Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Operating Budget  (Read 8254 times)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: Operating Budget
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »

"Example: Mr. Pres. decides to reserve spot A for $500. tells everyone it will be $20 per person to attend. 15 people total show up. do the math=$300. does this mean that Mr. Pres. shells out the other $200. "

With all due respect, I think that the 'pay as you go' method would preclude this.  Example: Mr. Pres finds out (well in advance of the event) that we need to reserve spot A for $500. Tells everyone that we need $500 to reserve the spot, and the vendor needs the money by XX date.

Option# 1: Everybody wants to attend, and the $500 comes in. Spot A is reserved, and the folks who sent in their money are prepaid. After all expenses, following the event, the treasurer refunds any overpayments, based on total receipts.

Option# 2: Nobody cares. The $500 doesn't come in. Event cancelled.

So simple a caveman can figure it out. We shouldn't need $500 standing in an account just in case Mr. Pres. decides to reserve Spot A for $500. Obama will never be elected to office in the Texas XRiders............
02 1800C

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »

Getting all of the funds in early enough is the problem there.  Having some operating cash flow allows event planning and operations to go much smoother.  It allows us to plan and set things up knowing that the funds will come in to cover the cost...

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »

As far as I know, BBT and the website (both being regularly scheduled items of expenditure with a looooooooooong lead time) are the only things that advance funds are needed for. Have I overlooked something?
02 1800C

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 07:03:09 PM »

As far as I know, BBT and the website (both being regularly scheduled items of expenditure with a looooooooooong lead time) are the only things that advance funds are needed for. Have I overlooked something?

How much is BBT going to cost next year?  That way the exact amount of money needed can be collected. 
Ride it like you Borrowed it :)

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 07:34:51 PM »

to clarify, getting enough folks to actually send in funds that far ahead of time is a bit tough...  The 'pay as you go' idea is good in theory, but not realistic in practice.  Many folks may not want to commit funds to something 6 months to a year ahead of time.  All of the plans and costs for BBT aren't finalized that far ahead of time either.  Sure we'll have a location, but enough people would not pre-register (based on passed trends) without concrete plans (shirt design, schedule of events, food, etc) or the exact cost of registration.   However, when the group does have some funds set back, then it can take on the risk of not having enough per-registration or even participation to cover all costs. 

Like the example, $200 short...  the group covers the funds, then a month before the event 5 more registrations come in, and the day of the event, 5 more people show up and register/pay...  everything goes off without a hitch, and we didn't have to cancel the event.

This has worked over & over, and has helped cover the expense of BBT/website when participation in recent years didn't cover those costs (hence the $48 remaining now vs. ~$1500 remaining when participation was higher, and the site was hosted for free).  Having the operating flows keeps everything running smooth.

Now, a group is scoping out new possible BBT locations, we'll need to put a deposit down ASAP to reserve a place (maybe on food too, or a security deposit that is refundable), and use the funds we have, or have recently received to do so.  Or we could ask everyone to send $35 now, without knowing exactly where, when & how BBT will happen, and whether they will need to send more later, or get some back.  And if more is needed later, and 10 people can't go due to timing or cost, and want a refund, then we are another $350, and have to ask for more again from those going...  But with some operating funds, most of that can be avoided.

***the $#'s above are strictly for illustrative purposes, and are not meant to represent actually account balances at anytime (I don't have those figures).

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 11:44:54 PM »

Well with all said and not quite done..........Get us a bottom dollar cost of the Website and I will donate to it.

Members that visits TXR several times a day (me) can donate a little and before you know it we will have the funds to pay for the site. A dollar here and a dollar there adds up real fast.

Jim and I have been doing more RVing then Riding but we donate to the BBT by sending the $35.00 fee. Yes, Jim gets a t-shirt. I even send in extra to have someone mail it to us but we have such good friends they always bring it to Jim. So in other words I actually send more.

Come on Folks instead of bantering back and forth open your wallets and throw in a couple of dollars......You won't miss it.

By the way where do we send donations? I know several have asked. 
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 06:23:36 AM »

By the way where do we send donations? I know several have asked. 
http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=17170.0 Thank you for your help!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 07:58:45 AM »

I find it interesting that there are groups that are specific to brand/model.  When I ride I am going to primarily be with HD's as my brother and a few friends ride Harley's.  VTX is a niche and there will be interest and people who want to meet up and ride but they don't make this bike any longer and your demographic is diminishing.  Actually, when I signed up I was thinking that this was just a Texas Riders forum and not just VTX.  I am not disapointed that it is just VTX, just know that traffic will not be too heavy no matter what you do.  And I know from running forums in the past (TexasATVs.com) that it's really hard to get people to part with their cash to support a "free" forum.   The actual owner footed 100% of the cost for years before asking a fee for members.  At the time there was more than 10,000 members and the voluntary fee generated enough cash to host the site for about 5 years.  As with all good things, a-holes came in and screwed it up, politics ensued and Facebook happned.  I like the format of the forums, I like the fact that I can go to a section for tech help, sell/buy and the like.  I hope that this forum sticks around for a while.

I know that doesn't help...just thought I would put my $0.02 in. 
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »

I find it interesting that there are groups that are specific to brand/model.  When I ride I am going to primarily be with HD's as my brother and a few friends ride Harley's.  VTX is a niche and there will be interest and people who want to meet up and ride but they don't make this bike any longer and your demographic is diminishing.  Actually, when I signed up I was thinking that this was just a Texas Riders forum and not just VTX.  I am not disapointed that it is just VTX, just know that traffic will not be too heavy no matter what you do.  And I know from running forums in the past (TexasATVs.com) that it's really hard to get people to part with their cash to support a "free" forum.   The actual owner footed 100% of the cost for years before asking a fee for members.  At the time there was more than 10,000 members and the voluntary fee generated enough cash to host the site for about 5 years.  As with all good things, a-holes came in and screwed it up, politics ensued and Facebook happned.  I like the format of the forums, I like the fact that I can go to a section for tech help, sell/buy and the like.  I hope that this forum sticks around for a while.

I know that doesn't help...just thought I would put my $0.02 in. 

Don't let the name fool you!  This site was set up all things VTX, however you will find out that there are several people that moved on to Harleys, Goldwings, Victorys, ect... and we don't hold it against them.  They are still active members in the group and have even become our Pres.  This is still a VTX Forum, but with a large focus on riding in the best state available!

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »

Don't let the name fool you!  This site was set up all things VTX, however you will find out that there are several people that moved on to Harleys, Goldwings, Victorys, ect... and we don't hold it against them.  They are still active members in the group and have even become our Pres.  This is still a VTX Forum, but with a large focus on riding in the best state available!

It does seem pretty VTX specific and no ride centric.  That being said, it's like all good things, once you are in and develop those relationships you just tend to stick around no matter how it started. 

I don't want to hijack this thread no matter how old. 

Back to the budget.....
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 08:22:45 AM »

It does seem pretty VTX specific and no ride centric.  That being said, it's like all good things, once you are in and develop those relationships you just tend to stick around no matter how it started. 

Back to the budget.....

Ok, I have to correct myself already.  After looking at all the topics, I do not see the VTX 1300 and VTX 1800 categories...I am mixing this forum up with VTXCafe.  I know.....   

:redcard:
-Scott
2019 FLHXS

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 08:47:16 AM »

Back to the budget.....

Ok, I have to correct myself already.  After looking at all the topics, I do not see the VTX 1300 and VTX 1800 categories...I am mixing this forum up with VTXCafe.  I know.....   

:redcard:

It's OK Grasshopper ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »

All I can say is that I am glad to be done with the task of running this. I would also like to add... it sure is funny how everybody has all of these good intentions and good ideas now. We have had pitiful turnouts and dwendling participation for years.I don't recall very many of you who are voicing their opinons now volunteering to help before. Therefore I feel that your input is as worthless as tits on a boar hog! With that final note good luck and get your ideas rolling in, but don't forget it also will take money to keep this thing together.
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

Rocket67

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Legend In My Own Mind
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »

All I can say is that I am glad to be done with the task of running this. I would also like to add... it sure is funny how everybody has all of these good intentions and good ideas now. We have had pitiful turnouts and dwendling participation for years.I don't recall very many of you who are voicing their opinons now volunteering to help before. Therefore I feel that your input is as worthless as tits on a boar hog! With that final note good luck and get your ideas rolling in, but don't forget it also will take money to keep this thing together.

I definitely understand how frustrating it can get when you are trying to get people to help with something that they use daily.  Me, I just got here.   :angel:

-Scott
2019 FLHXS

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »

I don't have a VTX anymore and haven't for a couple years now and probably won't own one again.  I'm still here and and on average post daily to every other day. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal