Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ahhhh throttle cable help  (Read 848 times)

brentos

• Old Timer
  • Austin, Texas
Ahhhh throttle cable help
« on: February 02, 2007, 08:03:36 PM »

Installed SS clutch, throttle push, and pull cables. No problems with the clutch although I did have to bend the 'brace' so the cable did not rub. No problem with the pull.

throttle push PROBLEM:
 The nut on the end that connects to the brace just above where it connects to the carb 'wheel' is too long (it almost touches the 'wheel' but not at a good angle and is about 2x the length of the stock bolt). The inner cable hangs up on the outer cable until it is pushed through and has caused a kink. If there were two adjustment nuts (like on the pull cable) I could adjust the bolt high enough that it would work smoothly but you can't add a nut because the end that connects to the carb is too big.

Ahhhhhhhh.
I have a call into Barnett - will probably have to ask them to send me another with a smaller bolt.

Any other suggestions?

I am going to leave the the push cable off until they can get me a new one since it works fine without it. The push cable is only there incase the spring that closes the throttle breaks right?

Thanks
Brent Johnston - '05 1300S beetle bags, switchblade 2-up, Corbin dual tour, Roadhouse slip-ons, Fatty Beach Bars, etc.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
Re: Ahhhh throttle cable help
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:01:38 AM »

Brentos, just get a nut that would fit IF you could get it over the end (right threads), then cut a slot in it at a / angle, clean the threads on the nut using a bolt with the same threads, slip the cable through the slot and screw the nut up to where you need it. Another way would be to grind out the threads on opposite sides of the inside of the threads enough to let the "head" through, maybe the side threads would be strong enough to let it grip as needed. Does the "head" on the end of the cable need to be that big? if not, you could grind it down some, maybe enough to slip through. prolly not though.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

brentos

• Old Timer
  • Austin, Texas
Re: Ahhhh throttle cable help
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 03:39:07 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if cutting a slot in the nut would work. Can't hurt to try that one.
I hope to hear back from Barnett today. They should really just replace it because of the kink caused by the bolt being the wrong size.

I am running it without the push cable for now and it works fine.

Thanks, Brent
Brent Johnston - '05 1300S beetle bags, switchblade 2-up, Corbin dual tour, Roadhouse slip-ons, Fatty Beach Bars, etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal