Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golden Traingle Tech Session?  (Read 897 times)

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
Golden Traingle Tech Session?
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:11:20 PM »

I need to check/adjust the valves.  Previously, I have had this "done" by a stealer.  Having no experience with this issue, I am looking for help.  I am sure there are others who need some help on a few things as well.  Anyone care to teach the skill of the valve adjustment?
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

BlueRetro

• Tejano
  • Nolanville, TX
Re: Golden Traingle Tech Session?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 06:27:02 AM »

I myself have not had any experience in doing this myself yet either.  ??? Planning on doing next time.  You might check out     vtx1300tips.htm   (if you're running a 1300 that is) they have a couple posts on valve adjustment.     (type the above in your web bar)

Anyone got some personal tips from experience?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 06:36:21 AM by BlueRetro »
'06  1300R

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 07:02:14 AM »

I understand the process and have gone into mine several times. I just learned that I wasn't getting the feeler gage perpendicular to the adjusting screw. My fingers are so fat and stiff (wouldn't fit) that I was sliding the gage in at an angle thus giving the feel of being tight but in reality the gap was still to wide.

Tie a string on your 4mm wrench so if you drop it you can fish it out. It would also help to have an 8mm (I think) that is slightly bent so it can get down in the hole and still fit the lock nut tightly.

I don't mind coming to help, but someone else would have to actually work the feeler gage.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 08:01:08 AM »

The lock nut is a 10mm. On most of them a 1/4" drive deep well socket is easier to use than a wrench, at least for me.
02 1800C

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal