Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Steering stem bearings  (Read 4354 times)

Dusty

Re: Steering stem bearings
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 04:33:58 AM »

I have had my bearings for a while but lack the skils to attempt without some help. Still waiting for a group session to put them in. Don't forget to get the washers and dust rings.

What washers?   Man you know how easily I get confused.  >:(   ;) ;D ;D

OK, after reading Tappers article I see where that nut looking/spacer/washer is actually a spring of sorts. Guess I'll get that too. Thanks James!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:02:34 AM by Dusty »

Dusty

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 05:27:03 AM »

I found this article by Tapper on the vtxoa board. Good info but I still haven't found any bearing numbers.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22148&highlight=steering+stem+bearings

Another tid bit.....

HD, I had the same about 6 months ago! There is a different feel between topping out the forks, and the tic, tic you mention. My top out was a one time clunk, where as the tic, tic I had was a loose stem! I found it by jacking it up and putting her on the PepX, and had a buddy hold the front brake while I pulled forward and aft on the wheel. I could feel the movement and almost see it at the stem. All I needed to do was retorque the stem a bit.......................That was my tic! All is good now. 

Steve

Another

"The two nuts under the tripple tree require a special tool. 44mm socket similar to a spanner configuration. I'm doing the job tonight so I figure I'll make one out of something. The torque for these nuts is in the manual I suggest you torque as required. If they bind at all you WILL be noticing a gyro effect when you try to turn the bike, while riding."

I'm going to try and find that socket and see if I can make a tool. The manual gives a part number for it but without checking I'm sure it's $$$$$$$

I better go to work  ;D

Nope, one more........   http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=37&id=10&artlang=en

Bill
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:02:17 AM by Dusty »

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 06:11:33 AM »

Bill  = Thanks for posting this artical, after reading it, I think I'll be pussin out and calling on Tapper to check my front end, install the springs and adjust my valves while it's there  O0 O0
Good luck on getting the bearing numbers.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Dusty

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 06:59:14 AM »

Bill  = Thanks for posting this artical, after reading it, I think I'll be pussin out and calling on Tapper to check my front end, install the springs and adjust my valves while it's there  O0 O0
Good luck on getting the bearing numbers.

Well, if I wasn't 300 miles away I would love for Tapper to go through my bike. From reading his post and articles over the years he's pretty darn thorough.

I'm thinking a lot of people are due to have the steering stem tightened and just havn't realised it yet. Bearing replacement probably isn't as common.

I'll have the numbers when I pull my bearings!  LOL!    O0

Good Luck !

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 07:01:34 AM »

Dusty I will give Torque a buzz!! He writes down everything . Numbers ect. from things he does to his bike. 
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Dusty

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 07:05:37 AM »

Dusty I will give Torque a buzz!! He writes down everything . Numbers ect. from things he does to his bike. 

I sent him a PM yesterday, I'll have the OEM bearings Monday, but the numbers will help others, especially if they are better and cheaper bearings.

Thanks!

I really should go to work.....roflmao   ;D 

Bill
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:07:31 AM by Dusty »

hooter

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 07:13:28 AM »

I sent him a PM yesterday, I'll have the OEM bearings Monday, but the numbers will help others, especially if they are better and cheaper bearings.

Thanks!

I really should go to work.....roflmao   ;D 

Bill

Why go now? Just go head and take the day off  O0 O0 It'll be more funnnnnnnnn ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dusty

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »

Ok, I'm paranoid now about the trip to Belton.  :-\

I've seen trailer bearings go out and lock up.  :o

I know the steering stem doesn't get that kind of a beating but does anyone know if they could get so bad that the handle bars would lock up or get so hard to turn that it would be dangerous?  :P

Like I said, this just started, I don't have time to fix it before Thursday but I really want to ride. The round trip will probably only be 700 to 800 miles.
The worst case would be they lock up and I crash and burn and possibly hurt someone else.
The next worse case would be that they get so bad that I just have to stop and make arrangements to get the bike and x-trailer back to the house. $$$$
The safest would be to leave the bike and take the old run down pick-up truck to Belton. But then I would be wondering if it was going to quit.
The last and least favorite option is to stay home and work on the steering stem.  >:(

Decisions Decisions  :'( :'( :'(

Tinman

• Old Timer
  • Bridge City
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 04:16:35 PM »

Bill, I am not sure how hard your steering grabs but I can attest that it could freeze up when you are in a turn enough to make you over-compensate. Had this happen to a friend and he was really messed up afterwards for a while. It happened where Twin City Highway splits off at Sunoil to the left. He ended up taking a trip to the Highway Deptartments' rockpile over on the right side of the road.
Just be careful whatever you do, put safety first. I would come to your funeral  ;)

hooter

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 04:34:25 PM »

Where's your balls?  :-\ :-\ :-\ You can do it  O0 You DA MAN.  O0 O0 O0 O0 I can understand slower turns twisting your front end, but higher speeds on the road your doing more leaning than twisting :-\ Is this a WING excuse? :o :o J/K Looking forwards to meeting you whether it be on 2 or 4 wheels O0
AL

Dusty

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 05:08:50 PM »

Bill, I am not sure how hard your steering grabs but I can attest that it could freeze up when you are in a turn enough to make you over-compensate.That's what was happening when I was trying to slow ride. Had this happen to a friend and he was really messed up afterwards for a while. It happened where Twin City Highway splits off at Sunoil to the left. He ended up taking a trip to the Highway Deptartments' rockpile over on the right side of the road. I'll make a point not to ride through there.  :D
Just be careful whatever you do, put safety first. I would come to your funeral  ;) Wear your party clothes! ;D O0

I have talked to several people and steering stem bearings going out is rare on the VTX. The service manager (David) at Lake Charles Honda told me that I was the first he had heard of. One mechanic told me he sees Goldwings on a fairly regular basis for steering bearings but not VTXs. How much does a Goldwing wiegh?
Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna go for it and just try to not slow down.  :D

I'll put the FUN in funeral.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 11:14:24 PM by Dusty »

Dusty

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 05:18:08 PM »

Where's your balls?  :-\ :-\ :-\ You can do it  O0 You DA MAN.  O0 O0 O0 O0 I can understand slower turns twisting your front end, but higher speeds on the road your doing more leaning than twisting :-\ Is this a WING excuse? :o :o J/K Looking forwards to meeting you whether it be on 2 or 4 wheels O0
AL

I found them, they were in my sock.

I'll be coming with a fith wheel, two on the bike, two and a spare on the trailer.  ;D

I'll probably just do more highway riding instead of the back roads.

Looking forward to meeting you too. And I promise not to ask you your name more than 10 times.  :)

Bill

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 07:52:15 PM »

Don't worry Bill, I'm bad with names too! EEERRR, who are you, anyway? Or, as West Nile is pretty prevalent in your area... just use that for an excuse! ;D  EErrr sorry Swamp!
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Tapper

• Jakeleg
  • Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 06:19:27 PM »

I'd be surprised if the bearings were actually bad, but it's not unheard of.  More likely, the stem stack just needs to be adjusted back to spec.  Likewise, when checking the rotation, be sure your hoses and wires aren't hanging up a little - they can fool ya.

If you want me to do it for you, holler.  I have the stem tools.
Yeah, that Tapper.

hooter

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 10:00:26 AM »

I'd be surprised if the bearings were actually bad, but it's not unheard of.  More likely, the stem stack just needs to be adjusted back to spec.  Likewise, when checking the rotation, be sure your hoses and wires aren't hanging up a little - they can fool ya.

If you want me to do it for you, holler.  I have the stem tools.

This is Al. I will get with you before long to check my front end, put some progressive front springs, and adj. my valves at the same time. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get all the ducks in order and call as to let you make an appointment.
Thanks
Hooter

Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal