Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Helmet shields fogging... need suggestions  (Read 2063 times)

etx-vtx

• Rider
  • "You're only young once, but you can be immature f
Helmet shields fogging... need suggestions
« on: December 01, 2006, 10:07:46 AM »

I have an HJC CL-MAX modular helmet and when riding in cold weather I have a problem with my face shield fogging. I've tried using Fog Off and it somewhat works, but doesn't work for very long before I have to reapply. I'm thinking about getting a breath box/shield for the helmet and/or a FogCity shield insert.

Does anybody have any experience with these or have any tips or suggestions for other products that might help.

I am constantly having to open and close my shield and holding my breath when stopped or going slow because I can't let go of the handlebars.

Thanks

ETX-VTX
'05 1300C Black w/ Memphis Fats 21" & Lowers, V&H Bigshots, Stebel Horn

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: Helmet shields fogging... need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 10:22:19 AM »

When I'm stopped or going slow I crack open the shield. I haven't found a good anti-fog that's 100% effective. When it's cold enough, my glasses sometimes fog up even with the shield cracked open.
02 1800C

Davesax36

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 10:39:43 AM »

fog city is pretty good. you could also spray the inside with PAM cooking spray and them wipe it off. I know it sounds crazy, but it works ok. there's a breath guard at helmetharbor.com that's pretty good.

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 01:12:35 PM »

When I'm stopped or going slow I crack open the shield. I haven't found a good anti-fog that's 100% effective. When it's cold enough, my glasses sometimes fog up even with the shield cracked open.

I hate wearing my helmet period (I think I have a clostaphobic phobia) Look that one up in the dictionary. LOL But when it's cold I don't leave home without it. I have the same model helmet and usually ride with the face shield open except when it's really cold. Use to I could crack it open like JIM recommended, but I guess the hinges have gotten weak and it won't stay cracked now.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 01:26:28 PM »

My Nolan has a fog insert that slides on the inside of the shield.  It works 100%.  Spit may work for a bit, but I never had much luck keeping my other helmet (HJC full face) from fogging. 

Basically, I didn't help other than to suggest buying a Nolan. ;) O0
Chunk the llama.

Bomber

• Old Timer
  • 03' 1800R slightly modded......
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 05:52:29 PM »

Hold yer breath when stopped......

On second thought.......nevermind. :-[

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 09:42:49 PM »

I have a Nolan modular (100) and always had the fog problem in rain or cold ( I have a windshield that won't let the vent system the helmet has "breathe"), even using the rainX antifog. Simple solution: get a small flexible plastic hose...use it as a snorkel to exhale through. Works every time! When I rode in the rain before, I'd also have to crack the faceplate up, which let the rain in. Once I figured out the snorkel, I have never had fog problems until it gets below 20. Im using clear flexible gas line for small motors like weedeaters, hospital air tubing would be best though, I figure.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

pacrat

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress,Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 12:20:56 AM »

try getting a length of nylon/rubber tubing big enough to breathe through, clasp in teeth, hang other end below the helmet opening.  Inhale through nose, exhale through tube.  I wouldn't run it down my shirt due to the fact that after a while, condensation could occur.  Just a thought.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 12:00:16 PM »

I have no problem with my facesheild fogging up at all. What I use is a Half helmet with no face sheild!!  ;D That will solve the problem!! 8)  But on another suggestion I have used some silicon spray and sprayed it on the inside and wipped it real good and seamed to make it better.  Good luck!!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

torque

• Tejano
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »

hmmm take ur shield off?..... :o :D I remember someone or somewhere that it was stated to use  "non whitening" tooth paste. (with no abrasives) ... smear it around on the shield. clean it out... it's virtually fog proof....But I could be wrong.... :-X
I bought Toilet brush the other day, but I switched back to Toilet Paper real quick...

03 'C' Black 110 CI

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=4479&cat=500

Dusty

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »

hmmm take ur shield off?..... :o :D I remember someone or somewhere that it was stated to use  "non whitening" tooth paste. (with no abrasives) ... smear it around on the shield. clean it out... it's virtually fog proof....But I could be wrong.... :-X

I remember reading about that also...never tested it.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 01:19:40 PM »

Reminds me of the joke about the auto repairman and the penquin that blew a seal. ;D
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 01:51:53 PM »

Some soaps work well, but I don't know which ones. A lot of those anti-fog eyeglass cleaners are just soap.
02 1800C

3D Customs

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 12:40:59 PM »

Try this company; they have won some awards on there anti fog. This is there toll free number, 1-877-329-6450
www.kleervu.com

Dusty

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 11:18:04 AM »

I knew I had read it someplace.

Tweak #10: Antifog for pennies a day
Cost: Zip-$24
Benefit: No more vision-robbing vapor

Steal a trick from our scuba-diving friends: Once you get that new helmet, pull off the visor and spit all over the inside of it. Wipe the saliva off with a clean, soft rag and voila, instant antifog coating! Don't like the spit smell? Shaving cream or toothpaste rubbed on the visor and wiped off has a similar no-buck antifog effect. If you absolutely have to spend money, a variety of inexpensive antifog solutions are available at most decent bike shops—our favorite is the oddly named but highly effective Cat Crap for a measly $3.99. Big spenders should check out Fog City Pro Shield's antifog shield inserts (www.modernworld.com), which sell for $17 (tinted) or $30 (photosensitive). All are cheap, effective and loads safer than stuffing your fingers up behind the chin bar to wipe the shield on the road.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal