Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dyno Tuning  (Read 6687 times)

Dusty

Re: Dyno Tuning
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 08:44:30 PM »

Got my bike dynoed today.

I have an average of 97.5 HP and a Max of 107 HP. The torque was an average of 115.1 lb.-ft. and a max of 125.5. That's a gain of about 4 or 5 pounds of torque and a gain of about 8 HP.  The best part is I should get a lot better gas milage. The map I had downloaded from the net, even though it matched my mods, was way to rich. My average air to fuel ratio is now 13/2. I went in there with around 11/2. The lower the number the richer the mix. The bike runs better and has a quiker response.

I had it done at Third Coast Speed in Lake Charles. (337-491-8933) The guy (Mike) was great. He lets you stand right there and explains the whole process to you and how the numbers work and what the goal is. He charged me $218 including tax. I highly recommend him if you are looking for a Dyno.

Thanks to TxCajun for telling me about him and for riding over with me.  Good Ride! O0

Oh yeah, there are parts of I-10 in La. that absolutely SUCK. I'm talking about holes you could loose a VW in. The good part is they are rebuilding it.

Bill

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 10:04:57 PM »

Bill was not joking about the roads in Louisiana. If anyone is planning on riding IH-10 please be careful,and hold on tight. Also I wouldn't suggest trying to travel at any speeds over 115mph, it just started getting way to rough. :o ;D   Until next time Bill  O0 take it easy...
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

TorqueMonstr

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 12:39:05 PM »

I removed both the snorkel & the vacume operated flapper valve on the back of the airbox to increase air flow.  Do the aftermarket airboxes really offer that much of an increase in power

Dusty

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 04:02:48 PM »

I removed both the snorkel & the vacume operated flapper valve on the back of the airbox to increase air flow.  Do the aftermarket airboxes really offer that much of an increase in power

I can't say if they do or not because I have what you have, but it stands to reason that the after market airboxes allow air to be forced in where as what we have still has to suck the air in. My biggest concern with the after market air boxes is the possibility of rain getting pushed into them.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:04:20 PM by Dusty »

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 05:01:41 PM »

Oh yeah, there are parts of I-10 in La. that absolutely SUCK. I'm talking about holes you could loose a VW in. The good part is they are rebuilding it.

Bill
Those are good numbers Bill.

I found a guy up here that does them for $200.  He's in McKinney and his shop is called Metric Tech.  I am planning on taking mine to him in the next couple of weeks.  I am anxious to see what the X is actually doing as far as A/F ratio. 

And that's pretty funny about LA. rebuilding I-10.   ;D  They've been rebuilding it for 20 years now.  I guess the same goes for I-635 up here....  Hit a rut, hit a wall mentality here.   >:(

Dusty

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 07:21:19 PM »

Bill
Those are good numbers Bill.

I found a guy up here that does them for $200.  He's in McKinney and his shop is called Metric Tech.  I am planning on taking mine to him in the next couple of weeks.  I am anxious to see what the X is actually doing as far as A/F ratio. 

And that's pretty funny about LA. rebuilding I-10.   ;D  They've been rebuilding it for 20 years now.  I guess the same goes for I-635 up here....  Hit a rut, hit a wall mentality here.   >:(

I hope you you have as good of an experience as I had. There is a lot more to it than I would have thought.
I ask the question about the temperature. I had heard that it is best for the temp to be 70 or a little above. It was close to that in his shop but he said more important than the temp is the barometric pressure. We had a cool front blowing in yesterday and the presure had dropped to 29 point something. Mike said that wasn't such a good thing for a dyno. I never knew there was such a science to it.
 By the way, he also said that most maps that he sees that have been downloaded off the web are loaded with too much fuel. That was the case with mine. It couldn't run good because it was drowning in fuel. Let us know what you run.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 09:58:21 AM »

What do you have in the way of fuel managment Dusty? Those are great numbers!
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Dusty

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »

John,

I bought the Dynojet PCIIIUSB. I've had it on for a year with a map from Bares site on it.
I knew it was rich, but I didn't know it was that rich.
If you havn't already, check the garage page for the thread Fuel Presure Regulator post I put up. That could be a problem that one would never find if they didn't know to look for it.

Bill

Dusty

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 06:10:58 PM »

Bill, Keep those numbers handy.  I just returned from a shop in San Antonio that is going to Dyno my Wing before and after the mufflers are changed out.  I want to see how close the Wing numbers are to your numbers just for fun. ;)

No problem Jerry. I will try to get the printout scanned and loaded tomorrow and see if I can post it. I didn't get a graph but the numbers are there. While you are there, take notice of what type of dyno they use, Dynojet or Superflow or whatever. Make sure they no you want a print out of before and after. I didn't get a before, I just remember looking at it when he first started because he kept commenting on why he didn't understand why so many maps were pouring so much fuel into the mix. Now that I understand a little more about all this, it really interesting.

Take Care Jerry!

Bill

TorqueMonstr

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 05:40:40 PM »

Dusty,
     What pipes, with what baffles are you running; & what kind of mileage are you getting ??   I'm presently getting about 30, & everyone tells me that's about the best I can expect !!!!!
                                                                                    Jack

Dusty

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 06:51:04 PM »

Dusty,
     What pipes, with what baffles are you running; & what kind of mileage are you getting ??   I'm presently getting about 30, & everyone tells me that's about the best I can expect !!!!!
                                                                                    Jack

I'm going to do about 300 miles tomorrow and I will try to remember to keep track of my milage. I have Vance & Hines big shots with the quiet baffles, but to be honest I bet the wrapping burned off many miles ago. Everyones riding style is different so thier gas consumption is too. I have a habit of getting on it when I take off and that burns the gas fast, I also cruise at 70-90 depending on the conditions. More 80 than 70. I use to get about 33 when the bike was stock. I really didn't keep a check on the milage I was getting before the dyno, I just knew my light was coming on way to soon for the rideing I was doing and the exhaust smelled really rich. Some have said they get 40 and 45 mpg on an 1800. I don't think my riding style would allow that kind of milage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 06:53:11 PM by Dusty »

Dusty

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 05:31:12 PM »

Ok, 331 miles to Bullard and back and I averaged 31.98 mpg. That doesn't sound to great until you add in the windshield, lowers, engine guard chaps and my 300 lb. butt. When I take the chaps off I'm thinking I should get close to 34 mpg. Now I wish I would have checked it before the dyno. Although before the dyno my idiot light was coming on at around 90 miles. Today it wasn't coming on until 101-103.

Ride Safe!

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 09:15:30 PM »

Dusty,
                                                                                    Jack

I'm going to do about 300 miles tomorrow and I will try to remember to keep track of my milage. I have Vance & Hines big shots with the quiet baffles, but to be honest I bet the wrapping burned off many miles ago. Everyones riding style is different so thier gas consumption is too. I have a habit of getting on it when I take off and that burns the gas fast, I also cruise at 70-90 depending on the conditions. More 80 than 70. I use to get about 33 when the bike was stock. I really didn't keep a check on the milage I was getting before the dyno, I just knew my light was coming on way to soon for the rideing I was doing and the exhaust smelled really rich. Some have said they get 40 and 45 mpg on an 1800. I don't think my riding style would allow that kind of milage.

I am with ya, Bill....  The BEST I have ever gotten has been about 33-34 miles per gallon. 

TorqueMonstr

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 12:56:54 PM »

Brad
  Do you feel the aftermarket intake has gain you anything other than looks ??What mods does the group recommend to improve the performance & rideability of the 1800 ???

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 03:24:43 PM »

Brad
  Do you feel the aftermarket intake has gain you anything other than looks ??What mods does the group recommend to improve the performance & rideability of the 1800 ???

Most people would agree from a performance point of view that V&H Bigshots are going to give you the greatest gains over the other exhaust options.  As far as air intake...  I have always heard the Thunder Hurricane gives the best performance increase with the Tornado a very close second.  However, I heard this past week from a Dynjet guy that he see better performance gains out of the Barrons Air kit.  I asked him why and he said the Hurricane and Tornado are "harder" to build a custom map for because of their RAM air effect.  I don't totally buy into this because one would have to be moving at a pretty good scoot for RAM air to even be a benefit.  It's gotta be over 100mph at least.  He is a Big Yamaha fan and I know most of those guys go with the BAK teardrop over the Thunder Brand so that may be his bias. 

I figure with all the upgrades you are looking at a 10-15% increase on HP at best before you brake into the engine or get into the stratosphere dollar wise buying a dual sided air intake or Proton-4. 

Upgrades to consider.

1. New Exhaust.  Bigshots are supposed to be the best as far as performance.  Sound is relative though so keep that in mind.

2. K&N air filter.  I know that I am getting more air intake with the Tornado than with the regular K&N filter   replacement.

3. Pair valve removal/Block off plates/De-smog.  Helps on 90-95% of decel backfire/popping.  No noticeable performance increase that I am aware of though.

4. Power Commander III-  If you are interested in Air/Fuel ratio (which is equally as important as HP IMO) then this unit will allow you to add and subtract fuel in all areas of the rev range.  For example, more gas 0-80mph for faster get up and go and less gas in the 55-80mph cruise range for better gas mileage.  Not all bikes may need a PCIII and it is strictly personal choice.  I have one and love mine.   ;D

Hope that helps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal