Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello from the Frozen North  (Read 3204 times)

VTXfromtheNorth

Hello from the Frozen North
« on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:17 PM »

I want to say HI to all fellow X riders in Texas from the Midwest and ask a favor. I have some extended family in North Texas and I am looking to surprise them in April. Myself and another fellow X'er are going to trailer our X's out of the sloppy foggy spring weather up here in MN. and surprise some family by showin up to say HI unannounced while getting a long overdue ride.
I am just wondering a few things, 1. Weather, what is the weather like that time of the year. Temp. rain, dry???? And what are some must ride routes around Amarillo?  :D
We will be starting in Oklahoma, heading to Amarillo (via old route 66, or at least what is left) then down around Wichita Falls for a day or so, we will not have had any miles on since October so we aren't looking for any high miler trips, but some scenic drives or attractions along the route.
Any help or info. you could provide would be very much appreciated.  O0

BTW.....04 1800 Spec 2, Candy Orange w/Flames, Memphis fats, Kury pegs & grips, VTXhaust and Cobra backrest.

TexPops

• Old Timer
  • Azle (Eagle Mountain Lake) n.w. of Ft.Worth
Re: Hello from the Frozen North
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »

Wow, you don't want much do ya? ;D ;D Trying to guess Amarillo weather in April is like trying to tell a woman bra size by looking at her feet. It'll probably be somewhere between 20 and 100, between tornados and calm, between a sand storm or a flood. That place has the weirdest weather in Texas. I think it's because there's nothing between Amarillo and Canada except a barbwire fence.

There's some good scenery of cotton fields, but not in April because they just planted. If you're lucky the mesquite trees will be green. Go out west of town and see the buried cadillacs and see if you can eat a 5lb steak.

As you hopefully can tell, most of this is tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, if all of our state that you're going to see is Amarillo and Wichita Falls, please don't tell your friends that Texas sucks.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 11:25:56 PM »

where in 'sota?  ???
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

justin69

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "NO PAIN, NO STAIN!!!" Ft. worth
    • http://myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 11:35:15 PM »

As you hopefully can tell, most of this is tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, if all of our state that you're going to see is Amarillo and Wichita Falls, please don't tell your friends that Texas sucks.
[/quote]

I AGREE WITH YOU POPS ;) IF YOU WANNA SEE SOMETHING GOOD, HEAD OUT TOWARDS EAST TEXAS, ESPECIALLY OVER IN NACHADOCHES.

HERE ARE SOME PICS FROM NACADOCHES. ALL TAKEN FROM THE PASSENGER SEAT O0

THE FURTHER EAST YOU GO, THE MORE GREEN AND BEAUTIFUL IT GETS 8)

OCIFFER, I SweAr To DRunK I'M NoT GoD!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/jbeachbum_xrider

Muffmaster

• Old Timer
  • Selective Honesty is Not Lying
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 07:50:28 AM »

Wow, you don't want much do ya? ;D ;D Trying to guess Amarillo weather in April is like trying to tell a woman bra size by looking at her feet. It'll probably be somewhere between 20 and 100, between tornados and calm, between a sand storm or a flood. That place has the weirdest weather in Texas. I think it's because there's nothing between Amarillo and Canada except a barbwire fence.

There's some good scenery of cotton fields, but not in April because they just planted. If you're lucky the mesquite trees will be green. Go out west of town and see the buried cadillacs and see if you can eat a 5lb steak.

Hell Pops, you should write a book! That was very colorful not to mention dead on!

Muff

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »

Like TexPops said is very true of the weather during that time for sure!! All I can say I is GOOD LUCK!!  :)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

jwoolf

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 03:47:55 PM »

This may help a little:

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=36327&refer=

Welcome to our board by the way!  Hope you like your stay in our state.  Most of the guys that commented here are from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area so, most of us are going to be just east of you when you're down.

TexPops

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »

This is NOT Amarillo but looks just like it, only when your in Amarillo, those mountains are 300 miles away :o :o

VTXfromtheNorth

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like we will have to watch weather and plan accordingly. I will have to take a look at the map again and see what other routes we could make in 3-4days.
Texpops, you do have a way with words! ;D Thanks for the info.& picture!
Justin69, That looks like a great ride, not much different than my location in the spring.
jwolf, Thanks for the link, it looks like Amarillo weather can be a unpredictable as Texpops described!

I will be hanging around the board, checking in from time to time, Thanks for the welcome and the information! I appreciate it a lot! O0

Dusty

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 08:31:15 AM »

Welcome to the board!

Like they said the riding in that area is pretty boring. But you may want to check out Palo Duro Canyon.

http://www.palodurocanyon.com/     It is refered to as the Little Grand Canyon. They put on a show there in the park that I have been told is very interesting. I didn't attend it but wish I would have.

I camped there on the way to Colorado but never got to see the whole place because of flash floods a couple of hours before I got there. Don't try to cross the low water crossings until they are cleaned and dry. That is some slick red clay. Don't ask me how I know.  :'(

This site may offer up some info of interest also. http://www.panhandlenation.com/panhandl5.htm

I did some reading myself and think I may want to go back and tske a jeep tour.

http://www.theelkinsranch.com/Movie1.html

But like they said, if you are looking for good riding road, head to Central or East Texas.

Enjoy your trip!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 09:38:51 AM by Dusty »

icemanhail

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 02:46:10 PM »

I grew up in Lubbock....I know, don't feel sorry for me...anyway, TEXPOPS is right, the weather is unpredictable, especially in Amarillo.  It's always 20 degrees colder in Amarillo than it is in Lubbock, anytime of the year.  The weather should be so-so but Wichita Falls is still north right on the Red River and it stays cold there until the end of May.

As far as the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I haven't stop riding except when it snowed or got icy.  Been on my bike every night this week.  Have a safe ride and enjoy your visit to Texas.

-Iceman

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 11:15:34 PM »

Hello, I live here, in Amarillo, Those who have gone through on I 40 like the truckers see the cadie ranch and a lot of flat land, The horizon from there is not what it is. How many know about the floating mountain. Or the one that looks like a saddle. Or the endless strange signs around town. Not far from my house we have a very large statue of a pair of feet on I 27 recently painted with a pair of socks. I came home from Hawaii to live here again due to family, and its the perfect place to live. I'm happy to go any direction from here. The view improves within 25 miles  in every direction unless you stay on I40 or go south on I 27 to Lubbock. I have a sign not far from my house that says (Lubbock is like sour cream in a tin spoon.). There is something that caused our local excentric person to not like Lubbock. I don't have a clue. If ya want a huge steak that ya can eat, its at the Lone Star Bar and grill. not the Big Texan. Can you say tourist trap. The Canyon is cool for about a hour. I wont argue about the weather, who knows,We get it all.     

TexPops

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 09:36:35 AM »

Hello, I live here, in Amarillo, Those who have gone through on I 40 like the truckers see the cadie ranch and a lot of flat land, The horizon from there is not what it is. How many know about the floating mountain. Or the one that looks like a saddle. Or the endless strange signs around town. Not far from my house we have a very large statue of a pair of feet on I 27 recently painted with a pair of socks. I came home from Hawaii to live here again due to family, and its the perfect place to live. I'm happy to go any direction from here. The view improves within 25 miles  in every direction unless you stay on I40 or go south on I 27 to Lubbock. I have a sign not far from my house that says (Lubbock is like sour cream in a tin spoon.). There is something that caused our local excentric person to not like Lubbock. I don't have a clue. If ya want a huge steak that ya can eat, its at the Lone Star Bar and grill. not the Big Texan. Can you say tourist trap. The Canyon is cool for about a hour. I wont argue about the weather, who knows,We get it all.     

Sorry, Tom Cat, Been to Hawaii--Been to Amarillo--you must just be a glutton for punishment!!! ;D ;D Don't blame ya for defending your home, but I bet the guy from up north is not gonna be real thrilled with a pair of feet :D :D (Have seen those too) They look about like the ones I can't reach any more ;D ;D

VTXfromtheNorth

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 06:49:58 PM »

It appears that our plans are slowly changing for the Texas trip. I just got invited to join a group from where I work that are going to Bike Week in Myrtle Beach SC.  O0 Although not out of the question, it is looking like SC will win over Texas or this spring. For now anyway, still would like to get down there and see the family I have in that area. Maybe later this year, October/November would be a good time to get outta here, once the MN season is over.
TomCat - Thanks for the plug for Amarillo, I was begining to think that no one in Texas liked the town!! :o I just thought it would be interesting to see the canyon and the caddies. That steak sounds good too!

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 12:55:39 PM »

I never said I liked the town. Its just that I grew up here and when I go places with mountains or trees I feel hemmed in. I can deal with it, and even enjoy those places, but in the back of this West Texas mind I'm always wondering what the place would look like without all those damn trees cluttering up the scenery.Here if you stay on the super slabs there isn't much to see. They are where they are for a reason. The two lane roads often have some gullies and hills and such with a few trees in the gullies. With in 200 miles of Amarillo there isn't a great deal to see other than more of the same. I've pretty much seen it all. The good thing is you can ride 30 to 50 miles before coming to what I call a AppleSauce splat town. By the time I go far enough east to see trees of any note I have to give up on small roads due to the AppleSauce splats being 5 miles apart or less.  Ya can ride all day and get nowhere, Thats fine when just out for a ride. I find a 4 lane ride in any state to be pretty much the same. Here the distance between point a and point b is much more. That bothers some people, not me. I wish the X had more fuel because I often end up riding at night and around here the small towns roll up the sidewalk after dark. I will give some thought to roads to take when passing through the panhandle from any direction, It need not be that boring, as what the 4 lanes offer, and the 2 lane roads are almost as fast. I have never thought about how people passing through here think of this place. Not being a member of the chamber of commerce I never cared. Until now. I have bros passing through here bored to death thinking that a few junk cars buried in a wheat field is all there is around here. I will start another thread on things to do, in or passing through Amarillo. 
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal