Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have a problem.....  (Read 2527 times)

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
I have a problem.....
« on: February 26, 2007, 12:14:02 AM »

Tonight on the way home I came to a hard stop and my oil light came on and than went off.  So at the next light I did a hard stop again to see if it would come on again and it did.  When I got home I checked my oil and it is fine.  I only have a little over 6k miles on the oil and it is Amsoil.

Has anyone had this problem? 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 12:15:48 AM by TAZ »
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Re: I have a problem.....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:22:44 AM »

oil pressure sensor?  Possibly.  My GT cruiser was doing that a week ago.  I changed the sensor and it's working again.

*Closet Darksider*

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:43:38 AM »

I told you not to put that Kawasaki air in your tires. See what happens?
02 1800C

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:06:19 AM »

used to happen on the FZ1 when the oil was barely not full. top it off a bit and see if that fixes it. it's probably a sensor, though.

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 09:39:35 AM »

The oil is just a touch past full. So thats not the problem.  I hope it is just a sensor. :-\
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.

vtxcrzr

• Old Timer
  • New Braunfels, TX Black 1800C
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 02:25:28 PM »

Check your idle speed.  Sometimes if the idle is too low the oil pump can not achieve the proper oil pressure and the light comes on.  Then as soon as engine speed picks up the oil light will go off.  If you are right on the edge of low oil pressure then it can be a "sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesn't" situation. 

Some folks lower their idle speed to get that loping engine effect.

Also its not unusual for your RPMs to dip a little on a hard stop.  Do a few more practice hard stops and listen closely to your engine and watch your oil pressure light at the same time. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:29:27 PM by vtxcrzr »

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 05:58:25 PM »

Check your idle speed.  Sometimes if the idle is too low the oil pump can not achieve the proper oil pressure and the light comes on.  Then as soon as engine speed picks up the oil light will go off.  If you are right on the edge of low oil pressure then it can be a "sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesn't" situation. 

Some folks lower their idle speed to get that loping engine effect.

Also its not unusual for your RPMs to dip a little on a hard stop.  Do a few more practice hard stops and listen closely to your engine and watch your oil pressure light at the same time. 

My idle speed is on the high side but I will try and listen to the engine next time.
Thanks
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 07:44:55 PM »

Taz, sounds like, given that the oil is up, idle is high... and it doesn't prove to be a faulty sensor.. you may have a bare spot on the sensor wire that slides fwd and grounds out and lights the light. You could try pulling fwd on the sensor wire and see if that sets it off or Swap sensors with someone else, if you still get the same thing, that would be my best guess. If you have a different result, I would suspect maybe something in the case sliding up and blocking(partially at least) the oil filter/pickup. Hopefully it will prove to be something simpler. Good luck.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 09:34:49 PM »

Taz, sounds like, given that the oil is up, idle is high... and it doesn't prove to be a faulty sensor.. you may have a bare spot on the sensor wire that slides fwd and grounds out and lights the light. You could try pulling fwd on the sensor wire and see if that sets it off or Swap sensors with someone else, if you still get the same thing, that would be my best guess. If you have a different result, I would suspect maybe something in the case sliding up and blocking(partially at least) the oil filter/pickup. Hopefully it will prove to be something simpler. Good luck.

Snake,

You don't get out much do you?

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:48:17 PM »

HG, I'm out there all the time! ;D
Taz, now that I'm thinking about it, you haven't recently put one of those magnet balls in your oil filter, have you? It could be running forward and partially blocking the filter.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »

Taz, now that I'm thinking about it, you haven't recently put one of those magnet balls in your oil filter, have you? It could be running forward and partially blocking the filter.

Just kidding man. It takes a lot of thought to come up with some of the solutions I've seen you post on this board. Thanks!

Boogie

• Master Tejano Rider
  • GULF OF MEXICO
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 12:37:54 PM »

This is just a thought but, the oil light only comes on when you are braking hard so,  While breaking hard, the energy created while breaking will force the oil to the front of the engine. With this in mind, I don't know where the sensor is located but if it is on the rear of the block it would cause a false Low level alarm or if it is on the front it would cause a false Hi level alarm. Both of which will clear when the bike comes to a stop.
Under normal riding condition's there is no oil light.

I will try this on my bike to see if I can bring the oil light on by braking hard. I really don't think it does, so if I were you I would probably change out the sensor.

I just have to therorize a problem when faced with one.  ???

Native Texan, I ride a steel horse

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 10:31:10 PM »

Thanks Snake! O0
No ball in the filter.  I have been trying to make it do it.  And it only comes on when the bike is hot.  When I try to make it do it when the bike is warm it doesn't do it.  I ride 30 miles on the freeway to work and it is when I get off the freeway when it is hot from high speeds that it does it.  I may go ahead and try to change the oil and see if that helps.
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 10:31:49 PM »

This is just a thought but, the oil light only comes on when you are braking hard so,  While breaking hard, the energy created while breaking will force the oil to the front of the engine. With this in mind, I don't know where the sensor is located but if it is on the rear of the block it would cause a false Low level alarm or if it is on the front it would cause a false Hi level alarm. Both of which will clear when the bike comes to a stop.
Under normal riding condition's there is no oil light.

I will try this on my bike to see if I can bring the oil light on by braking hard. I really don't think it does, so if I were you I would probably change out the sensor.

I just have to therorize a problem when faced with one.  ???

Thanks Boggie! O0
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 07:03:28 AM »

very strange, hope you figure it out.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal