Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Polishing questions  (Read 2113 times)

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
Polishing questions
« on: January 22, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »

Where can I pick up (borrow/rent whatever) the tools needed to do a polishing job on some parts. I can probably get my hands on most of the sand papers, but i don't have a buffer, wheels, or the rouges. Can I just get a buffing wheel and use it on my drill or do I have to use a super fast buffer? anyway. I might do this before the bike sells. thanks for the help, guys... oh, and I'm in houston, but most of you can read, so that question shouldn't come up too much.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Polishing questions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:12:06 AM »

I polished some side cases on one of my Triumph's one time and used a drill. It will work as long as you have lots and lots and lots and lots of time. Need a die grinder to get some RPM
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:19:39 AM »

how 'bout a roto-zip....? even though I've never seen any buffing attachments for it.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »

Check with bgreer and see where he got his supplies. Don't know what a roto-zip is unless it's a brand name for a die grinder.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 09:48:04 AM »

yeah. it's a grinder, but it's sorta specialized and small.

TexPops

• Old Timer
  • Azle (Eagle Mountain Lake) n.w. of Ft.Worth
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 10:36:43 AM »

Lowe's has polishing attachments for Dremels and Roto-Zips--saw em Saturday.

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:13:28 PM »

nice. I'll be there later today.

bgreer

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 03:14:34 PM »

Come by one weekend bro...fix ya right up...or call me 409-474-1063

lloydofsa

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 05:24:06 PM »

I've polished out my rims (eventually had them chromed), forks, rear drive, triple trees, and a couple of other parts. If you have an air compressor and a Harbor Freight (discount tool store) you can buy a small grinder for less than $10.00, some polishing compound, (the stick type that can be found at any Lowes or Home Depot for less than $5.00), then you need to find a place where you can get some small buffing wheels (that will fit the grinder, usually 3", and cost less than $4.00 ea.). The results are much better and faster than using a powerful drill. The total cost (less the compressor) should be under or around $25.00 and the results are great, not to mention saving alot of time and energy by using the air tools.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 05:45:06 PM »

I got a 15 dollar kit from home depot that had three grades of rouge.  It also had the attachment for a drill or a die grinder and 3 buffing wheels.  I think it was made by ryobi.  I attempted the drill thing and, well honestly I don't think I'll live long enough to finish it with a drill. 

Also the I bought one of those rotozips, they have nowhere near the power of a dremel. 

*Closet Darksider*

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:02:03 PM »

we must be talking about different roto-zips. mine will eat my dremel's lunch any day of the week, but it's not a precision tool.  oh, yeah. Did all the paper work on one leg tonight. gotta find some drill mounted buffing wheels and some rouge (lowes should do it). I'll try to get the other one done tomorrow, but my shoulder is tired.

how did you guys smooth out the fender mount flanges?

joe_bob1999

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:16:55 PM »

Air tool is the way to go for parts you can't easily hold up to a pedestal buffer.  Side covers on this XS650 rebuild of mine are polished. Every part I’ve done needed some wet sanding to start with. I go - File (to remove casting seams and deep scratches), 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1200 then fine steel wool with lots of liquid soap as a lube, at this point it will begin to shine then wash with hot water and buff. I have a buffing wheel to start with and finish by hand.  Some people have said that steel wool will get embedded in the aluminum and show up as little rust specs…I’ve never had this problem but I suppose you could use some brass wool if you can find it.  None of this is difficult, just time consuming.

The engine before rebuild                                      After rebuild (still need to put in the cam)

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 11:32:52 PM »

nice work, Joe. Not only do I not have a pedestal buffer, I don't have a pedestal.... I may go back and redo some of the process, though. It's definitely way brighter and more silver looking, but I think it should be shinier after getting to the 2000 grit paper. I'm sure that polishing/rubbing compounds would help at this point, though.

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 12:00:32 AM »

For fork legs, take them to a machine shop, and chuck them ever so gingerly in the lathe. Spin it up to about 500 rpms, and get busy with the paper. 15 minute job tops for both legs. Don't even think about calling me (my lathe is too small.), but I believe we have a member in Pasadena with a small manual machine shop.
Displaced Texan.

pacrat

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress,Texas
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »

Davesax and Cyberhick-  I think Tajas X Rider is who Cyberhick was in ref to.  He posted on Oct 26 offering his shop for a tech session.  Hope that helps Dave. 
Louis
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal