Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some input!  (Read 1627 times)

txvtxrider

Need some input!
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »

I know diddly squat about bikes and need some help as to what I am suppose to do as far as oil changes, maintenance, etc.  I bought the bike used and the guy I bought it from had the bike serviced before I bought it.  It's got close to 6000 miles on it with almost 3000 put on it by me...what do I need to do and how often, etc.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Need some input!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:25:55 AM »

David - this is a good place to start.
http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
It will open on the oil change section but on the left side of the page there is more things to see and read.
Most important is maintenance and your tire pressure. This should be checked every couple of days, they do leak down. Check your oil level everytime you go out to ride and read this artical on oil changes to help you check it correctly. If you fly a plane or have been around someone that flies then you know that you will preflight check your machine before you take her out, well with your scoot it's kinda the samething. Look at your fluid levels, brakes, lights, etc. before you ride. It's a good habit to walk around your bike and look at these things, if something doesn't look right, then it's probably not. Look for excessive grease leakage around wheel bearing areas, oil leaks, loose bolts or nuts, etc. Weird sounds ain't cool either while your riding :-\. Stop and check it out, If your with a group, don't worry, they'll understand and stop too. I don't know how much riding experience or miles you've got under your Cranberries, but I'm hopefully fixing to start year 49 on two wheels and have many good memories (some not so good) and when your out riding just remember it's just you and her, if something breaks or locks up, she won't the feel pain. Preventive maintenance is, as if not more important than your scheduled oil changes and such. Keep her tight and she'll be alright.
Ok I'm off my soap box  ;D ;D
Al
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »

I know diddly squat about bikes and need some help as to what I am suppose to do as far as oil changes, maintenance, etc.  I bought the bike used and the guy I bought it from had the bike serviced before I bought it.  It's got close to 6000 miles on it with almost 3000 put on it by me...what do I need to do and how often, etc.

You're overdue!

txvtxrider

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 12:13:13 PM »

What am I overdue on?  Oil change?  Getting the bike serviced?  Need help...how many miles should I go before getting an oil change, service, etc.  What kind of oil?  Told ya, I'm stupid with this stuff!

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:20:56 PM »

Not knowing what the previous owner had done if it was me I would have the bike serviced (or do it myself) consisting of adjust valves, change oil, adjust all linkage and just an overall check-up. I use Mobile 1. Be sure and get oil made for scooters though. The kind made for cars is not the right kind to use on the VTX. Mobile 1 also comes in a air cooled and a liquid cooled type be sure and get the liquid cooled type. Some Wal-marts carry the mobile 1 for scooters. If yours does not Oreily's and Autozone carries it. The stealer charges about 2x's as much for mobile 1.

Where do you live anyway?

Nevermind I see Scurry. Not far from me about 50 miles maybe.

txvtxrider

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:25:28 PM »

yeah not far at all...the owner had the bike serviced at 3800 miles which was the mileage I bought the bike at...I was going to take it to a bike shop to get the oil changed bc I do that with my vehicles also...not a mechanic by any means so I just have someone else do it for me...what should I do as far as mileage wise for oil changes and getting the bike serviced!  It's a 2005 1300 C

brentos

• Old Timer
  • Austin, Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 04:44:42 PM »

Check out the owner's manual - it should be in the toolbox area. There is a schedule of maintenance based on the # of miles on the bike. If you trust that the previous owner followed this schedule (if he had a service plan with it - then he probably did) then just continue to follow that schedule.
Brent Johnston - '05 1300S beetle bags, switchblade 2-up, Corbin dual tour, Roadhouse slip-ons, Fatty Beach Bars, etc.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »

That's great advice. I would reccomend changing between 2500-3000 miles and use synthetic Mobile 1. There are alot of oils you can use they are all good oils if you buy the type for scooters. There has been some heated ... lets say discussions on this and the big board about different types and which is best. Just use common sense.

Changing the oil yourself is easy. I would be glad to help you if you make it to Rowlett sometimes.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 11:39:34 PM »

Check out the owner's manual - it should be in the toolbox area. There is a schedule of maintenance based on the # of miles on the bike. If you trust that the previous owner followed this schedule (if he had a service plan with it - then he probably did) then just continue to follow that schedule.

In case you havn't found the tool box, its behind the plastic cover on your right side as your sitting on the bike.  This leads under the seat.  Ironiclly the directions to find the owners manuel is in the book itself :D. What were they thinking????

*Closet Darksider*

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 07:31:40 AM »

best thing to do is get a service manual. they come in book form or CD. you will learn tons by just thumbing through it.
it also has a maint. schedule that tell you want is needed at what time.
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 01:39:13 PM »

I have a download of the service manual. There is a link on the big board. It is almost 300MB big. If you have dialup don't bother. If you make it to Rowlett sometimes I can burn you a CD.

txvtxrider

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »

I may try to make it to Rowlett sometime this next week...if that sounds alright to you...still would rather take it in somewhere to get the oil changed, etc...I just hate that kind of stuff!

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »

NO problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal