Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keep safe from ransom ware  (Read 347 times)

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Keep safe from ransom ware
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »

From my companies IT dept. I sure our computer gurus know this but us rank amateurs may not.
                   Ransomware on the Rise (Keep Safe Quick Tips)
Computer attacks are on the rise and the biggest and scariest are Ransomware which is a type of virus code which encrypts your data and forces you to pay a ransom to get it back.  This latest ransomware attack to make the news was Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in California which was attacked and forced to pay 40 Bitcoins (About $17,000 US dollars).
These types of attacks are also happening to home users who are not up to date with their computer updates and antivirus definitions.  For most home users who get attacked by ransomware, the amounts usually range from $210 to $500.00.  If you don’t pay up and don’t have a good backup of your files stored someplace else (like the cloud) you will lose access to your files.
One of the biggest new treat is LOCKY.  This ransomware has exploded lately with over 5 million affected emails as of February 17 according to Symantec.  The average ransom demand is 1 bitcoin which translate to about $420.00.  Although our Nat Sherman Office 365 email system scans all emails for this type of threat, it is possible your personnel email system does not.  So always make sure not open any unknown attachments and keep your systems up to date.
Tips on protecting yourself from ransomware:
•   Regularly back up any files stored on your computer. If your computer does become infected with ransomware, your files can be restored once the malware has been removed.
•   Always keep your security software up to date to protect yourself against any new variants of malware.
•   Keep your operating system and other software updated. Software updates will frequently include patches for newly discovered security vulnerabilities that could be exploited by attackers.
•   Delete any suspicious-looking emails you receive, especially if they contain links or attachments.
•   Be extremely wary of any Microsoft Office email attachment that advises you to enable macros to view its content. Unless you are absolutely sure that this is a genuine email from a trusted source, do not enable macros and instead immediately delete the email.

It's all just part of the adventure!

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
Re: Keep safe from ransom ware
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »

back up, back up, back up!!!!!  I have had to clean up after these type of attacks a few times now.  The amount of downtime/crying is in direct relationship to your backups!

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Keep safe from ransom ware
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:34:16 AM »

Well, I don't know how these get on there but since I've gotten my ipad I almost never use my home desktop.  Whatever I did do on my computer my Ipad has almost replaced it but I do keep my vacation/trip/photography photos on my computer but I have them backed up on two other location and I always do this simultaneously.  But man, I have updated my anti-virus and all that stuff in years. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal