Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ok what's the worst weather condition you have ever ridden in ?  (Read 2253 times)

WILD E

• Old Timer
Ok what's the worst weather condition you have ever ridden in ?
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:36:16 AM »

Personally for me is a  toss up from when I was 16 years old and I would take my motorcycle duck hunting in El Campo TX , Decoy bag  on the handle bars ,hunting buddy  holding guns (disassembled in a burlap sack on the back) 30 degree with sleet and ice Then falling  in the pond having to ride back home soaking wet . Even the ducks  would be frozen solid when we finally got home .! But getting caught in last  years  hail storm   on I 10 was a  painful experience as one might want to endure. I was lucky enough to get under the 1604 overpass before it got really bad . :D
03 1800 VTX RS BLACK
New Braunfels

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
Re: Ok what's the worst weather condition you have ever ridden in ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 12:47:18 PM »

I've been cold, hot, wet, had a rock hit me in the chest, had a bird hit me in the chest (that hurt more than the rock), dust in my eyes, gusty wind blowing me from lane to lane but after this past weekend.... I say Hail has got to be the most painful weather condition I have been in....  It's tough to see, cold, wet, and solid ice hitting you sucks bigtime.  By the way, the VTX handled like a charm.   ;D O0

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 01:10:40 PM »

I've been cold, hot, wet, had a rock hit me in the chest, had a bird hit me in the chest (that hurt more than the rock), dust in my eyes, gusty wind blowing me from lane to lane but after this past weekend.... I say Hail has got to be the most painful weather condition I have been in....  It's tough to see, cold, wet, and solid ice hitting you sucks bigtime.  By the way, the VTX handled like a charm.   ;D O0

Brad,
I was supposed to be in Dallas that afternoon to see my daughter but she never called and I'm glad cause I'd been in the middle of that shoot too. Heard you only suffered a busted lip O0
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 01:14:14 PM »

C'mon Hoot! You don't believe that do you? Or the "my two year old son kicked me in the eye" routine, do ya'?
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

SETexas Vet

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 01:40:17 PM »

Personally for me is a  toss up from when I was 16 years old and I would take my motorcycle duck hunting in El Campo TX , Decoy bag  on the handle bars ,hunting buddy  holding guns (disassembled in a burlap sack on the back) 30 degree with sleet and ice Then falling  in the pond having to ride back home soaking wet . Even the ducks  would be frozen solid when we finally got home .! But getting caught in last  years  hail storm   on I 10 was a  painful experience as one might want to endure. I was lucky enough to get under the 1604 overpass before it got really bad . :D
I can't top that relevation so I just won't say anything about my worst riding experience. Mine was bad enough but doesn't stack up aginst yours.

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 01:41:43 PM »

C'mon Hoot! You don't believe that do you? Or the "my two year old son kicked me in the eye" routine, do ya'?

Well I think I read it on a post from T-Bird which makes only 50% believeable to start with. Haven't heard the lip part from Brad yet
 :-\ :-\ :-\ Now he'll post saying that it did happen and want us to feel sorry for him cause he couldn't drink a beer for two days, damn the luck ;D ;D ;D ;D
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 01:47:16 PM »

I bought my X at Trimble's in Austin, MN, (the 3rd oldest Honda dealer in the nation), and drove it home to Woodbury, MN, exactly 125 miles away. The temp started at 50, and dropped to 45, and it rained the entire way home. That may not seem too bad, but:

• I had no windshield
  • I did not have my rain suit, just jeans and a windbreaker
  • and finally, I had no f'ing brains

The wind chill at 45 degrees, and 65 mph, is exactly 32 degrees. Add water, and it gets not so fun. I got home, and my buddy, who drove my car, asked how it was. My teeth could not stop chattering enough to answer him completely, but I did squeeze out a "F U!!"   :o
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

Bigin

• Rider
  • Rockwall, Tx
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »

Seven other riders and I were out in Colorado back in August-September 2003.  The last day coming back from Cortez to Walsenburg.  We stop at Mesa Verde that morning had some large storms start to roll in.  We decided to get off the mountain, about a third of the way down it started to rain.  No cover on that 2 lane road, just need to get off the mountain.  Started to hail pea size and lightning strikes, never been in that kind of weather ever.  I had a windshield and the hail was still hitting me in the face.  Had to keep pushing, only could do 25-30 down the mountain.  Stop just before the ranger station, it was dry as a bone there.  We thought we had it made from there, just light rain.  Made it to Wolf Creek pass, dropped to 32 degrees, sleet and snow all the way up and rode construction all the way down.  I have never been muddy while riding before.  It finally stopped raining 20 miles outside of Walsenburg.

Greg (beter known as Bigin)

2004 1800 NEO Black Spec 2, Honda Windshield, Mustang Vintage Wide Touring, Tall NEO Backrest, River Road Saddlebags, H&M Instruments Speakers, Cobra Fatty Highway bars

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 06:59:16 PM »

Well I think I read it on a post from T-Bird which makes only 50% believeable to start with. Haven't heard the lip part from Brad yet
 :-\ :-\ :-\ Now he'll post saying that it did happen and want us to feel sorry for him cause he couldn't drink a beer for two days, damn the luck ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D  Yeah, I logged in a bloody lip....  The wife usually dishes it out to my belly....  Less bruising.   ;D

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 10:05:34 PM »

however far it is from texarkana to an hour west of nashville, I went that far in the rain. the biggest problem was the 30 mph wind and a fully loaded bike that was acting a bit like a parachute with all the trucks. it wasn't particularly cold, but it was sucky.

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 10:32:23 PM »

A nice day can have some realy bad conditions. For zample when I was a teen I rode b@#$!% on my friends Alstate motor scooter out to Pap Paws farm... The bad part was he had no gas cap on the tank!!!! It is located just behind the metal cultavator seat... He had a red greasse rag stuck in so the gas would not slosh out,,,, however it was a very good wick... Can you say gasoline blistered backside!!! That was the real red AS#.....bad day in good weather..
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

WILD E

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »

So far I think Bigin is in first place for extreme weather conditions but Vtrx has got most uncomfortable ride by far. Sorry Vtrx but that one made me laugh & brought back some of  my 1st bike memories as a kid  and all the bailing wire  I used to hold it together LOL.
03 1800 VTX RS BLACK
New Braunfels

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 11:26:30 AM »

Hmmmmm Rode to Austin to see my sister and bother in law. I had been watching the clouds and was hoping thjat the rain would keep away from me!!I was riding back roads and met this other motorcycle rider comming towards me. When I got closer I kinda noticed he was soaking wet!! As I met him all he did was hold his hand out and give me thoumbs up!! ( He was riding a Harley by the way!) I came up this hill and I saw this sheet of water comming towards me!! It was like I was riding though a waterfall!! Instant soaked to the bone!! I just rode with my face against the windshield!! Lasted for a total of 30 minutes and it felt like 3 hours. I still laugh about it!!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Kromee

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »

well I have ridden in the snow, thunderstorms, rain, sunny.................oh were you talking about riding a motorcycle?

I know go to my room, bad girl for just thinking it

WILD E

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »

Bad Bad Girl Now go to my room !!!! ;D
03 1800 VTX RS BLACK
New Braunfels
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal