Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need a lawyer  (Read 2682 times)

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
Need a lawyer
« on: October 29, 2006, 07:16:14 PM »

Was in an accident today. Girl was talking on cell phone and ran stop sign.  Turns out that she got arrested for outstanding warrants and suspended license.  And she had no insurance either.  Anyone know any good lawyers?
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."
"I am the BAD thing that happens to GOOD people!"

bIgPrO

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Houston, South Side
Re: Need a lawyer
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 07:29:38 PM »

Damn, sorry to hear this bro. First off, are you OK?

Somebody will know one that could help you out O0
Bigbear
NO X :(

07 Big Bear Chopper
300 rear tire, 44 degree rake,
S&S 100 Smooth,BBC Tornado Air Kit,V-Twin Pirate footpegs, 191/4 seat height

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 07:49:20 PM »

Yeah ok still alive thank God! Need surgery on broken ankle and tendons.
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 08:12:25 PM »

I know a real good firm. They are not cheap, but they are very good. The firm is Lettler Mendleson. Not sure if the spelling is correct. I have the guys card at my office. Thier office is downtown Dallas. I believe the number is 214-880-8100.

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:22:27 PM »

thanks for the info. Check the card when you get back to work and let me know if that number is good
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."

jackandangie

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 08:29:04 PM »

Unfotunately, with no insurance, suspended license, wanted on warrants, hiring a lawyer may be throwing good money after bad. She probably doesn't have anything to pay you with and when she loses will just file bankruptcy and not have to pay. At the most you'll probably only be able to put liens on any real property she has (like the car) but not collect it until she tries to sell it. It pisses me off. I'm just glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were.

Jack

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 08:33:57 PM »

Thanks for the words of wisdom. It's not about money it is the principle. (and money lol)
kevin
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."

VTXDEMON

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:37:16 PM »

if no insurance in the deal, is very likely that the lawyers will not take your case... unless you pay up front.  Glad you are not too bad. 

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 08:46:21 PM »

If she had no insurance and had outstanding warrants I am betting she has no money. Probably not worth your time or money you will spend on a lawyer. If you have collision and not uninsured motorist on your bike then if I were you I'd pay the deductable and save my self the headache. Hopefully you have health insurance that will cover the surgery. The insurance companies can then go after her, that way they pay for the attorney.

If you decide to go after her you are probably looking at 1-2 years of stress, end up with a judgement and your lawyer always gets paid.  

Just my .02

Good Luck with whatever you do. Hope your surgery goes well.

Sherri

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 11:24:58 PM by sherri »

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

etxvtx

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 07:21:40 AM »

Hopefully you have UM / UIM coverage. Which is underinsured/ uninsured coverage. If so it may/will apply. Make sure you check the vehicle owner of the offending vehicle. The owner (if different from the driver) may have coverage, and may be guilty of negligent entrustment if they let a non-licensed driver operate their vehicle. Not a bad thing to consult an attorney and let them discover and answer these questions for you before you make decisions. Any good personal injury attorney should be willing to sort these things out at no charge to you.

Best of luck to you in your recovery both medically and financially.

Gothicguy

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 08:07:10 AM »

f she had no insurance and had outstanding warrants I am betting she has no money. Probably not worth your time or money you will spend on a lawyer. If you have collision and not uninsured motorist on your bike then if I were you I'd pay the deductable and save my self the headache. Hopefully you have health insurance that will cover the surgery. The insurance companies can then go after her, that way they pay for the attorney.

Actually, since this is personal injury law, it would be a contingent case, and you wouldn't spend any of your money at all.  There are some great lawyers in Fort Worth....and...uh....Actually I am a personal injury lawyer myself.  I office in Hurst.  Been doing it 15 years.  I don't post much about that here, because I don't want you guys to think I am fishing for cases. :P

Your UIM should be your last resort.  It's possible she was on the job, using somebody else's car, or was in the high risk pool.  Those are all things a lawyer can check into for you.  Whatever you do, don't give any money to a lawyer up front for a case like this.  It isn't necessary.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 01:09:25 PM »

Dont worry...we won't hold it against you, being a lawyer, that is !
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Swampfox

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 02:01:12 PM »

What did she look like 1-10 ten is hot. 

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 03:22:14 PM »

about an 8
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 03:24:35 PM »

Gothicguy, if you have a number to your firm let me know and when I get the police report and find out if she has insurance I will give you a call.
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal