Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fuel leak ........anyone seen this yet  (Read 3653 times)

minicop

• Old Timer
Fuel leak ........anyone seen this yet
« on: October 22, 2006, 11:37:47 PM »

I got a 03 1300 retro...........

I notice a month or 2 ago a small leak what smelled like gas.   Well the more and more I rode it like over 1000 miles it slowly got worse.  This past week VTXChad and I took the tank off and changed the little o ring in the female side where the petcock goes into the tank...it was alittle bigger in the cross section but it fit snuggly...........and the F&^*^ng thing still is leaking............chad did state he didnt notice any cracks in the tank.....................................any suggestions please help....

(when I say leak ....its like a drop every half hour...)

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
Re: Fuel leak ........anyone seen this yet
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 08:51:41 AM »

havent heard of that before.
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:00:11 AM »

I had a dirt bike once that leaked at the petcock. I finally decided it was leaking around the stem that the lever mounts on. It would leak in both the on and off position but there was a sweet spot in between where it would not drip. I finally replaced the entire petcock assembly because there wasn't anything else to replace to stop it. I figured it just was worn out from use.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 04:49:24 PM »

Convenient topic...different spot for a leak.  As you may have read, I had not even looked at he X since discovering the damage/paint issue.  But...I went in the garage today and smelled GAS!!!  I went to the X and saw a puddle underneath.  It is leaking from the vent line that comes from the tank.  What needs to be done to stop this?  The petcock has no effect on the leak.  It is a drip every 8-10 seconds.
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

Dusty

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 06:47:37 AM »

Is it possible that with the change of temps that condensation is forming in the vent tube and dripping out?   :-\

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 07:35:10 AM »

Is it possible that with the change of temps that condensation is forming in the vent tube and dripping out?   :-\

Thought of that, too.  But it is straight fuel.  Even can see the vapors when you look underneath.
Ronald Reagan

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 10:25:17 AM »

Ride the bike.  It is over filled.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 07:22:01 PM »

Nope, that's not it...have 126 miles on the current tank-full.  Any other ideas? ???
Ronald Reagan

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:01:21 PM »

i've seen a couple of leaks that actually occured through the petcock. one was rebuildable and one was not. on the one that was, you could remove the arm and underneath was another o-ring that was replaceable. not sure if this is possible on the 1300's or not but good luck. might check for cracks in the fuel line as well. 
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 06:30:37 AM »

Nope, that's not it...have 126 miles on the current tank-full.  Any other ideas? ???

the only way to get gas into the vent tube system that i can see is if you had a full tank of gas, took a very hard right turn on a very steep downhill. the vent hole inside the tank is in the upper left of the tank above the filler hole. then you "might" get a few drops, but not a continual drip.

my guess would be a crack at the weld of the vent tube where the rubber hose slips on.

www.pepsX.com

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 06:35:52 AM »

I got a 03 1300 retro...........

I notice a month or 2 ago a small leak what smelled like gas.   Well the more and more I rode it like over 1000 miles it slowly got worse.  This past week VTXChad and I took the tank off and changed the little o ring in the female side where the petcock goes into the tank...it was alittle bigger in the cross section but it fit snuggly...........and the F&^*^ng thing still is leaking............chad did state he didnt notice any cracks in the tank.....................................any suggestions please help....

(when I say leak ....its like a drop every half hour...)

if you rotate the knob to reserve, does it stop? or in the off position? if not, did you lube the O-ring when you installed it? if not, you might want to re-install a new O-ring with a little lube. that will "seat it" better. other than that, I dont know

www.pepsX.com

minicop

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 09:43:17 PM »

Dan,

thats what I love about you brother..oops and Cruisn...you get into the shite........I tryed rotating it to reserve  and it leaked within a few hours...I just turned it to the Off position.  I tell you tho...I was thinking about this earlier..  Normally I will run her to the reserve.  ANd it didnt leak at all when it was in  the reserve sucking for gas.  But, as soon as I filled it up She started leaking again.  I am starting to wonder if she has a crack.   If you remember I have a custom paint job and the reason it got painted was it was layed over in a trailor.  The main damage was to the gas tank.  But to my knowledge it was repaired well, and that was still like 10gs (miles ago) and or 1 year. 

will see what it does in the off position.

Thanks Guys
Andrew
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:44:51 PM by minicop »

minicop

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 06:37:58 AM »

well crap, the petcock leaks in all 3 positions.....hmmmmmmmm :-\ :-\ :-\ >:( >:( >:( :( :( :( ??? ??? ??? :'( :'( :'(

minicop

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 06:40:18 AM »

DING DING DING  ......this is a warranty issue huh O0 O0 O0"i'm back babyyyyyyyyyy"

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 08:18:45 AM »

DING DING DING  ......this is a warranty issue huh O0 O0 O0"i'm back babyyyyyyyyyy"

heres what im thinking, it has a crack at the weld of the petcock (that word cracks me up, who would keep one for a pet anyway) and when you had the tank repaired, it took a long time for the gas to "eat" through the new primer and paint and maybe some bondo. but its a solvent and will eventually soften it.

www.pepsX.com
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal