Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Steering stem bearings  (Read 4352 times)

Dusty

Steering stem bearings
« on: March 14, 2007, 05:56:07 AM »

2003 VTX 1800C

Has anyone had to replace the steering stem bearings? 

I have noticed the last few times I have ridden that when going real slow, like at a light or stop and go traffic, that I have been fighting the steering. At first I thought it was the new Avon being sticky compared to the worn out tire it replaced. But, I never noticed it before with new rubber.
Last night I put the bike on the stand and rotated the handle bars back and forth. About every third rotation I would hit a tight spot and not always at the same point. It wasn't real binding but enough to feel.

Any thoughts? I really don't want to tear into it this close to Sprang Thang.  >:(

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Steering stem bearings
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »

No haven't had that problem yet but have some play in my front end when I apply my front brakes kinda hard. It acts like the bearings are loose or something because you can feel the front forks shift backwards and pop a bit at the top yoke. Have heard or read somewhere about this and will take a look after spring thing cause I don't want to tear it down and not be able to get new bearings for a couple of weeks. I don't think it will be to tuff a job to do, just pull the front end, YUK. >:( Get it down that far might as well put some GL1800 front springs in to stiffen up the suspension some.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 08:23:42 AM »

2003 VTX 1800C

Has anyone had to replace the steering stem bearings? 

I have noticed the last few times I have ridden that when going real slow, like at a light or stop and go traffic, that I have been fighting the steering. At first I thought it was the new Avon being sticky compared to the worn out tire it replaced. But, I never noticed it before with new rubber.
Last night I put the bike on the stand and rotated the handle bars back and forth. About every third rotation I would hit a tight spot and not always at the same point. It wasn't real binding but enough to feel.

Any thoughts? I really don't want to tear into it this close to Sprang Thang.  >:(
  Dusty if you get in contact with Torque on the TexasXRider board he is an expert on the replacing bearing job. He has replaced every bearing ( except in the engine) on his bike because he loves to work on his bike!!  ;D No really he can tell you. Just PM him and he will get back with you, just don't give up on him it might be a day or so before he PMs you back. Great guy and will help you in anyway he can.  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 08:43:30 AM »

Thanks for the input. I went out in the daylight this morning and try to get some wiggle from the front end and everything was tight. I just have a tight spot when turning the handle bars from side to side.
I'm pretty sure it's going to take a special socket to get the steering stem apart. I think hipshot had one, made one or borrowed one when he installed my progressive fork springs.

One thing I have learned in ordering OEM parts. If you are in a hurry, go ahead and pay the local dealer the few bucks more. You get them a lot faster because HDL orders them and then turns around and ships them to you instead of having them shipped direct to you.  >:( I waited two weeks for something one time and the dealer would have had it in two days.

Bill

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:36:11 AM »

Dusty, I'm not sure, but it seems I remember some talk about the bearing replacement to a better bearing during some of the tech sessions PepsX has had. I'd holler at him and see what the "better" bearing to use was.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Dusty

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:43:38 AM »

Dusty, I'm not sure, but it seems I remember some talk about the bearing replacement to a better bearing during some of the tech sessions PepsX has had. I'd holler at him and see what the "better" bearing to use was.

Now that you mention it, I remember some talk about that too but I was thinking it was something on the 1300. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 11:50:19 AM »

There is a bearing company that I got my bearings from instead of HDL.
  Only thing you need is the number off the bearing and can get it. Here is there web site and might have a place of business close to you.

http://www.purvisbearing.com/           Good luck,  Chad
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:56:34 AM by VTXChad »
Member since 2004

Dusty

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »

Just for grins I called the local dealer to see what it would cost to have them replace the bearings.

After 4 minutes on hold I was told somewhere around $300.  :o  The parts from HDL are $50.  ::)
I know what I will be doing some weekend in the not so distant future.  ;D  O0

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »

Oh you didn't ask about a stealer price to replace the bearings, been there and done checked out the $300 price tag. I don't think so  :-\ Thanks for the heads up on where to get the bearings though. O0
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Dusty

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:05:18 PM »

Only thing you need is the number off the bearing and can get it. Here is there web site and might have a place of business close to you.

They are located a whole 2 miles from my office!   O0

Thanks

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 02:34:08 PM »

Were you able to get the number?  I may be replacing my bearings because I looked ay my bike last night and it's sticking in one spot more than others.  I need to loosen the steering nut first, but I think the bearings might be messed up.
Chunk the llama.

Dusty

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »

Were you able to get the number?  I may be replacing my bearings because I looked ay my bike last night and it's sticking in one spot more than others.  I need to loosen the steering nut first, but I think the bearings might be messed up.

Sounds like a tech session in the making to me!  ;D

I have hit some pretty nasty pot holes in the past. I figured it was just a matter of time before somthing showed up.
Then again, it may just need to be loosened and retightened.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 02:53:09 PM »

If you have a "bad spot" the bearing needs to be replaced. If you just have "slop" it might be cured by tightening the nut.
02 1800C

Tinman

• Old Timer
  • Bridge City
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 04:01:17 PM »

I have had my bearings for a while but lack the skils to attempt without some help. Still waiting for a group session to put them in. Don't forget to get the washers and dust rings.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 07:21:09 PM »

They are located a whole 2 miles from my office!   O0

Thanks
When I replaced my rims I replaced the bearing and got the kit from HDL but they didn't have the bearing that went inside the hub ( The spline bearings). Torque told me about Purvis and said just get the numbers off the bearings and they can match them up with some that are probably better than factory. Well called them and had them next day!! Will do business with them again!!  ;D
Member since 2004
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal