Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First time riding in a hail storm!!!!  (Read 984 times)

forevrtxan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • (Leander) Austin, Texas
First time riding in a hail storm!!!!
« on: May 03, 2006, 08:53:29 AM »

Yesterday, a "freak" hailstorm appeared out of nowhere as I was riding home from work!!!!  :-\ :-\
I actually left work 15 minutes early because I saw thunder clouds forming. First, it started to rain, I thought no biggy, then when I was about 3 miles from home it started hailing!!!! The hail was marble size, and there was no covered areas for me to seek shelter. So, I hauled tail as the hail was hitting my arms,head,legs,feet, and shins!!!! :'( :'( Thank God I had my helmet on and body armor!!! I "hunkered" down on the X, to try and cover the tank from the hail, no dents on my "baby". I luckily made it home safe and sound, and without any dents!!! WHEW!!!! :o :o The moral of the story is: seek shelter if there is any chance of you being in a hailstorm!!!!I just got lucky because I was so close to home.
David

'05 1800R2 (with sidestand down)

Old enuff to know better....but young enuff to still do it!!!!!!

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway~~John Wayne

All the way up in there!!!! (Quote from VTreX at BBTIII)

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
Re: First time riding in a hail storm!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 11:46:55 AM »

David, glad to hear you are ok and nothing hapened to your X. We had hail in Round Rock two weeks ago, I was at a bar with some friends having some drinks. I had to leave my X there :'( :'( :'(......She only suffered one minor dent in the rear fender, barley noticible.  :'( :'( :'(
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

Todd

• Tejano
  • HA HA Avatar works! (now if I'd only update it)
Re: First time riding in a hail storm!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:56:09 AM »

We've gotten stuck riding in hail storms twice.  The first time we had to stop riding and run into the woods to hide under a tree.  We were both bleeding fromt he hail (my head, her sholders).  The second time we were in the mountains with smaller hail.  We slowed to a crawl and just let the hail ping off our helmets and knuckles.  It was the knuckles that kept our speed down. ;)

Todd
Swing the Swappers!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal