Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windsheilds  (Read 5273 times)

Jammin2blues

Windsheilds
« on: May 04, 2006, 06:13:08 PM »

Does anyone have a 2up Switchblade windsheild on a VTX1800C?  I am interested in getting this windsheild but do not want to have to look through the windsheild but rather over it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

hillcountryrider

Re: Windsheilds
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »

you will have to look through any windshield that you put on your motorcycle  :)

Jammin2blues

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:21:26 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I have talked to several folks with different windsheilds that say they actually look over the windsheild.  I have seen the small deflector type, but wanted something a little more substantial.  Doesn't the windsheild distort the view a bit? 

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:21:57 PM »

Your passenger is higher than you. If you are looking over it, it will for sure not help your valued passenger!
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

VTeXan

• Old Timer
  • Pearland
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:31:47 PM »

I have it.  I'm 6 foot nuttin and look over it by several inches.  Exactly how many I'm not sure.  This windshield is super for 2up riding hence the name 2up.  With Maria on the back there's little turbulance for us.  Without her back there I get some buffeting even with the lowers on.  I do plan on getting the switchblade the size just under the 2up for when I'm riding alone to see if I can get rid of the shaky head.  Hope this was helpfull.

Brian
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

Jammin2blues

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 06:35:20 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone...just hate to purchase something without being able to see it first, all your feedback is much appreciated. 
Brian, do you have the stock seat? 

Jammin2blues

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 06:53:54 PM »

Quick-Silver,
Wow...thanks.  That is great information...I do not think I would be too comfortable cutting my own windshield.  But...I think the thing to do, based on the link you sent, is to make up a mock windshield and determine the correct size using the methods described, then finding the correct size to begin with...I really would like a removable windshield for when I am just cruising around town.  Does anyone know of any other brands other than the switchblade that has a quick release system for a VTX?

hillcountryrider

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 07:28:41 PM »

when i said that you will look through it ... you will immediately in front of you, but .......... out to the 12 second boundary as described in rider safety coarse ... you should be looking over your windshield.

hillcountryrider

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 07:31:02 PM »

I have the tallest one from Honda for our 1300 R and it works really good ... i would like to see over it just a tad better, but  i am short in height ... this shield works good with no buffeting with or without my wife behind ...

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 07:51:22 PM »

i believe quick silver nailed it. i'm 6'2" and have a 21" shield. it's a memphis shades so this may not help. i actually have about 2" of adjustment in mine. meaning i can slide it up and down the forks. not sure if the switchblade does. might be something to check into. another thing to be aware of is buffeting that is sometimes caused by windshields. it affects everyone differently. good luck and ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 08:08:07 PM »

I don't like windshields, and I don't have one. But I have used them in the past. Lowers definitely help with the buffeting. Since each of us is built differently, and we wear different helmets, buffeting is hard to pin down to an exact angle or height. That said, with a shield that is adjustable for both height and angle, some adjusting will frequently minimize (and sometimes even eliminate) buffeting, even without lowers. Sometimes the angle is the one that appears the least likely. Additionally, you should always be able to see over the shield comfortably. The previously mentioned rain and bugs, as well as road grime after the rain and particularly dense fog (do you really want to drive fast enough to blow the condensation off in 30' visibility?) make it imperative that you be able to see over it in your normal position.
02 1800C

VTeXan

• Old Timer
  • Pearland
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 08:15:48 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone...just hate to purchase something without being able to see it first, all your feedback is much appreciated. 
Brian, do you have the stock seat? 

I have the Mustang.  It sits me a touch closer to the tank.  If you live in the Houston area I'll let you try it.  You just need the switchblade mounting brackets.  I don't want to take them off mine.  They are a Buck Rogers to get on and off.  If you don't live in Houston come out to the Bluebonnet Thunder and I'll have it there as well.

Brian
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 10:01:49 PM »

I wouldn't own a windshield I have to look over. To me, it is there to keep flying rocks and bugs out of my eyes and forehead. I seriously wonder where the "look over the top" thing started, but if that's what you want to do., don't look for sympathy from me when a rock pegs your sunglasses into your eyes. To each their own. The "shield" part of its name says it all for me. I've had a rock crack one of mine years ago. Made a believer out of me! Of course, you might not want to listen to me... I believe in quiet pipes and a helmet too. As crew says "opinions vary...."
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 10:42:03 PM »

what Snake said except the part about quiet pipes.  I got hit in the cheek by a june bug once, only going about 30-40 mph left a big red mark for a few days, I was glad I had my glasses on that night.

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

Dusty

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 03:17:43 AM »

I have a 21" Memphis shade that I use to look through. The Memphis shade is quick connect and disconnect and has about 2" vertical adjustment. Plus the lean of the shield effects the height a little too. There were times I couldn't see through it due to rain and would have to stretch to look over it. Due to a stupid act on my part, the shield got damaged and I cut it down by about 2 ". I now look over it and lower my head in the rain if it's heavy enough for the shield not to direct it over my head. I use to think I wouldn't like looking over and now I don't like looking through it. I guess we adapt to our environment.
I have found that my shield works best for me in an almost vertical position leaned too far back, the wind hits me directly in the forehead. I also have the lowers which I am learning effect  lot to depending on their angle. I added big shots in the winter and learned yesterday that the big shots are a LOT hotter than the stock pipe. My lowers may come off on long rides to help blow the heat away. I'm going to experiment with it anyway.
Like John said, I have had things that hit my shield that I wouldn't have wanted to deal with. Also, in the right light, you can see all the damage to the shield from things that hit it that I wasn't aware of. Without the shield, they would have hit the bike or me.
Try to make some meet and greets, or better yet BBT3 and you can see a variety of shields and combinations. Also, if you buy one too tall and are not comfortable cutting it down yourself. Most glass shops are equipped to cut it for you...for a fee I'm sure.

Bill
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal