Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: V & H Bigshot heatshield clamps  (Read 1329 times)

Dusty

V & H Bigshot heatshield clamps
« on: October 28, 2006, 05:24:09 AM »

Not a biggy but I was wondering if anyone else has had the hose clamps that holds the heat shields in place break?

My front top clamp broke last week and then yesterday the rear top clamp broke. They have only been on the bike for about 8 months. (9,000 miles)

I'm guessin it's because of the cooler weather and the pipe expanding faster than the clamp.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to be replacing clamps eveytime I crank the bike this winter.

Oh......If you hear a rattle down there while the bike is running, don't use your hand to check it out. 

Brain farts hurt!  ;D

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: V & H Bigshot heatshield clamps
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:17:07 AM »

Bill, you must have BigShots. They seem to be the worst for clampbusting. You have to tighten them enough to keep the shields from rattling, but not enough to break when they heat up. Lots of folks have had it happen to them. I don't know if it's because the V&H pipes expand more than everyone else's or if they use inferior clamps, but it's not a rare occurence.

Since it's never happened to me, I can only offer a suggestion: Get some new clamps. Get everything up to operating temperature. Put on your asbestos gloves and Nomex coveralls. Snug 'em down good while they're hot. Not sure if that's even feasible with your pipes, but I'll drink a couple of Weidbuzzers for you if you think it'll help. Or if I think it'll help. Or if anyone thinks it'll help. Let me know if I drank in vain.
02 1800C

torque

• Tejano
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:53:20 PM »

I have the "hose" clamp  from auto zone...on my cover.. it works great , sofar no rattle Yet. if it ever does rattle.. I won't be able to hear it... so...It wont bother me... ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:56:01 PM by torque »
I bought Toilet brush the other day, but I switched back to Toilet Paper real quick...

03 'C' Black 110 CI

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=4479&cat=500

evilashx

• Old Timer
    • www.AccurateConstructionTexas.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:22:16 PM »

Bill I've only had one of mine break and replaced it. It was during the winter a couple of years ago. I think your right on the money as far as the cause. It's funny ....when I first got the pipes they made a lot of noise when I parked the bike after a good ride. Did it when I put them on and 4 years later they still do it. I really cranked mine down when i put them on and with the exception of the one they've all held. I run mine without baffles but i doubt that really has anything to do with it. Good luck bud. See ya in Galveston!!

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 10:05:21 AM »

I've had one of mine bust on my bigshots last year in Colorado.  I believe we ran to an Autozone or a shop just like that.  The strap has held from that point on.  If you get one that's too long just cut it to size.
Chunk the llama.

majorcaliber

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 03:51:52 PM »

I have the same loose / broken clamp issues.  I have not repaired yet so the following is an opinion only.  The is no compresible or expandable component so it is very nearly impossible to tighten effectivly.  My plan is to place a small piece of heat shield material (fabric) inside the clamp to make a small amount of compression possible.  I'm betn on this to cure both issues.  If not no big wup.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 04:16:01 PM »

Yep, mine broke last summer at the Hoot. >:(  Hard to get to to replace without taking all that AppleSauce off, too.

Dusty

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 04:35:22 PM »

Yep, mine broke last summer at the Hoot. >:(  Hard to get to to replace without taking all that AppleSauce off, too.

I was sort of dreading the install untill I noticed that there was a slight discoloring where the original clamp was located. Once I saw that I knew where it went. I opened the clamp and sprung it back a bit so the leading edge would folow the shield as I slid it in. I was able to rope the slot in about the third try. I sure didn't want to take them puppies off.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 08:47:04 PM »

I was sort of dreading the install untill I noticed that there was a slight discoloring where the original clamp was located. Once I saw that I knew where it went. I opened the clamp and sprung it back a bit so the leading edge would folow the shield as I slid it in. I was able to rope the slot in about the third try. I sure didn't want to take them puppies off.

Sweet....  I never have that kinda luck.....   :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal