Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any N. Tex Tech Sessions planned?  (Read 1180 times)

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
  • Let's ride...wherever...whenever
Any N. Tex Tech Sessions planned?
« on: September 12, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »

I think I can ride it a little further...but I need to replace the stock wheel bearings and Stock Fork Bearings soon before the Death Wobble becomes too much.
Initial estimate from the shop down the street is $400 for just the fork bearings.
Any thoughts?
06 VTX 1300R  (sold 10/18/14)
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Texan... Born and Raised..

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Any N. Tex Tech Sessions planned?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »

Ok there'll be a Tech session at my place on September 28, 2013, Saturday. We will cover the how too's and do an oil change on my bike. At the same time we'll cover washing and waxing Hooter's bike and I'm buying all the beer ( for the person changing the oil and wash'n and wax'n).  :c :c

:flag:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:07 PM »

Alright Bobcat, here's the deal in a nut shell. Not a person on this board minds helping out another member, friend, coheart, etc. fix or repair their bike with in limits. Tec sessions are a good way to learn about your bike and help you get the balls to work on it without worring about what your fixing to foom up. It happens from time to time, the ole woops will reach out and grab your gonads. Stuff happens. Now about your problem.
If you've got a death wobble as bad as you say, number 1 you wouldn't catch my arse on the seat. Number 2, what are you calling shock bearings? Shocks don't have bearings. Are you talking about the tripple tree? Most of the time you can retension the casel nut in there and be good. I replaced mine on my 1800 cause the bearings had been loose for a long time and did have some broken balls, I would expect that after 75,000 miles. 3rd, why do you think your front wheel bearings or out? If they were shot then your front brake caliper would be dragin and raising hell plus taking a chance of it locking up. Sorry, not that I've seen everything on these bikes but I've never ever heard of front whell bearing failure, did on a new Harley last year. I personally would be looking at your front tire for cracks, splits, and look hard for bubbles between the casing and the tread. Just my $.02
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »

Not shock...stock bearings...just get a wobble when I decelerate around 35-45...and sometimes when I go into a left sweeping turn.  Reading on the forums on the VTX Cafe they say that the 1300 should have the fork bearings and wheel bearings replaced.  I have someone that will help me that has an X, just wondering if anyone else with a 1300 has experienced the same.
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »

Yep I had the same issue, bought all balls for front wheels and tripple tree, only replace the bearings in the tripple tree and have not had the problem since. Still have the wheel bearings and will replace them some day  ;D ;D Just not now.

I get it about the sweeping curves not a good feeling, get er done you will be happy you did.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:06:31 AM by Gumbo »
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Bobcat Biker

• Board
  • Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »

Thank ya much Gumbo..
07 VTX 1800R (sold 2/21)
21 Goldwing DCT "Elsa"

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 03:21:51 PM »

Gumbo's 1300 is much smoother in the curves since he got the all balls, but he still wobbles when he walks :stickpoke:
It's all just part of the adventure!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »

Gumbo's 1300 is much smoother in the curves since he got the all balls, but he still wobbles when he walks :stickpoke:
We are having our van worked on today, so I have a turkey wobble going on right now :c :banghead:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal