Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1300 Final Drive Issues  (Read 2110 times)

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
1300 Final Drive Issues
« on: December 12, 2006, 10:02:39 PM »

Was in Houston today for an appointment.  When I came out, I discovered that my kickstand would not raise and a small puddle under the rear.  Upon inspection, I found that my final drive was leaking around the nut.  Needing to get back home, I ran the bike by Honda of Houston.  Upon their inspection, they found that the kickstand needed to be replaced, and that my crush-washer was leaking.  The nut has not been taken off or loosened, so how could this have happened?  Mind you, none of this was covered by warranty, as they deem both issues "wear and/or maintenance" issues.  When they replaced the fluid in the final drive, they used "Bay 80/90 Hypoid Gear Oil".  Is this stuff sufficient, or do I need something else?  Reason I ask, is , the shifting seems to be much more noisy and noticeable.  All responses appreciated!
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

VTXDEMON

Re: 1300 Final Drive Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »

the oil should be right, but what happened with the kickstand?

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:24:59 AM »

According to them, the kickstand had developed a "wear" spot, where it would not swivel correctly.

Is it possible for the crush-washer to fail, having never been loosened?
Ronald Reagan

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:21:38 PM »

I doubt it. how many miles on the bike? that oil is a 12000 mile change, I think.

Dusty

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 01:03:43 PM »

I don't know anything about a 1300 but I have a service manual here for an 1800 and it shows to inspect at 8,000 and 16,000 and replace at 24,000. I think I have changed mine 5 times aready and changed to amsoil time before last. Slight over kill on my part I guess.  ::)

Which nut was leaking the filler cap or the drain? The drain has a washer, can't remember if it is a crush are not but the filler has a rubber o-ring. I do know that if you get down on the filler cap to hard it will snap into.

Have you ever lubricated your kickstand? I never had until hipshot shot some oil on it one day. Dang near broke my leg cause it went up so easy.

Bill

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 01:24:08 PM »

I've been with folks whose entire kickstand fell off. :o  Runt the feller's entire ride.  Matter of fact, it was the last time SgtStever was home.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 12:37:12 AM »

Bike has just over 9,400 miles.  Never been changed.  The lower (drain) bolt was the one leaking.  I had planned to switch to Amsoil at 12,000, but, with new fluid in there, I may push it back to maybe 15,000 or so.

I had sprayed some white lithium grease on the kickstand after getting caught out in the massive flooding last month.  Prior to that, no problems.
Ronald Reagan

Maw Maw

• Old Timer
  • Liberty Hill, TX
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 06:21:44 AM »

I have a service manuel for the 1300 if you need to look at it.
Pat
2004 VTX 1300

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 07:23:08 AM »

Bike has just over 9,400 miles.  Never been changed.  The lower (drain) bolt was the one leaking.  I had planned to switch to Amsoil at 12,000, but, with new fluid in there, I may push it back to maybe 15,000 or so.

I had sprayed some white lithium grease on the kickstand after getting caught out in the massive flooding last month.  Prior to that, no problems.

If it were me, I would not wait to change over to Amsoil, a $6.00 quart will last four changes, I would change over now, but thats just me.
thats the first time i have heard of a crush washer failing without being touched. they usually go bad when you losen them or over tighten them.
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

sgtstever

• Master Tejano Rider
  • BOHICA
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 10:10:12 PM »

I've been with folks whose entire kickstand fell off. :o  Runt the feller's entire ride.  Matter of fact, it was the last time SgtStever was home.

Oh sure, blame me!! >:( :o ::) ??? :-\ ;D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

mjoe

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 04:05:49 PM »

manual says 24K to change. just did end October no leaks at 26K but have heard sounds of hard shift since.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »

Oh sure, blame me!! >:( :o ::) ??? :-\ ;D

Truthfully, I only mentioned that incident since there were a couple of Harleys on the trip that didn't have one bit of trouble.  Just an observation.  Not an indictment.  ;D ;D
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 01:52:19 PM »

Just fyi, changing the final drive fluid has no bearing on shifting noise.  It can whine if their is too much heat in the drive, but shifting noise is all in the tranny.
Chunk the llama.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal