bike at work.  One stores hers in a garage below the building she works in.

Good luck!
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:26:13 PM »

Dang - the scrap metal price for all the locks and chains should cover the down payment.

What is your parking situation at work?  I know a couple of folks that store thier bike at work.  One stores hers in a garage below the building she works in.

Good luck!

Open parking garage at work.  I know I'm pushing my luck, but if it happens, it happens.  I try to keep it garaged at my friend's most of the time, but when it's home, it's locked up pretty tight.  But hey, if someone's determined enough....
“You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas”
~ Davy Crockett
2006 VTX 1300R candy black cherry

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal