Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine guards  (Read 3215 times)

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
Engine guards
« on: March 11, 2007, 07:07:24 PM »

Alright, I'm finally ready to fork out some green to get engine guards for the bike.  I'm looking at the MC Enterprises 1000-5's that run around $150.  I'd like to stay in that range or less.  Any other ideas?  I don't want the kind (Paladin, I think) that slant as it doesn't seem you can add cruise pegs to it.

Thanks in advance!
“You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas”
~ Davy Crockett
2006 VTX 1300R candy black cherry

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
Re: Engine guards
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 07:42:20 PM »

You can add cruise pegs to Paladins...
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 08:45:41 AM »

You can add cruise pegs to Paladins...

Thanks for the heads-up!  Anyone have a 1300R with any particular brand of guards on that can post a pic?
~ Davy Crockett

DAR-Silver Surfer

• Old Timer
  • 1300R - Spring, Tx.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 09:16:41 AM »

Got the MC and really like them.
Now known as - The Silver Surfer

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 10:33:27 AM »

I have Paladins on a 1300S....
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 10:56:52 AM »

This one is at HDL...
NAT-557763
National Cycle Paladin Highway Bars for the VTX 1300C.(P4012)
Our Price: $134.95

I ride a 1300C.....I really like this one and great price too. I think they are all about the same.
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 11:02:50 AM »

I have the 1300R with the MC on it. I like it. I bought mine on Ebay for I believe $100.00 plus freight. I will look the site up tonight and post it. You may do a search. I believe I posted it once. I may be off on the price. I've slept since then.

Doughboy

• Old Timer
  • Webster, TX
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 11:21:54 AM »

Have 06 1300R with Fatty bars with Longhorn Dually pegs. O0

Only thing is you have to buy the 1 1/2" clamps extra, but the bigger bars go well with the "R"

Might want to read this thread:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183034&highlight=
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 11:46:21 AM by Doughboy »
06 1300R  Black Cherry, Fox Creek Saddlebags w/easy brackets & windshield bag, Memphis Windshield, NC Light Bar, 1800C risers, Paladin backrest and rack, Fatty bar with Longhorn Dually pegs.

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »

Ok, looks like I will prolly go with the MC's since they're cheaper.  The only concern I might see is scraping them before the floorboards on tight turns.  Any experience with this happening?  Do the Paladin's come up higher and reduce the "scrape factor" on tight turns?

Thanks again!  :)
~ Davy Crockett

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 05:17:32 PM »

Ok, looks like I will prolly go with the MC's since they're cheaper.  The only concern I might see is scraping them before the floorboards on tight turns.  Any experience with this happening?  Do the Paladin's come up higher and reduce the "scrape factor" on tight turns?

I have Kury pegs and scape them before the engine guards.. Little different from the R floorboards.
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 05:17:47 PM »

I scraped my boards yesterday. I promise you will not scrape the guard before the boards. If you scrape the guard you will already be down and what scraped first will be the least of your worries.

hangman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 04:01:58 PM »

I have the paladins on my 1800 retro and have taken chrome off of both sides in turns.  Keep the tires aired up and know your lean angle and there's really no problem.  The first couple of times I scrapped them the touch was so gentle I had to go back and feel them to confrim it.  I set up a couple of turns worng (always to the left for some reason) and managed to recover the first time.  The second I reacted wrong and payed the price for it.

Still have the Paladins though.  Even if you go down hard they will hold the bike up off of you.   Very strong.

Niterider

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 04:32:45 PM »

I have paladins on an 1800C.  The manufacturer actually publishes drawings indicating that the angle of the guards is such that the foot pegs for the clutch and rear break will scrape well before the engine guard reaches the ground.  I've scrapped the pegs numerous times but have never scrapped the engine guards, however, the 1800C sits higher above the ground than the 1800 retro or 1800 neo.  Furthermore, I don't know what the difference is in ground clearance between an 1800 and a 1300, I can't tell you for sure what kind of clearance you'll have on your bike.  I can tell you that, due to the forward bend in my engine guards, my legs aren't long enough to reach any highway pegs if I were to mount them on my engine guards, but I'm relatively short-legged (trousers are 28" inseam), and the engine guards might also be positioned farther back on a 1300.  If you have ever thought about putting a cover on the engine guards to break the wind (particularly for cold weather riding), that also raises another consideration.  You will need to choose an engine guard that mounts in such a way that parts of your bike such as the horn, reservoir or break pedal assembly don't get in the way of the cover.  On my 1800C, that turned out to be a problem that prevented me from being able to mount such a cover.  Other than that, though, I've been very happy with my engine guards, and they have prevented serious damage when my bike was dropped (which has happened once or twice more than I'd like to admit).

Mike
White '08 GL1800 with ABS, Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Black '03 1800C;  retro bars, RIVCO risers, BBP lightbar, mustang seat, Paladin backrest/luggage rack, etc.
White '06 GL1800 with Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 09:57:22 AM »

Well I ended up buying the MC's from HDL, hopefully they'll be here today!  Price won out, though I looked at reviews all over the place and took it all in consideration.  Also bought some reflector grilles and a Signal Dynamics 'BackOff' box for the tail light.

Waiting for Christmas in March!  :)
~ Davy Crockett

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 10:27:02 AM »

Glad you got what you needed.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal