Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My other ride  (Read 3905 times)

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Re: My other ride
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »

I'm going to try and bring it to BBT, but I haven't figured out how to fit it in my little trailer with the other bike.  It's probably going to have to stay.  But would have been cool for the show. 
Ruthie drives the truck and pulls the trailer, you ride the Harley. Done.
It's all just part of the adventure!

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 12:08:23 PM »

Very true.  I could put the sporty in the trailer and ride the road glide.  I may do that. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »

Too Kewl  :thumbup: :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

matap

• Board
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 08:25:08 AM »

I got a chance yesterday evenig to take some up close pics.  Mind you it might be dirty in some spots because I got caught on a hellacious nasty muddy road the first day I got it running.

I'll try to give some detail on what done on each pic

Powdercoated engine case.  On this though, I took the cam cover and chopped a lower portion of it completely off.  Had to hand file it down smooth.  This is a purecly aesthetic look but give the bike a more 'Machine' look if you will.  also took the front pulley cover as you can see in the before and now after and chopped, speed hole'd, and powdercoated.  Added, pulley & timing cover from Figure Machine.  Intake from Rough Crafts - this guy is out of Taiwan and builds some awesome bikes and accessories.

Left side
Powdercoated the primary cover.  Added derby cover and primary chain inspection cover from Figure Machine.  The style is called Denim Ribbed Contrast Cut.

Also relocated speedo down to the tank bolt.  It just clears the tank and handlebars are full lock to the left.  It's kind of hard to see but I position the 50/60/70 MPH at about 11/12/1 o'clock position since that's all need to see.

Also on the front end I installed drag bar that were cut to 28" long and internally wired.  Bar end mirrors that have excellent rearview BTW. 

Lower fork sliders - reconditioned and powdercoated.  Added fork boot, upper 'Roland Sand Designs' fork sleeves.  This is a great cover if the chrome has some pitting or you are just looking at eliminating chrome.  Added "Progressive" brand progressive rate springs in the forks.  The rear also has "progressive" brand progressive rate springs....needless to say this bike is one of the best handling bikes I've ridden.  feels like a sport bike for sure

matap

• Board
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »

So since I relo'ed the speedo I actually purchased a top triple clamp that keeps the 'dummy' lights up top.  Looks pretty spiffy if you ask me.  Front Headlight also got the 'relo' therapy and was lowered 1 1/2" from it's stock position.  Looks way meaner.  Added the front headlight grill.  Also made from a fella in Taiwan.  

Front and rear turn signals converted to LED.  In order for these to work properly I had to acquire a turn signal stabilizer but not just any stabilizer It was a Magic lights from Custom Dynamics.  100% plug and play and worth every damn dollar.  Wiring the LEDs was simple and straightforward without having to rack my brains on electrical crap

Coke bottle handlebar grips.  I'm not sure if I'm gripping them or they are gripping me...... O0.  Oh and the bike actually didn't come with a front fender but I intended to not have one anyways....but I added this front fork brace from RYCA.  This helps with binding when rebounding in the twisties.  

Speed hole brake and clutch levers

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:33:36 AM by matap »

matap

• Board
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »

So on the rear added the 'Progressive' rear shocks 414's.  Dual rate springs.  A little stiff but they keep the tire ont he ground where they are supposed to be. 

Rear turn signals.  I forgot to get a picture of the rear brake light but it is tucked under the fender. 

Also added some superbike spools (the little round thingies on fender strut) to bungee stuff to it.  Originally the struts were covered in some chrome covers but I removed them and saw one other bike that the fender struts were actually really nice.  I really love the I-beam look.  again I wanted to see more machine

A little more up close look at the primary side

my shifter matches the foot pegs and needless to say they are shoe eaters...the knurls are so deep you could use them as a ferrier rasp.  So I made a small leather boot protector and wrapped it to keep my precious shoes from being eaten

The fins of the motor are the only things not actually powdered.  It had to go through a rigerous cleaning over and over again and once I was satisfied I then proceeded to spray it with a ceramic high temp paint.  rated up to 550 degrees.  I think I'll be fine, BC if this thing gets anywhere near 500 degrees I can just kiss my a@@ goodbye. 

matap

• Board
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 08:51:36 AM »

a view from the pilot's seat

Found this super cool tank strap.  It's an original Easy Rider's Japan tank strap.  Very hard to come by and quite honestly prior to me finding it...I've never seen it

So again the bars are measured and cut at about 28" in length.  This length basically come from the width of my shoulders.  It's a starting point for what some call a Lane splitter.  Naturally...if you have good coordination, you know where you fit and don't fit.  So if your bars are as wide as you are you know where you can ride and shimmy through.  almost like wiskers on a cat.  

There that top bar clamp with dummy lights I mentioned and mataching master cylinder top cover.

Way cool machined gas cap.  

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:56:27 AM by matap »

matap

• Board
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »

On to the pretty side:

Exhaust:  comprised of about $40.00 of mandrel tubing I purchased new from Speedway motors.  I did chop and use the stock exhaust flanges and just went from there.  It is a 2-1 exhaust with a 7" glass packed baffle.  Basically meaning that this exhaust has great back pressure which keeps this bike taking off the line like crazy.  I coated it with a ceramic paint as well and then glass wrapped with the color called titanium.  It closely matches the powder color of the wheels.  The billet tips on the exhaust are actually scrap parts from the machine shop my BIL works at.  He had a bunch of them so he gave them to me and said do something with them.  So I did.    

The paint on the tank took me almost a month because of time and weather and 'learning curve'.  in the end I got it figured out.  Started with a metallic black base, then shot a bronzemist metallic.  I hand sanded the bronzemist only to give it that natural racing patina.  once all that was done I topped it off with a 2K poly matte finish clear (basically gas and solvent resistant)

Speed hole'd the stock belt covers and powdercoated.

There is way more I did to this bike than meets the eye but I won't bore you on fine details.

I had this build planned out from day 1 before I even bought the bike.  Nothing bad happened during the build except grinding off a good chunk off my middle finder but that has since healed and was only skin deep, although very deep, it was still only skin deep.  had to re-thread two holes, lost a bolt but found it and everything else was just matter of time and patience....................oh and money :bikerider:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:02:51 AM by matap »

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 10:03:33 AM »

MATAP,

Why can't I see any of your pics?

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 10:48:13 AM »

You need just one more thing.....

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »

MATAP,

You should be able to.  they are hyperlinks to my photobucket acct.  Might be your browser settings?   ???

matap

• Board
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 10:58:03 AM »

You need just one more thing.....

ah.....negative. 

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »

MATAP,

You should be able to.  they are hyperlinks to my photobucket acct.  Might be your browser settings?   ???

I think you may be correct cause I can see them on my phone but not on my computer at work. I'll check into that.

BobWd

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 01:00:11 PM »

I think it might have something to do with our filter settings. They have it set to block certain websites, content, etc.
If you upload them via the "Additional Options" tab here straight from your phone or computer, I can usually see them here at work. The photobucket site must have something that our filters don't like.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:03:42 PM by BobWd »

Niterider

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »

Beautiful job! Truly a piece of art. Hope to see it in person some day. Congratulations!

Mike
White '08 GL1800 with ABS, Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Black '03 1800C;  retro bars, RIVCO risers, BBP lightbar, mustang seat, Paladin backrest/luggage rack, etc.
White '06 GL1800 with Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal