Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forward controls  (Read 1814 times)

Dusty

Forward controls
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:34:34 AM »

I have finally come to the conclusion that the only way I'm going to be comfortable on long rides is to get my legs out in front instead of in the stock position. I have tried pegs on my engine guard and that helps but I am constantly having to move back to the pegs in order to get to the controls. I really hate to give up my engine guards because they have proven thier worth on more than one occasion. But it may come to that.

I just looked at HDL and dang near had a stroke when I saw the prices.  :o

What brand of forward controls are you using?

Bill

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
Re: Forward controls
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:53:08 PM »

Hey Bill~

Are you looking for forward controls or just the bracket to move your existing controls forward?  There's a big difference in price.  I am thinking about these.

http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PID=ZZ53559&cs=All

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 06:22:56 PM »

I believe you can get the LRExtreme forwards for around $200; if memory serves they move the controls forward 3" and up 1" or 1 1/2". I've got them on mine if you want to see how they feel.
02 1800C

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »

I could live with just moving my stock controls forward. I have been studying on it all day as I rode around at Rayburn. Jim, I'll try to remember to check yours out the next time I see ya.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 09:11:56 PM »

I'm looking for some too and Muffmaster had some brackets that moved you pegs out 2" and up 1 1/4" up and they felt good and had only given something like 80 bucks for the brackets. HDL has a set of Kuryakyn for $79.95 that move them out 2" only. I like that because I have the Kuryakyn hiway brackets and pegs and love the location as far as hieght goes, but a couple of inches forward and not any up would be great. O0
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/vtx/product.asp?pid=5623&ID=889574124
I think this is the way I'm going
Al
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Dusty

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 05:50:02 AM »

I'm looking for some too and Muffmaster had some brackets that moved you pegs out 2" and up 1 1/4" up and they felt good and had only given something like 80 bucks for the brackets. HDL has a set of Kuryakyn for $79.95 that move them out 2" only. I like that because I have the Kuryakyn hiway brackets and pegs and love the location as far as hieght goes, but a couple of inches forward and not any up would be great. O0
Al

I'm thinking I want more than two inches. I'm gonna put the bike up on the stand, sit on it, and do some contemplating.  I wish they showed what all comes in the kit. Seems to me that there would be some different linkage for the clutch and hoses needed for the brake. I may try to see just how crappy I can get.  :)

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 05:58:59 AM »

Al

I'm thinking I want more than two inches. I'm gonna put the bike up on the stand, sit on it, and do some contemplating.  I wish they showed what all comes in the kit. Seems to me that there would be some different linkage for the clutch and hoses needed for the brake. I may try to see just how crappy I can get.  :)

The JP's say they move you 3 inches.   O0

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 06:43:54 AM »

Just some thoughts here for what it's worth. Moving the pegs forward two or three inches may make a bigger difference than you might think. Riding straight-legged for long periods can be uncomfortable for some; Bill is at least trying to see what he really wants for peg positions. A two or three inch difference may feel like a lot more than that once they are installed.

Many of us run Kuryakyn pegs, and a lot of their pegs don't have feelers on the bottoms. I hate scraping the chrome off of mine; I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Raising the pegs an inch makes a significant difference in the lean angles before the pegs drag. With the LR plates I seldom drag my pegs. If that matters to you, it's a factor to consider.
02 1800C

crazyredneck

• Rider
    • Amsoil Dealer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 04:55:22 AM »

I bought a set of brackets from Big Joe at Kewlmetal.  They do the same thing as the L&R but the plates have highway mounts integrated into them.... They are totally sweet, also installed those Kewlmetal driving lights that cost $599 and it really finished the package off.  Ill  get a picture.
03 1800C

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 04:57:55 PM »

Al

Boy if I could count the number of times I've heard that. :'(
Displaced Texan.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal