Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stripped....  (Read 3243 times)

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
Stripped....
« on: December 22, 2006, 02:47:17 PM »

Yeah, thought that would get you guys attention!  Seriously, so I am attempting to take the seat off the X to send to the guy who can mod the seat for me.  I get the back bolt off, the right bolt off, and then damn... the left one won't budge.  I kept trying and ended up stripped the inside of the bolt.  I've even tried getting the next size up allen head and slightly hammering it inside to help it move.  Still won't budge.

Great, so the bolt is still in there and it's stripped.  When I'm in NC this week my dad's going to show me something with a drill and some tool called an easy-out.  Are there any other suggestions out there?  I had wanted to send my seat off to the guy when I got back on the 28th.  SUCKS!  :'(
“You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas”
~ Davy Crockett
2006 VTX 1300R candy black cherry

T-BIRD

• Old Timer
Re: Stripped....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 03:47:22 PM »

Your dad is  pointing you in the right direction. Once you get the bolts out and get your seat back you can do a mod where you can use quick disconnec pins and not use the bolts. Have some easy outs if you need to borrow.
>Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
<a href="http://bighugelabs.com/map.php" style="font-size: 75%">Make yours @ BigHugeLab

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 03:48:41 PM »

You can get a 6mm Torx drive and tap it in with a hammer. It looks like allen wrench except it has pointed edges around it. If it's stripped to bad you may have to get a 7mm size and drive it in with a hammer. When you get the bolt out and your seat redone I suggest you do this mod listed below. You'll never have this problem again

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/
On the left side of the page scroll down to seat modifications. That will do the trick.
Al
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

xriderintx

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 05:13:48 PM »

soak it with some liquid wrench...hit it with a punch or chisel a few times and try the torx wrench.....good luck!
03 1800c.. 6degree trees,cp punisher bars,corbin gunslinger,v&h bigshots,xchop

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 01:03:07 AM »

drill both sides out with a 3/8" drill and start using detent pins to hold your seat. It's way easier.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:49:58 AM »

Don't know where you are, but if it's anywhere near here I can get the old one out and set you up with the ball detent pins. It'll cost you whatever Tractor Supply charges for the pins.
02 1800C

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 09:55:01 AM »

Don't know where you are, but if it's anywhere near here I can get the old one out and set you up with the ball detent pins. It'll cost you whatever Tractor Supply charges for the pins.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm up here in the DFW area.  Just got back from NC and dad sent me home with some of his easy out tools.  He showed me how to use them, but I'm still nervous on trying it.
~ Davy Crockett

JamesC

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 03:56:52 PM »

If you can't get it out of there, give me a shout. I live in the DFW area and can help if you need it.

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 09:48:49 AM »

If you can't get it out of there, give me a shout. I live in the DFW area and can help if you need it.

Thanks.  I might give you a shout next weekend if I can't get it out this weekend.  And either way, maybe we can meet up and go for a ride if the weather is good.  You'd be my first X'er to meet!  You an axe-murderer or anything?  I had that stint in the Federal Pen, but they never found the body.  I thought it unfair.  ;)
~ Davy Crockett

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 11:09:04 AM »

Yup...now it's a stripped screw, if you don't do something, next time it'll be a stripped stud, where will it all end? LOL Third strike and you're out and all that! Where's the body leeetle girl? We'll be lookin' for ya at the spring thing and the BBT, ya' know!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 11:12:43 AM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »

What is the spring thing?
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 12:01:02 AM »

Here's a link to it Mike, mid march get together, kinda' like a pre BBT statewide meet, sounds like a likely crew!
http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=1960.0
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Muffmaster

• Old Timer
  • Selective Honesty is Not Lying
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 05:06:38 AM »

Thanks.  I might give you a shout next weekend if I can't get it out this weekend.  And either way, maybe we can meet up and go for a ride if the weather is good.  You'd be my first X'er to meet!  You an axe-murderer or anything?  I had that stint in the Federal Pen, but they never found the body.  I thought it unfair.  ;)

Live in the Carrollton area and had the same problem if you need help let me know.

Muffmaster

icemanhail

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 08:28:35 AM »

Same thing happened to me and I switched out to stainless steel bolts.  Turner Hardware in Farmers Branch has every kind of bolt made.

-Iceman

VTXGRL

• Old Timer
  • Grapevine
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 09:42:28 AM »

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you guys, had the mechanic who did my 600 mile service take it out.  Dad had given me all the tools and instruction, but I was too chicken to do it unsupervised.
~ Davy Crockett
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal