Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2014 Indian  (Read 5611 times)

hogcowboy

• Tejano
  • 2116 Indian Roadmaster (now triked)
    • Rock Hill Ranch
2014 Indian
« on: August 11, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »

I didn't have much of a choice when I wrecked my VTX for a replacement. And at $18,000 new if the new Indians are out of reach for most. I ended up on a Harley but if the wreck happened now, I'd sure be looking at Indian. And in 5 years the used ones should be at a decent price. Still they don't have a drive shaft and that is the reason I had a VTX to begin with. Gravel roads here. So have you guys seen these reincarnated Indians yet? What are you going to when replacing your VTX? One thing I think is for sure, Harley will be paying attention to what is going on over their fence. Finally their "take it or leave it" attitude might bite them. Just curious what ya'll think.
Do everything as if your life depends on it. IT COULD! Patriot Guard/American Legion Rider

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Re: 2014 Indian
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »

replaced my VTX with a Goldwing. Not convinced an aircooled V twin is the future. The VTwin does lend it self to produce a good looking bike. It is a good looking MC. I can see it appealing to the Harley crowd. Just not for me,
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:02:19 PM by xcaliber »
It's all just part of the adventure!

Rod 1942

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:29:54 AM »

I'm with you Xcaliber, if it's not shaft drive and liquid cooled, it's not for me. But they are sweet looking. The same goes for the Victory, very good looking but lacks what I need.

Xlr8

• Tejano
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »

Well I like them A Lot.  They seem to be a really great bike.  I wouldn't knock my Victory with it's air and oil cooling system.  It's been a rock solid system and they have engineered it to the point that I have not read of anyone having engine failure due to heat and cooking the engine.  I think these new Indians are here to stay and will turn a lot of heads and sell a lot of units.  Polaris stumbled hard the first few years out of the gate with the Victories making some VERY forgettable bikes for almost 10 years.  Now they have taken what they learned and applied it to a legend and iconic name to take on another legend and iconic name.  Harley riders for some odd reason will be more acceptable to Indian riders (more so than Victory riders) because of it's "heritage" and the fact that it's an Original American motorcycle being produced by an American motorcycle company.  Some people keep retorting that they will go out of business again, but Victory has kicked along 15 years now with a $3 Billion dollar company behind them.  The New Indian will last at least that long and sell way more units.  It will be great for motorcycles and motorcyclist in the future.
Well it's time to either get busy livin, or get busy dyin....Andy Dufresne- Shawshank Redemption

Don't be afraid of failing at something that matters, be afraid of succeeding at something that doesn't matter.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »

They are pretty bikes . It appears that HD has added a liquid cooled componet to their "Rushmore series" sounds similar to the set up that BMW added to their aircooled RT lineup.

* Update: Harley-Davidson has incorporated liquid-cooled cylinder heads in their Twin-Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103 engine (found in the 2014 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited and Tri Glide Ultra) and the Screamin' Eagle Twin-Cooled Twin Cam 110 powerplant (in the CVO limited). The system hides two radiators in the fairing just aft of the rider's legs, and routes water hoses into the tops of the cylinder to primarily cool the exhaust valves.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »

I will replace my 2002 Retro with.....(wait for it).....another 1800 retro VTX! Most any for sale will have less miles than mine.  Since Honda made its manufacturing goof with the 1800V and decided to throw 1300s into their "new" line of cruisers, I think their neck is still hurting too much to chance them putting out anymore 1800V sized powerplants before at least  2020 or so. Their return to the 1100 four speaks loads towards the Honda turtle pulling it's head back in after getting hurt stretching the VTX and rune neck.
SSSSsssnake
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »

They are pretty bikes . It appears that HD has added a liquid cooled componet to their "Rushmore series" sounds similar to the set up that BMW added to their aircooled RT lineup.

* Update: Harley-Davidson has incorporated liquid-cooled cylinder heads in their Twin-Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103 engine (found in the 2014 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited and Tri Glide Ultra) and the Screamin' Eagle Twin-Cooled Twin Cam 110 powerplant (in the CVO limited). The system hides two radiators in the fairing just aft of the rider's legs, and routes water hoses into the tops of the cylinder to primarily cool the exhaust valves.

Harleys press release does not say anything about including a water cooled head on thier Rushmore series 103 CI engine.  They did get a patent on a water cooled last year but I've yet to see a bike they have built with this head on it.  I'll look at the Tri Glide you mentioned.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/harley-davidson-2014-touring-models-project-rushmore-video/

Harley (like BMW) had to go to a water cooled head to up the hp output and keep NOX emmission levels in check.  They were at thier temp limit on thier current "air cooled only" cylinder and head combination.  The water cooled head seems to be working ok for BMW.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »

If you read the spec's they are calling it "Twin cooled" and if you watch their video it sure looks like radiators behind the bikes that have the lower fairing

hogcowboy

• Tejano
  • 2116 Indian Roadmaster (now triked)
    • Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »

And inside those fairing lowers is a reservoir that sure looks like it has coolant. Wonder if you let the coolant go empty and the engine blows, if they'll cover it since they claim Twin Cooled and not liquid cooled? :couch:
Do everything as if your life depends on it. IT COULD! Patriot Guard/American Legion Rider

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »

More info ,apparently they are somewhat concerned about liquid cooled being accepted by their base so they are keeping it low key. http://www.jsonline.com/business/riders-have-mixed-views-on-harleys-new-motorcycles-b9978724z1-220286451.html

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »

sorry didn't intend to :threadjack: your post.  The new Indian is a purty bike. Back on point!

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »

I would give the Indians a year or two to make sure they stick around and hoe they do.They are ice looking bikes for sure.
Alvin,Texas

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »

I would give the Indians a year or two to make sure they stick around and hoe they do.They are ice looking bikes for sure.

They will be here in two years, and many more. My best bud is Director of Supplier Quality for Polaris, and they have sunk the money and the time into these bikes. That can't be said about all the numbnuts who have tried to bring the brand back to life for the past few decades. And if they keep pumping out that butt ugly Victory Vision, they will keep making Indians.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

seefriedm

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 06:50:16 PM »

This is as good a place as any to post about my last week (little over 3000 miles from Tuesday the 13th to last Monday) and the NEW Indians. hogcowboy funny meeting you on this forum also  :t seems you have good taste in bikes  :thumbup: I road up to Minneapolis last week on the X to ride the new Indians, ride to the Development Center in Wyoming, MS, ride to Spirit Lake in Iowa for a factory tour (twice), met Cyril Huze and soooo much more. I have to say these bikes are fast, smooth, brake like a Wing with ABS and handle even better than anything I've swung a leg over outside of a crotch rocket. The bike on the 1st to 2nd shift at 32mph, and 2nd to 3rd at 53-55mph and 3rd to 5th at 90 will lift the front end off the ground. I will always love my X but man after riding the new Chief sure hurt swinging a leg back over her for the 1000 mile ride home. I'm headed back up to Twin Cities Indian to pick her up and ride her home. I ordered a 2014 red Vintage that’s due in middle to the end of Sept. Here are some picks and videos we took last week.

Mark
Top 3 below are videos...looks like the site is allowing embedded videos again

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:52:38 PM by seefriedm »

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »

:cool2: Trip! :thumbup:
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal